“Clean, affordable but small pillows”

Best Western Savannah Historic District
Ranked #51 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta
“Clean, affordable but small pillows”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

If all you want is a basic hotel room with A/C and proximity to the action, this is perfect. Our third floor back side room was quiet, clean, and offered no extras. My only complaints are the small overstuffed pillows and the carpet not lining up with the bathroom tile. Breakfast was adequate, the remote on the tv worked, and the staff was really nice. I like having a parking pass so no one else could park in the lot.

Room Tip: Third floor, back of motel. It's much very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the pillows and carpet issue, I will have Maintenance repair at once. Thank you and have a great day!

Thanks,
Jeff Fouste

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel is overpriced for what it offers, it offers noisy rooms, hot in summer rooms with poor security due to no inside corridors, pool small and non inviting; some staff rude. The breakfast is one of the best things offered, the in room refrigerator did not chill, there was no microwave, the rooms had an awkward set up with odd doors, and the bathroom ventilation was nonexistent. There were superficial attempts to make the room more upscale, but there was no real upscale that deserved the disproportionate rates.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for contacting Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay.

This certainly does not sound like our hotel, if so I am so sorry that you were so unhappy with our accommodations. We all strive to give our guest clean, comfortable room at a reasonable rate.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience to you.

Your comments are of great concern to all of us and we will make immediate corrections.

Again, this is not typical of the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District, we appreciate your comments and wish you safe travels in the future.

East Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Right next to River St. ( Savannah River ) with a friendly staff, clean & with decent sized rooms. Have stayed there before & will probably stay there again when visiting Savannah.
Don't need 200 characters to say whether I liked a place or not.

Room Tip: Rooms pointing toward main road can be noisy. A white noise fan is available.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
We love Repeat Guests! Thank you for taking the time to share on Trip Advisor!

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed here a while back over Christmas (better late than never with reviews!) Overall the stay was average. I traveled with my husband and one of our other friends. We had a standard double room on the 3rd floor. The room itself was spotless, everything in it was clean and kept clean the entire stay (especially the bathroom). The room had an exposed brick wall which was kind of neat. My husband described the decor as "George Washington goes on vacation." We had plenty of towels always and the room was made up everyday. Beds were a little lumpy but it wasn't that big of a deal.

The hotel is at the intersection of two main roads so the rooms are noisy if you get one facing the street side (which is what we had, even though we requested otherwise). It is a little out of the dead center of the historic district but it is walking distance to just about everything in district. We walked from the hotel all the way down to the Pirates House with no problems.

Only had the breakfast one morning and it was your standard "deluxe continential" with the sausage, questionable eggs, toast, muffins, coffee, juice, etc. Good spread, but we were rarely up in time to get it.

One great thing about this hotel is that they have their own parking lot so you don't have to circle around in a garage then walk to your hotel like we've had to do on past trips to Savannah. It's a city thing though.

I doubt I'd stay here again just because I like trying out other hotels when we travel, but for the price we paid and the location of the place, it was a good deal.

Room Tip: Get one on the backside of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! I am excited to announce that over the next few months the hotel will be completing the guest room renovations to include all new beds, bedding package, draperies, plantation shutters (in our beta tests we have seen noise complaints reduced by as much 50%), and that’s in addition to the new flooring and 37” LED TV’s!

Thanks again,
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Good location...close by River Street and the City Walk. Attrative pricing for traveling on a budget.this would be a great location for older travelers that might want to be within a stones throw of the shops and sounds of the City Walk. I found this area to be quite diserable.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with others! Thank you and enjoy your day! We hope you visit us again in the near future!

Thanks,
Kearny, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with the hotel sectirity and night time front desk. The security guard was aggressive and rude while handling a noise eviction somehow caused by a guest alone in the room. There was only one guest in the room at the time complaints were made but the ten minute eviction clock began. When I finally made it to the room I was surprised to see a male security guard yelling at the one woman in the room. I was then directed to take everything and get out now. No respect for personal property shown. He did not want to allow the other guest time to find her car keys which she needed in order to comply with his request to leave. The lack of respect made it hard to believe he was an actual police officer. He did not correctly explain the policy. I was told everything had to leave the room and I was not told I could have called another non aggressive officer to help us or come back and take non essential items in the morning with supervision. So I packed up the items for two people since the third member of the group was not able to make it back within the ten minute window. I tried to take all the items on the rolling cart but I was not able to zip the bags or stack them properly within the two minutes I was allowed by the time I actually got to the hotel. The guard proceeded to tell me how he didn't have time for this. He stood in the doorway and huffed about how long it was taking and laughed that I was not able to carry the belongings for two people who had luggage for week long trip. He followed me out as I am assuming he found me less intimidating then the other woman. As things were falling off the rolling cart he became more agitated and rude instead of offering assistance. During this abrupt process a bag containing my grandmother's earrings "vanished". When I asked about help to find my bag I was told about the complaints of other guests and how the hotel's only concern was lost revenue. I would hate to see how this hotel handled people who were not cooperative and appologising the way I was or maybe that is why the guard felt he had the authority to speak to me in such a disrespectful manner. If you stay here becareful with your belongings because the staff has no concern for what was called a "missing" item. When I reported the security guard I was told "I will talk to him but nothing will happen."

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Angeliqueromano
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for contacting Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. I am embarrassed by the lack of service you describe, and I will speak with the Police Officer immediately.

I would like to clarify that this hotel issues multiple warnings to an unruly room to correct disruptive behavior, however if the behavior is not corrected the hotel must remove the unruly occupants from the property to ensure other guests are not disrupted.

The BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District employs off duty police officers to patrol the property and enforce the policies set forth by the hotel. I apologize if the author of this review felt that the officer on duty was anything but professional while evicting the room’s occupants for their disruptive behavior. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction. We rely on our guests to let us know when we have fallen short. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies. We look forward to bringing you resolution and satisfaction concerning this matter.

Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Have been conning to Savannah for quite a few years.We had never stayed at thus hotel before and so glad we did..Yes it can be a little loud at times at nite so I'd stay on front of hotel.Could thing was if you stayed in back near river could hear boats conning in.I loved that! They have a sound machine in room which was great for keeping noise down..

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Louise L
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We are so happy you enjoyed your trip to Savannah! It is always good to hear that the sound machines installed in all of our guest rooms helped to reduce the noise from Savannah's bustling Historic District. We hope to see you again in the near future!