“Noise from airfield and very humid room”

Best Western Central Inn
Ranked #37 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Maybe our family didn't do full homework on this one night stay, but we were anyway very disappointed with the place. The air traffic at the nearby airfield was much heavier and louder than expected. We woke up several times during the night by air force transport planes and helicopters. The room we got was very humid, which probably is more common to hotels that have room entrance from outside (motel style), rather than from an inside corridor (hotel style). We will try to find somewhere more quiet the next time we go to Savannah. We have better experiences with Best Western elsewhere. Breakfast was plain and simple but ok.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mbrtraveller
GM31406, Manager at Best Western Central Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

I am very sorry to hear that you encountered such unusual circumstances and inconveniences during your most recent experience with us. I also regret to hear that you were not satisfied with the layout of our hotel being so similar to that of a motel; and I sincerely hope you will someday return to enjoy the features and amenities that set our place apart from the crowd.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Best Western for 4 nights a week ago. I read the other review about the wifi not working, and I have to say that they must have stayed right after we left because that's one of the best parts that we encountered about this hotel. We have stayed at other hotels in the same area recently and this one had the strongest wifi signal for us to work from the room. There was one afternoon where there was a hiccup with the wifi, I called the front office, they said they were working on it, and it was back up and running within 30 minutes.
Pros: room was a nice size, sink/bathroom area is slightly separated from the room, wifi, comfortable bed, a/c worked very well (which is very important in Savannah), parking was fine, staff was very nice, breakfast was served in the morning, refrigerator worked very well.
Cons: the water pressure in the shower was a little more than a dribble, shower did drain slowly (but that's to be expected in an area where people are going to the beach and bringing back sand), noise from the heliocopters and planes at the air base next door (but at night the a/c drowned a lot of that noise out).
Even though I mention the distance to the air base as a con it was pretty cool to see how close those planes were. When you're outside, cover your ears when they come by, but they're super low and it's awesome to see them.
Overall, we had a pleasant stay. Best Western isn't a 4 star hotel so I don't expect anything fantastic. This was neither the nicest one I've been in nor the worst - pretty middle of the road for Best Western but we did not have any issues. Oh, and you can walk to Waffle House because it's literally right next door.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor - not sure if you hear people above you on the 1st.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank mereymerey
GM31406, Manager at Best Western Central Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

We sincerely appreciate your time and effort to write us a very insightful review. We want you to know that your feedback and description of your experience at our hotel is of utmost importance to us. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed there and the staff was extremely pleasant the hotel was beautiful I felt very welcome there! I will stay there again and I will recommend my friends and family and the front desk girls was so nice and helpful for me. What ever I needed they were there to help Me I hope when I come back they will be there such beautiful young ladies!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Latoya M

Thank you so much for your kind comments and review regarding your most recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our high standards of housekeeping and our friendly and welcoming staff. Thank you so much for sharing this experience and giving us the opportunity to recognize their exemplary work.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our first time in Savannah and decided to stay at the Best Western Central Inn based on price and on-line reviews. We were pleased with our room. The room was well-maintained, clean, and comfortable. The continental breakfast was fairly typical for hotels and was very busy. Note: This hotel is located near a military air field. So don't be surprised by low flying aircraft. This did not cause any issue with us as far as a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank kcompoundsouth

I am glad that you found our accommodations to be comfortable and our service to be welcoming. We are so glad that your stay was peaceful and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Best Western after researching several other hotels in the same area. I settled on this one after staying at another Best Western recently in Rhode Island which was very nice and well priced. At the time of booking I was under the impression that all Best Western were owned and operated by the same company. Unbeknownst to me I later found out they are individually owned and operated. I booked online which was easy and it was a reasonable rate, $64 a night for a weeknight. I chose this hotel because of the convenient location, about five minutes from downtown Savannah. Check in was easy and the employees were courteous. The surrounding area seemed a bit shady and the hotel is "motel" style with outside hallways. I didn't expect perfection but I certainly hoped for something up to the standard of the previous Best Western I had stayed at. The room had a gross smell which I don't think ever went away. Once the air conditioning was turned on the smell seemed to subside a little or maybe I just got used to it. The "WiFi" did not work the entire time we were there (3 days). I called the front desk and was told that they were also having internet issues but the next day the same thing occurred. Also the shower was slow draining and the water pressure was insane, I felt like I was getting pressure washed. This location is also by a military base, which wasn't a huge issue but just be aware that LOUD planes and helicopters fly over frequently and as early as 8:30am and continue throughout the day. So if you plan on staying in the room during the day then you might want to rethink this location. After we checked out of the hotel we decided to stay another night and chose to stay at the La Quinta on Abercorn Drive, the price was comparable to Best Western and a thousand times better. Overall, I wouldn't stay at this location again because there are much better choices for the same price. Oh on a final note, the ice machine did not produce any ice.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marie7680

We appreciate that you've taken the time to leave advice for our future guests. I regret to discover that you weren't thoroughly impressed with our accommodations and services during your most recent stay. We do appreciate that you've taken the time to bring the matter to our attention. On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you for choosing our hotel and hope you give us a chance to serve you again and will experience the improvements we have made with our service.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is our second stay at this hotel. The first room assigned to us smelled musty but that was resolved immediately. We were given another room. The check-in staff and the cleaning crew are wonderful. They always make sure you are happy with your room. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The breakfast is adequate and there is something for everyone. This was our second stay and we will stay here again if we visit Savanna again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
4  Thank Emma K
GM31406, Manager at Best Western Central Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and had such a memorable experience. We thank you for your business and hope to see you back very soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great Hotel! Rooms were very clean great location close to historic district staff were very helpful awesome breakfast well lighted parking lot. I booked thru best western. I will stay there again on my next visit to Savannah

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank peterga5960 .

I am so glad to know that you found your room to be clean and accomodations so enjoyable. We appreciate you taking the time out to write this review and hope to have the chance to serve you again in the very near future.