“Eclectic ~ Down To Earth ~ Clean Food”
Review of Sentient Bean

Sentient Bean
Ranked #4 of 21 Coffee & Tea in Savannah
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Since the Bean (as it’s known in the neighborhood) opened its doors in 2001, we’ve tried to make decisions that are good for our customers, our community, and our environment. Strangely enough, we also believe that this way of doing business is good for the bottom line. Our fair-trade coffee is organic, as is our produce and most of our staple ingredients. We are committed to using locally grown ingredients as much as possible, don’t fry anything, and make most of our food from scratch. We are vegetarian, and very vegan and gluten-free friendly! In 2008 we got rid of disposable plastic ware and we continue to recycle and compost. We host almost nightly events organized by members of the community and we strive to be welcoming to even the strangest among us. Check out our website for upcoming events.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

To say this is my ultimate Fav place to eat & hang out in Savannah is an understatement. Basically a coffee shop that serves clean food with no fancy airs ~ Real People with a Bohemian Twist! Open 7 days a week from 7AM-9PM. Across the street from Forsyth Park & next door to a Health Food Store ~ A Win Win for Me! Did I mention the prices are extremely reasonable! If you are in Savannah & tire of the "Greasy Expand My Waistline Fare" ~ Walk (don't drive) to Sentient Bean!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

When I entered the place, I knew I had been to many like it before. Austin TX, San Francisco, Seattle, Ann Arbor, MI, etc. .... old furniture, good music, dingy floors, chalk-boards, flyers, tattoos, piercings, friendly baristas, .....vibe.
The coffee was always good and fairly priced. I kept it basic. They had a variety of brews in carafes to choose from. Milk, cream, soy, sugars. Lid for the paper cup, and out I went.
Great way to start each day. I walked there and back, thru Forsyth Park, each morning. Then, I would find a bench in one of the beautiful Squares, and start the day. That was the difference.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

...while we were in Savannah April 27-May 2 for a 50th birthday vacation. We rented a home about two blocks from this funky, arty, hip neighborhood cafe...I'm actually hesitant about calling it a cafe, as the food they serve up could rate right up there with some pretty fine restaurants in any community. It's not just the relaxing vibe that kept us coming back...the entire staff was super friendly and actually seemed to LOVE working at The Bean...of course, the food....ahhh, the food at breakfast was fresh, served hot (if it needed to be) and they actually serve up a GIANT sized cappuccino....yes GIANT size! Their coffee beans are ground FRESH for each coffee beverage.

We tried their spinach/cheese croissant...flaky, buttery, delicious. The Don Quiche-ote became my staple each morning, as it was a very generous serving that held me well into the early afternoon. The crust was thin and flaky, the body was just the right texture and nearly melted in my mouth. Be sure to order something that they have to bring out to your table....you'll understand why after you do it. Way too fun!!!

The mix of folks from all walks of life is what also makes this three storefront wide establishment a fun place to sit back and relax while perusing the latest Savannah Magazine or planning your museum visits for the day. We sat outside the last morning, their location directly across Park Avenue from Forsyth Park making it a perfect spot for people watching.

Certainly will be our go-to spot this fall as we visit the gorgeous city again. They don't accept credit cards (YEAH FOR THEM) and the service is fast, but we noticed that once they run out of a popular breakfast item (the banana nut bread for instance) it is gone for the day. But that really doesn't matter because their menu bench is deep and I honestly doubt one could make a bad choice from the roster.

A place like The Bean is proof that you don't have to have a huge multi-location chain backing you in order to 'make it' in this business. Just serve great food, coffee, etc. in a fun, clean atmosphere that is staffed by folks who are always pleasant...have reasonable prices and stick with your original mission concept and you'll do just fine.

2  Thank MoniqueMountDora
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We lucked out by staying close by in the Forsyth Mansion. The cafe is on the other side of the park, so we enjoyed our regular morning walk through the park to sit down for Tofu Breakfast Wraps and Tofu Tortillas. Excellent!

1  Thank Elle747
Reviewed 12 April 2014

A true local gem, the "Bean", as it is called, delivers on a hippie-vibe with great hot food. Deep menu of coffee, smoothies, etc, along with killer breakfast burritos, make it a great place to come after enjoying Forsyth Park.