“Wonderful place to stay in Savannah!”

Ranked #2 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Montreal, Canada
“Wonderful place to stay in Savannah!”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

A beautiful B&B right in the center of historic Savannah. The inn has been beautifully restored with very comfortable and inviting sitting and breakfast rooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the owners very welcoming Canadians!

The room we picked was very nice, decorated well with high ceilings and a comfortable queen-sized bed. Bathroom was small but reasonably well appointed. We'd definitely go back. They served iced tea, lemonade and sweets on arrival and evening wine and appetisers around 5-6 pm, Very genteel indeed!

The only minor negative was a pretty limited breakfast buffet with basically one set meal (in this case French Toast with a peach sauce which was delicious).

However, overall the experience was great and the owners and staff went out of their way to assist in every way!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Dallas
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is a beautiful Inn. Wonderful mid 19th century building nicely restored. Furnishings are very nice. Linens and towels a fine, but not great. Toiletries mediocre. Bathrooms are retrofitted, but not really renovated, with largely original fixtures. So, that has the downsides you should expect. Double sheeting is always appreciated, and they do it here. But, honestly, at $400 this is one of the more expensive places in town. It can't measure up to similarly priced hotels, however, nor does it meet the standards of the Select Registry organization. For instance, for a relatively expensive room, I'd expect running water in the bathroom and electric outlets that you can use for your laptop. That is a bit of an exaggeration, but we were surprised that the shower did not work either day, and even the sink had barely a trickle of water in the morning while other guests were showering (?). I couldn't find an outlet that the charger wouldn't fall out of (except in the bathroom). The officious Inn employees (the Inn keeper is quite nice, but wasn't around when I raised the water issue) let us know that they were disappointed in us for not reporting the problem earlier, implying that it was somehow all our fault. Oh well. I should have reported it earlier, but they are very touchy about their rules and image. In fact, they can be downright prickly. I was frankly uncomfortable when I did report it. So, that is why I say I'm not a fan. A further, small example, was the definite impression left by the staff that leaving my luggage for an hour after check out was a real imposition. This place has lots to recommend it, but though early on we felt disappointed in our experience, the atmosphere made it uncomfortable to try and remedy the situation. Maybe it is just us.

Room Tip: These are renovated rooms, some with antique tubs. Ask about the particular room you are reserving...
14 Thank jeff3545
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I sincerely apologize that you felt uncomfortable during your stay and do wish that you would have voiced your concerns during your visit as we would have appreciated the opportunity to rectify some issues that you report to have encountered.

Please allow me to address some of those issues that you bring up in your review of our Inn as I do believe that they are as your stated quite “exaggerated”.

At the end of your multi-night stay, before paying for your incidental charges, you mentioned that there was an issue with the water pressure in your room. Immediately upon hearing of the issue, I asked if I could enter the room in hopes of remedying the issue and was told no because your spouse was still in the room. As soon as your wife left the room I went up to the guestroom to test the water pressure of both the shower as well as the sink and they were running as they should. It is impossible for any establishment to resolve an issue that they are unaware of. If this was something that was brought to our attention, we would have done whatever it took to make sure it was not repeated a second night.

When you asked if you could have your luggage stored, my response was “It would be our pleasure! We can store your luggage for as long as you would like us to”. Your luggage was taken by our bell staff and stored immediately and afterwards, I loaded it myself into your car, refused the offered gratuity as it is our pleasure to render this service to our guests, shook your hand and thanked you for being our guests before you departed. My apologies if I don’t understand how that shows “imposition” on behalf of me or our staff or shows “officious” behavior.

As you stated, the Hamilton-Turner Inn does take great pride in its reputation of providing the best service of any property in the City of Savannah. It is our desire that every guest has a memorable stay and each member of our staff is willing to go above and beyond to assure that this mission is fulfilled. We are indeed proud members of the Select Registry Inns organization; in fact, we are the only Select Registry property in all of Savannah and have been successful in passing each of their meticulous inspections since 2003.

We would be pleased to have you again as our valued guests and do welcome the opportunity to change your opinion of our Inn.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our weekend at the Hamilton Turner Inn. The owners have done an admirable restoration and are a daily presence to make sure guests' needs are satisfied. Yummy breakfast and we enjoyed port in the parlor.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank awright139
Thank you for your review of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your 3 night visit with us. We thank you for sharing your experience and do hope to have you as our return guests in the near future.

Algonquin Highlands, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was wonderful. The accommodations are the most luxurious you could expect to find in Savannah and the staff are extremely attentive. The "included" breakfasts are to die for as well as the afternoon tea, wine and horsderves and evening glass of Port which are all a "must do". If you are planning a trip to Savannah, treat yourself and stay at the Hamilton - Turner. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite which was bright and sunny in the day and surprisingly quiet at night.
2 Thank pemmink
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our accommodations “luxurious”. We make every effort to assure that each of our guests has a memorable experience here in Savannah so it does us a great service to know how highly you recommend us.

Thank you for being for being our guests!

Doylestown, PA
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is a very charming, old inn on one of Savannh's loveliest squares. The Innkeepers and
their staff are extremely gracious and helpful. The breakfast is amazing, and the cocktail hour refreshments are delicious. The bedrooms are both elegant and very comfortable, I look forward to my return.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be quiet, as the inn is on a quiet square
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Kathryn B B B
Thank you for your review of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

We appreciate you letting our other potential guests know what you experienced while visiting our Inn. As our valued guest, our staff thanks you for your gracious comments and is pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest and do look forward to your return visit.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We enjoyed 6 days in the beautiful surroundings of this historic home. The owners and staff were truly helpful in matching us with restaurants and sites we would appreciate. Jeremy is equal to an in-house Reference Librarian for providing information. We enjoyed the lobby/living room and its treats throughout the day.

Room Tip: I think the website gives good descriptions for selecting according to personal preferences,
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

What an amazing compliment! I must say that a significant part of the information we gather is from our guests, them letting us know what they enjoyed or didn’t enjoy about a specific place. That makes our jobs very easy as it relates to the places we suggest.

Thank you for being our guests and I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do hope that you choose the Hamilton-Turner Inn should your travels lead you back to our beautiful City of Savannah.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I needed a place to stay in Savannah for one night so I typed Savannah Hotels into Trip Advisor. We found a few places and were intrigued by the Hamilton Turner Inn. I put the dates in for a Tuesday night in early March and got the message that there was no availability. It looked perfect and I thought it odd that a Tuesday night would be full so I found the hotel on the Internet and called them. The manager Jeremy ran me through at least six different room choices. Each room has unique characteristics. They all sounded so beautiful it was difficult to chose but we went with the Thomas Charlton room. It was on the first floor and I worried about the sound of footsteps above but I need not have worried. The room was opulent and impeccable. Huge bed with gorgeous, inviting linens, 15' ceilings, wonderful bathroom, flat panel TV, free wifi, beautiful furniture, drapes and flattering lighting . It was perfect, quiet, comfortable and very romantic. It came complete with complimentary bottled water, delicious chocolate and lovely cookies. All nice touches.

The night manager Eric and the assitant Brian could not have been more accommodating and helpful. The Inn is in a lovely and perfectly retored historic house with a grand parlour where they thoughtfully set up complimentary wine, snacks and port in the evening. We heard they had afternoon tea too but arrived to late and left too early to sample it.

Breakfast was wonderful. On the day we were there it was an amazing French Toast served by the owner Jim himself along with a nice buffet of fruit, yoghurt, granola and coffee cake.

The location was perfect. On Lexington Square, the house is a beauty to behold. An easy walk to everything.

We look forward to coming back and enjoying a longer stay.

Thanks to Jim and the wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are nice if you don't like stairs. Of course their helpful staff will carry...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you sharing your experience with other potential guests.

Although I am slightly unfamiliar with Trip Advisor’s partner sites, I do agree that the best place to check for availability for our Inn would be to visit our secure website or by phoning the Inn directly.

I’m sorry to hear that you had a rough start but am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with our overall accommodations and services provided to you.

We do hope that you will choose our Inn should your travels lead you back to our beautiful City of Savannah.