“Best B and B ever”

Ranked #2 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I just had the pleasure of staying with Gay and Jim Dunlop at their Inn in Savannah. The house is meticulously restored, warm and inviting as are the inkeepers and their staff. We wanted for nothing! Their attention to detail (which I love... leaves nothing to be desired...they covered it all!!)Need anything? They will handle it.
Oh, and let me get started about breakfast!! Early morning coffee and tea are set up in the parlor for the early birds.The breakfast room opens at 8 and is warm and welcoming, as is Jim, Innkeeper and your breakfast host! He personally sees to each guest. The meal is different and innovative and DELICIOUS every morning. I ate every last morsel!
Noon brings fresh...and I mean fresh...lemonade and sweet tea and some sort of delectable sweet, evening brings wine and savory snacks and night brings a glass of port before bed.
The location on Lafeyette Square is central to anything you want to do. We had no car and walked everywhere for 3 days.
I cannot recommend this Inn enough...we were subject to gracious Southern hospitality at its absolute best. Thank you Gay and Jim and your wonderful staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: any room would be a good room
1  Thank DW555
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Our staff appreciates you taking the time to review the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Both of our Innkeepers have put a lot of work into this property and will be delighted to know how much you enjoyed it.

We look forward to having you again as our guests should your travels lead you back to our beautiful City of Savannah.

Hamilton-Turner Inn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,373)

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights at the end of March and had a magnificent experience! The Inn is impeccably maintained and decorated on beautiful Lafayette Square which is within walking distance from EVERYTHING in Historic Savannah. We picked the Eli Whitney room (loved it), which is located in the lower/basement level, because it appeared that it would be dark/quite for sleeping, which it was, and the private entrance. We liked the private entrance more than we thought as it led to a wonderful courtyard. My husband enjoyed relaxing and socializing with other guests in the courtyard area. I enjoyed being able to "sneak out" in the morning to attend Mass at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist which is literally across the street and then go on a run. For any runners out there, the Inn is located a half mile from Forsyth Park which is a mile in circumference and fresh water bottles are always available in your room.

During our stay in Savannah I truly felt as though we were transported to a different time (of course, with all the modern amenities!). We parked our car on the street and did not drive it until we left. All of our needs/reservations were taken care of by an extremely attentive and gracious staff. Breakfast, served by Jim the innkeeper, was always a great way to start the day! After a long day of sightseeing we enjoyed coming back to lemonade/iced tea and then in the evening wine and cheese before we went out to dinner. Our room was always attended to with fresh towels and treats! For the ladies out there, my only difficulty was putting on my make-up as there was only one mirror over the sink which I couldn't see without my contacts in. Thankfully, I had an extra mirror that I could use, but it would have been nice to have another mirror that I could get close to without having to have my contacts in or use the step stool that was meant for the bed. There was a flat panel tv in the room, but we never watched it! If we were at the Inn and not thoroughly exhausted from a day of sightseeing, we enjoyed meeting and conversing with other guests and the staff which was always a joy. It was difficult to leave the Inn but the memories will remain. It is quite apparent that Jim and Gay have put their hearts and souls into this Inn!

Room Tip: The Inn is located in a very quite residential area so there is no outside noise at all. We stayed...
2  Thank summerlover80
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your experience at the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

It is always great to hear and see our guests conversing in the parlor or courtyard areas. We believe it adds to the overall guest experience and creates that “at home” feeling that many of our guests report to have experienced.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you choose our Inn should your travels lead you back to Savannah.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed at the inn for two nights and they were the best two nights during our stay in savannah. From the delightful breakfast in the morning served by the gracious innkeeper to the nightly turndown I could not have asked for better service. The staff at the Inn is extremely attentiveand booked all of our reservations for dinner and our tours during our stay. I could not have asked for better service. I look forward to our next trip back.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Button Gwinnett Suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

We thank you for taking the time to tell others of your experience. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your accommodations and our staff thanks you for you gracious comments.

I do hope that you will choose the Hamilton-Turner Inn should your travels lead you back to our beautiful City of Savannah.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

definitely a beautiful structure. but that's where it ended. not a B&B experience. more like a hotel , limited common space( 1 sitting room) made this our least favorite. also, the staff were firendly but not hospitable. Maybe this is the new guard of help that does not understand hospitality.Add the fact that we asked them to make our reservations to 2 restaurants and 1 of them denied any were made when we arrived..(See the olde pink house review). Overall the " feel" of a cozy B&B was lacking.

26  Thank wildfoodie
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This Inn came highly recommended by friends of ours who stayed about a year ago. Surprisingly, it was everything that they said it would be. The staff was so helpful (booked all of our reservations before we even got there) , the food was great (foolishly large portions!), and you can't beat the location(walking distance from everything). It by far exceeded my expectations and I would definitely stay here again. The only down side was parking, but comparing that issue to all the positives is kinda stupid of me. After having a really bad B&B experience a few years back at another place, I must say I'm happy I listened to my wife and tried this one out. Now I too recommend it highly!!

Room Tip: don't know alot about the other rooms but we stayed in the Oglethorpe Suite which had a great vi...
3  Thank Mitch H
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The inn itself and the location are perfectly fine, no complaints.
We had a problem with lack of hot water, water pressure and a shower head which was difficult to operate. (It is awkward having someone come in to check....they know perfectly well what you are talking about) Also there was a lack of attention to detail. How much would it cost to replace a worn out toilet seat? We paid almost $300 for our night and a toilet seat is maybe $10? Maybe we expected too much for $270?

26  Thank Lynda1919
Reviewed 6 April 2012

While as visually striking as the photos of it reigning poetically over Lafayette Square, this inn very quickly lost its appeal due to the incredible rudeness of the inn keeper. This Inn is beautiful, but like a beauty queen with little to offer beyond its surface, our stay there fell dismally flat. From refusing to allow my husband's parents to drop off a bottle of wine as a welcome to Savannah to verbal rudeness and lack of manners, this inn suffers from a lack of civility, hospitality and grace. The inn keeper should visit The Gastonian, where we stayed after Hamilton, and take lessons from the staff there. Our stay there was amazing in every way and so welcome after our extremely disappointing stay at Hamilton Turner. To be fair, the male owner of the Inn and Jerome seem to have good intentions, but they are overshadowed by the pervasive tension and lack of goodwill left by the female inn keeper. My husband and I travel extensively and have found Trip Advisor to be very useful. I have never before written a review but after such a letdown at Hamilton Turner I felt compelled to share this experience....it was that bad. Savannah is one of the loveliest cities we have visited. The only thing we did not find utterly charming about Savannah was the Hamilton Turner.

Room Tip: Rooms in the lower level have dingy carpet and horrible lighting, not to mention antiquated tiny tv
28  Thank currant754