“Gorgeous and Comfortable Bed and Breakfast”

Ranked #2 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just a terrific and accomodating Bed and Breakfast in a beautiful part of town.

2  Thank Lucinda617
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for your review.

I’m pleased to know that you had such a positive experience. Our staff thanks you and appreciates your kind comments.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

As this was my first trip to Savannah I spent a great deal of time choosing the right place to stay. Based on all I read, I figured I couldn't miss by staying at the Hamilton Turner. Well, I was wrong.

Interestingly, this will be the first time that anyone at the Hamilton Turner will be hearing about my opinion, because not one staff member, NOT ONE, asked me if I enjoyed my stay. Not even while I was checking out. I got better service at Ruby Tuesday's on the drive home.

I actually signed up for the "Honeymoon Package" that they advertised on their website. It wasn't my honeymoon, but I was there as part of a couple and we wanted this to be a special trip. That package contained many of the things I would have chosen for myself.

Details about my stay in no particular order.....

Derek, the staff member who greeted us and got us settled in our room was FABULOUS. In fact he seems to have been the star of the staff. Nothing but wonderful things to say about him

There was a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us upon arrival. I was surprised at the quality. It was actually quite good.

The bed was comfortable.

The Inn has beautiful detail and is definitely authentic to the period. It lacks some maintenance and details that left it no better than average. All of the flower arrangements in the parlor are artificial and are quite old and faded. The dining room chairs could use some repair. The chair that I sat in for breakfast on the first morning allowed me to sink in so far that I was a good 4 to 6 inches shorter than I should have been sitting.

On the announcement that they post about being willing to accomodate dietary restrictions with advance notice doesn't really seem to apply in real life. Prior to arrival I had communicated via email with a staff member about some dietary restrictions that I have and then again with a staff member (who I actually believe was one of the owners) and was pretty much told that I was out of luck. Breakfast was going to be what it was going to be.

The fruit salad served a breakfast each morning was no better than canned fruit cocktail. They say their claim to fame is breakfast and then they serve that? Oh my!

The bathroom was filthy. The shower curtain was moldy. The dust on the blinds and ceiling fan was so gross. Do they really think that their guests don't notice? Made me wonder about all the dirt that was there that I couldn't see.

The service to the room every day was really below par. As part of the package that they paid for we were entitled to keep the 2 Hamilton Turner champagne glasses as keepsakes. I would have expected that they would remove the dirty glasses and replace them with 2 clean glasses for us to take home. Not only didn't they do that, but they didn't even leave behind the dirty ones! so much for the keepsake.

We never got new soaps or shampoo.

They managed to remove our barely used water bottles from the room (but never replaced them) but left dirty coffee cups and drink glasses in our room for 3 days. (but they made sure to grab those dirty champagne flutes!)

I could continue, but I think you all get the point.

There are lots of places that have historical charm, but I am wondering if these Inn Keepers and their staff have lost the enthusiasm for quality and service needed to set them apart from the other Inns. Perhaps the economy hit them hard and they can't afford the meticulous upkeep that is required to maintain cleanliness and excellence in such an old property.

I've stayed at worse places, but never was reality so removed from the hype. Even the people at the Holiday Inn Express ask me how everything was when I am on the way out the door.

27  Thank CathyO540
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

I sincerely regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

While we desire for each guest to have an enjoyable experience, we do understand that some issues may occur and are willing to go above and beyond to appease our guests when concerns are brought to our attention.

Please allow me to address some concerns in the order that you have listed in your review.

Out of the 11 plants or floral arrangements in our parlor and lobby only 2 of them are artificial. Neither is old or faded as they were just purchased within the last couple of months.

The chairs in our dining room are designer chairs which are specifically made for our 30 inch dining room tables. The depth in which a person sinks in any chair has to do in great deal with the weight of the individual. We do wish that this was brought to our attention during breakfast as it would have been our pleasure to do whatever possible to assure your comfort.

To my knowledge, when you discussed your dietary needs you were given choices between our buffet and the option to have the breakfast served modified to fit your needs which you declined.

Finally, I personally did a thorough check on the shower curtain in the room in which you stayed and there was not a single area on the shower curtain that had mold on it. Again, if this was brought to our attention during your stay, we would have changed the curtain even though there was not any mold on it.

While we appreciate your concern, we in fact have not lost our enthusiasm for quality and service and believe that the quality and service that we provide is well represented in the vast majority of the responses from our guests. Judging by the harshness of some of your comments, I unfortunately don't believe that there was much we could do to change the outcome of your experience.

Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I just had the pleasure of staying with Gay and Jim Dunlop at their Inn in Savannah. The house is meticulously restored, warm and inviting as are the inkeepers and their staff. We wanted for nothing! Their attention to detail (which I love... leaves nothing to be desired...they covered it all!!)Need anything? They will handle it.
Oh, and let me get started about breakfast!! Early morning coffee and tea are set up in the parlor for the early birds.The breakfast room opens at 8 and is warm and welcoming, as is Jim, Innkeeper and your breakfast host! He personally sees to each guest. The meal is different and innovative and DELICIOUS every morning. I ate every last morsel!
Noon brings fresh...and I mean fresh...lemonade and sweet tea and some sort of delectable sweet, evening brings wine and savory snacks and night brings a glass of port before bed.
The location on Lafeyette Square is central to anything you want to do. We had no car and walked everywhere for 3 days.
I cannot recommend this Inn enough...we were subject to gracious Southern hospitality at its absolute best. Thank you Gay and Jim and your wonderful staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: any room would be a good room
1  Thank DW555

Our staff appreciates you taking the time to review the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Both of our Innkeepers have put a lot of work into this property and will be delighted to know how much you enjoyed it.

We look forward to having you again as our guests should your travels lead you back to our beautiful City of Savannah.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Inn for 3 nights at the end of March and had a magnificent experience! The Inn is impeccably maintained and decorated on beautiful Lafayette Square which is within walking distance from EVERYTHING in Historic Savannah. We picked the Eli Whitney room (loved it), which is located in the lower/basement level, because it appeared that it would be dark/quite for sleeping, which it was, and the private entrance. We liked the private entrance more than we thought as it led to a wonderful courtyard. My husband enjoyed relaxing and socializing with other guests in the courtyard area. I enjoyed being able to "sneak out" in the morning to attend Mass at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist which is literally across the street and then go on a run. For any runners out there, the Inn is located a half mile from Forsyth Park which is a mile in circumference and fresh water bottles are always available in your room.

During our stay in Savannah I truly felt as though we were transported to a different time (of course, with all the modern amenities!). We parked our car on the street and did not drive it until we left. All of our needs/reservations were taken care of by an extremely attentive and gracious staff. Breakfast, served by Jim the innkeeper, was always a great way to start the day! After a long day of sightseeing we enjoyed coming back to lemonade/iced tea and then in the evening wine and cheese before we went out to dinner. Our room was always attended to with fresh towels and treats! For the ladies out there, my only difficulty was putting on my make-up as there was only one mirror over the sink which I couldn't see without my contacts in. Thankfully, I had an extra mirror that I could use, but it would have been nice to have another mirror that I could get close to without having to have my contacts in or use the step stool that was meant for the bed. There was a flat panel tv in the room, but we never watched it! If we were at the Inn and not thoroughly exhausted from a day of sightseeing, we enjoyed meeting and conversing with other guests and the staff which was always a joy. It was difficult to leave the Inn but the memories will remain. It is quite apparent that Jim and Gay have put their hearts and souls into this Inn!

Room Tip: The Inn is located in a very quite residential area so there is no outside noise at all. We stayed...
2  Thank summerlover80
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your experience at the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

It is always great to hear and see our guests conversing in the parlor or courtyard areas. We believe it adds to the overall guest experience and creates that “at home” feeling that many of our guests report to have experienced.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you choose our Inn should your travels lead you back to Savannah.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed at the inn for two nights and they were the best two nights during our stay in savannah. From the delightful breakfast in the morning served by the gracious innkeeper to the nightly turndown I could not have asked for better service. The staff at the Inn is extremely attentiveand booked all of our reservations for dinner and our tours during our stay. I could not have asked for better service. I look forward to our next trip back.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Button Gwinnett Suite.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

We thank you for taking the time to tell others of your experience. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your accommodations and our staff thanks you for you gracious comments.

I do hope that you will choose the Hamilton-Turner Inn should your travels lead you back to our beautiful City of Savannah.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

definitely a beautiful structure. but that's where it ended. not a B&B experience. more like a hotel , limited common space( 1 sitting room) made this our least favorite. also, the staff were firendly but not hospitable. Maybe this is the new guard of help that does not understand hospitality.Add the fact that we asked them to make our reservations to 2 restaurants and 1 of them denied any were made when we arrived..(See the olde pink house review). Overall the " feel" of a cozy B&B was lacking.

26  Thank wildfoodie
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This Inn came highly recommended by friends of ours who stayed about a year ago. Surprisingly, it was everything that they said it would be. The staff was so helpful (booked all of our reservations before we even got there) , the food was great (foolishly large portions!), and you can't beat the location(walking distance from everything). It by far exceeded my expectations and I would definitely stay here again. The only down side was parking, but comparing that issue to all the positives is kinda stupid of me. After having a really bad B&B experience a few years back at another place, I must say I'm happy I listened to my wife and tried this one out. Now I too recommend it highly!!

Room Tip: don't know alot about the other rooms but we stayed in the Oglethorpe Suite which had a great vi...
3  Thank Mitch H