“Found My Savannah Home!”

Ranked #2 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Found My Savannah Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

!My husband and I have traveled quite a bit to savannah over the last couple of years and have always said we. would one day spend the extra money and stay at a nice place. After trying a few places that we weren't particularly happy with we tried this inn based on the reviews and were thoroughly impressed! Take it from a traveler who has stayed all over Savannah, you not find a better place! The staff was so incredibly accommodating and owners so inviting. Ill be back around Thanksgiving !

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Andreajohnson30
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thank you for your review of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

It was sincerely a pleasure to have you as our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to tell others what you have experienced and it pleases us greatly that we can expect to have you again as our guests. I look forward to seeing you again around Thanksgiving!

The Hamilton-Turner Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Castle Donington, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Had two nights at the Hamilton-Turner Inn last week and it was absolutely lovely. The location is perfect for exploring the Historic District and the hospitality second to none. In particular the southern breakfasts were spectacular. Jim and Gay are great hosts and the inn is a credit to them. We were in the Johny Mercer room and at first were concerned that it may be noisy but it was just fine. I highly recommend this place and would love to return.

4 Thank KayCastleDonington
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Thank you for your review of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As our valued guests, your opinion is truly appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers.

We look forward to having you again as our guests!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at a lot of places but the service here is unmatched! The staff are friendly and so eager to help and plan your day. Which was a blessing considering I was traveling alone and hadn't previously researched anything beforehand. Breakfast was scrumptious! Both Jim and Gay have done a wonderful job with this Inn and the rest of the hotels should take note!

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank debraholtz1969
Thank you for your review of the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

Our staff appreciates your gracious comments and is pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always our pleasure to provide our guests with “things to do” around Savannah so that they have more time to enjoy their vacations.

Again, we thank you for your review.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Such a pleasant experience, was a little nervous about staying a bed and breakfast but enjoyed my room, which was spacious and clean. The customer service exceeded my expectation, will be back to visit again.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank lyrics314
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Hamilton-Turner Inn.

I am pleased to know that you found your stay pleasant and that we could ease your reservations about staying at a small boutique Inn such as ours.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guests and do look forward to your return visit.

Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just a terrific and accomodating Bed and Breakfast in a beautiful part of town.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucinda617
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you for your review.

I’m pleased to know that you had such a positive experience. Our staff thanks you and appreciates your kind comments.

Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

As this was my first trip to Savannah I spent a great deal of time choosing the right place to stay. Based on all I read, I figured I couldn't miss by staying at the Hamilton Turner. Well, I was wrong.

Interestingly, this will be the first time that anyone at the Hamilton Turner will be hearing about my opinion, because not one staff member, NOT ONE, asked me if I enjoyed my stay. Not even while I was checking out. I got better service at Ruby Tuesday's on the drive home.

I actually signed up for the "Honeymoon Package" that they advertised on their website. It wasn't my honeymoon, but I was there as part of a couple and we wanted this to be a special trip. That package contained many of the things I would have chosen for myself.

Details about my stay in no particular order.....

Derek, the staff member who greeted us and got us settled in our room was FABULOUS. In fact he seems to have been the star of the staff. Nothing but wonderful things to say about him

There was a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us upon arrival. I was surprised at the quality. It was actually quite good.

The bed was comfortable.

The Inn has beautiful detail and is definitely authentic to the period. It lacks some maintenance and details that left it no better than average. All of the flower arrangements in the parlor are artificial and are quite old and faded. The dining room chairs could use some repair. The chair that I sat in for breakfast on the first morning allowed me to sink in so far that I was a good 4 to 6 inches shorter than I should have been sitting.

On the announcement that they post about being willing to accomodate dietary restrictions with advance notice doesn't really seem to apply in real life. Prior to arrival I had communicated via email with a staff member about some dietary restrictions that I have and then again with a staff member (who I actually believe was one of the owners) and was pretty much told that I was out of luck. Breakfast was going to be what it was going to be.

The fruit salad served a breakfast each morning was no better than canned fruit cocktail. They say their claim to fame is breakfast and then they serve that? Oh my!

The bathroom was filthy. The shower curtain was moldy. The dust on the blinds and ceiling fan was so gross. Do they really think that their guests don't notice? Made me wonder about all the dirt that was there that I couldn't see.

The service to the room every day was really below par. As part of the package that they paid for we were entitled to keep the 2 Hamilton Turner champagne glasses as keepsakes. I would have expected that they would remove the dirty glasses and replace them with 2 clean glasses for us to take home. Not only didn't they do that, but they didn't even leave behind the dirty ones! so much for the keepsake.

We never got new soaps or shampoo.

They managed to remove our barely used water bottles from the room (but never replaced them) but left dirty coffee cups and drink glasses in our room for 3 days. (but they made sure to grab those dirty champagne flutes!)

I could continue, but I think you all get the point.

There are lots of places that have historical charm, but I am wondering if these Inn Keepers and their staff have lost the enthusiasm for quality and service needed to set them apart from the other Inns. Perhaps the economy hit them hard and they can't afford the meticulous upkeep that is required to maintain cleanliness and excellence in such an old property.

I've stayed at worse places, but never was reality so removed from the hype. Even the people at the Holiday Inn Express ask me how everything was when I am on the way out the door.

27 Thank CathyO540
JeremyWatson, Manager at Hamilton-Turner Inn, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
I sincerely regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

While we desire for each guest to have an enjoyable experience, we do understand that some issues may occur and are willing to go above and beyond to appease our guests when concerns are brought to our attention.

Please allow me to address some concerns in the order that you have listed in your review.

Out of the 11 plants or floral arrangements in our parlor and lobby only 2 of them are artificial. Neither is old or faded as they were just purchased within the last couple of months.

The chairs in our dining room are designer chairs which are specifically made for our 30 inch dining room tables. The depth in which a person sinks in any chair has to do in great deal with the weight of the individual. We do wish that this was brought to our attention during breakfast as it would have been our pleasure to do whatever possible to assure your comfort.

To my knowledge, when you discussed your dietary needs you were given choices between our buffet and the option to have the breakfast served modified to fit your needs which you declined.

Finally, I personally did a thorough check on the shower curtain in the room in which you stayed and there was not a single area on the shower curtain that had mold on it. Again, if this was brought to our attention during your stay, we would have changed the curtain even though there was not any mold on it.

While we appreciate your concern, we in fact have not lost our enthusiasm for quality and service and believe that the quality and service that we provide is well represented in the vast majority of the responses from our guests. Judging by the harshness of some of your comments, I unfortunately don't believe that there was much we could do to change the outcome of your experience.

Again, thank you for your review.

Queens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I just had the pleasure of staying with Gay and Jim Dunlop at their Inn in Savannah. The house is meticulously restored, warm and inviting as are the inkeepers and their staff. We wanted for nothing! Their attention to detail (which I love... leaves nothing to be desired...they covered it all!!)Need anything? They will handle it.
Oh, and let me get started about breakfast!! Early morning coffee and tea are set up in the parlor for the early birds.The breakfast room opens at 8 and is warm and welcoming, as is Jim, Innkeeper and your breakfast host! He personally sees to each guest. The meal is different and innovative and DELICIOUS every morning. I ate every last morsel!
Noon brings fresh...and I mean fresh...lemonade and sweet tea and some sort of delectable sweet, evening brings wine and savory snacks and night brings a glass of port before bed.
The location on Lafeyette Square is central to anything you want to do. We had no car and walked everywhere for 3 days.
I cannot recommend this Inn enough...we were subject to gracious Southern hospitality at its absolute best. Thank you Gay and Jim and your wonderful staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: any room would be a good room