“Lap of Luxury”

Ranked #2 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Georgia
“Lap of Luxury”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My husband and I just got back from a wknd trip to Savannah. We were lucky enough to stay at the Hamilton-Turner Inn. We have been to Savannah countless times and every time I've always commented on the beauty of the home and that it would be nice to stay there. Well, I was wrong. It was a wonderful stay. Even though check in was not until 3pm, we were able to check our bags and they gave us great advice on where the locals ate and shopped. That was great because we had done and seen most of the "tourist" areas and wanted a change of pace. If you want to venture away from the tourist area go over to Whitaker Street and go into La Paperie. It is a beautiful little shop that sells stationary and other little paper products. Not your typical store. Gary was wonderful to talk too and very helpful. Back to the Inn though, it was truly an experience. When we got to our room it was very cute. Our bags were already in there and put away which was nice b/c we were a bit tired after a day out in the sweltering Savannah humidity. We were out for the evening, so we missed out on the afternoon snacks. But my husband did get to enjoy the evening port and we loved the cookies that they left us for the nightly evening turndown service. We met some nice couples while we were there also. We had a good time joking around w/a haunted tour group. I took a picture of the tour group while they were taking pictures of the inn. Now that was funny. The next day we had breakfast at 9:30am, and we liked that b/c usually you have to get up at 8 or you miss out. We were able to choose a time that suited us. When it was time to check out I was a little sad b/c our time of luxury was coming to an end. My husband and I are already making plans to come back after the new year. I highly recommend this to anyone that wants to be treated like a king or queen.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Raleigh , NC
Reviewed 4 August 2009

My wife and I spent our anniversary (July 22). Our hostess couldn't have been more helpful - gave us a tour of those rooms that were vacant that night and provided us with a large ice bucket for champagne. The wine & cheese social hour included hot crab dip which was a nice surprise from the ordinary. The room/bed/bath were excellent - comfortable and the individually controlled AC worked well in the summer heat. Breakfast of Eggs Benedict was delicious and memorable in the dining room. Easy walk to the Olde Pink House for dinner.
A great experience - would whole-heartedly recommend to all.
Doug & Freida, Raleigh, NC

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This was my first stay at an inn/B&B. I was a little nervous. This place far exceeded my expectation. The room was in excellent condition with great modern amenities and was beautifully decorated. Staff was available and friendly without being intrusive. Breakfast was excellent, maybe the best I ever had. The inn was in a great location for enjoying Savannah. I will certainly stay again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scarlet27
Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Return visit to Savannah. 2 years later and still not disappointed by Hamilton Turner Inn.
The room was terrific. Yes, it is a setting with rules for no people off the street and non guests, but that's why we love it. Secure, private, quiet, sophistication.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We needed to spend a weekend in Savannah as one of my daughters was finishing a week long summer program at SCAD. As a career hospitality [marketing] professional, we often opt for a B&B over traditional hotels as I find the experience to typically be more hospitality oriented, in the classical sense. We selected the Hamilton Turner because of its exterior charm and the fact it was dog friendly (we travel with Luna, our Vizsla, whenever possible and Savannah is known as a dog friendly city which we can verify it is). In short, innkeepers Gay & Jim Dunlop and their entire team was terrific, as were the accommodations and breakfasts each morning. I give the Hamilton Turner Inn my highest of recommendations and will return whenever our travels take us back to Savannah.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sdickin007
Charlotte NC
Reviewed 12 June 2009

The Hamilton-Turner Inn is just lovely. The staff was so helpful with every detail of our trip and took their time in telling us the history of the building and Savannah. The Inn is in a great location, about a 10 minute walk to anything in the historic district. My husband and I walked everywhere while we were in Savannah. The folks at the Inn went above and beyond to accomodate all of our needs! It was great to have the opportunity to chat with other guests but if you wanted alone time that was always a possibility too! I just can't say enough for the decor and amenities. The breakfast was good but their customer service was better!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luvmyhusband
Calhoun, GA
Reviewed 6 June 2009

My grandmother, father, husband and I had our first stay at Hamilton-Turner Inn last year in June. We booked two rooms. One room on the main floor and one on the very bottom floor (rooms on the very bottom floor are pet friendly). We brought our little Chihuahua, Jezibelle. We had a fantastic stay. Everyone on staff was extremely hospitible. The food was absolutely scrumptious, and the rooms were gorgeous. There were also no problems with our small dog. We loved our experience so much that we booked another stay for June 2009. This time we booked three rooms (one for my grandmother, one for my father and his girlfriend and one for my husband and I). One on the very top floor, one on the third floor and one down on the very bottom floor (again, the rooms on the very bottom floor are pet friendly). We, once again, brought Jezibelle. Now, if anyone checks out the website or calls for information, they will know that these rooms are not cheap. We checked in (with a slightly overbearing staff member), signed all the necessary paper work (including the pet policy) and made our way to our rooms (which were all different than the previous year). We had a great first night and breakfast the following morning. After a day of sight-seeing, we returned to the inn to decide on dinner. Myself, my husband and my grandmother all decided to eat at The Olde Pink House. It's a "pink" restaurant with a main dining area and a tavern-like lower level that is slightly more casual with a bar and piano (highly recommended by the way...excellent food, service and piano player). Needless to say, we had absolutely no cell phone service in the bottom level. I tried to use my phone several times while waiting, with no luck. As soon as dinner was over, we got in our car and headed back the couple hundred feet back to the inn. My husband proceeded to check his phone and made a unnerving discovery. The manager at Hamilton-Turner had left two semi-hateful messages on my husband's phone and one very rude one on mine. Our dog had apparently been barking, and as states in the policy, she was required to call us. This part was fine with me. I would definately not like a dog barking either; however, the inn is supposed to be "pet friendly" and nowhere in the policy did not say that the guest would receive a rude phone call should a problem arise. It simply said to leave a phone number just in case. I left two. Unfortunately, the numbers were mine and my husband's. We were only a couple hundred feet from the inn at the restaurant, and would have gladly came right over had we received the phone calls. We returned to the inn, and I spoke with the manage about the rude mesages. The rudeness continued. She said some things that made absolutely no sense, and ended up encouraging me to talk to the inn-keeper/owner. She was no better. My husband and I had already apologized for the situation, but that did not matter. A simple "I'm sorry" from the women would have diffused the situation, but both insisted on arguing and interrupting. That is no way to run a business, and I certainly would not. When I stated that we would probably not return to Hamilton-Turner in the future, the inn-keeper/owner informed me that we were not the only guests that stayed there. Like we were just nothing. We have recommended Hamilton-Turner to numerous people all over, so this really offended me. The inn-keeper/owner also kept talking about having to gey up at 6:30 in the morning and make breakfast, then stay thete until 3:00 in the evening. Like that jad anything to do with the issue at hand (on top of rudely interrupting me over and over again). The funny thing was that my father and his girlfriend were there, in their room, the entire time. Instead of using their brains (and information provided), these two women decided to uselessly make phone calls and leave messages. This experience was so bothetsome that I am actually writing this review from inside the inn. I cannot believe that people run a business this way, nor can I understand the vast difference in our two stays.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family