“A lovely atmospheric inn, in the heart of beautifull Savannah”
Review of 17 Hundred 90 Inn

17 Hundred 90 Inn
Ranked #11 of 31 Savannah B&B and Inns
Luton, United Kingdom
“A lovely atmospheric inn, in the heart of beautifull Savannah”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Spent a lovely couple of days at the 17hundred90 inn, in the heart of the historic district in Savannah.

This inn is ideally situated for all the museums, restaurants and the River walk of Savannah, so if you are driving, you just need to park your car and leave it there until you leave. If you a lucky you can park your car for free, in the limited spaces behind the Inn, otherwise the Inn can provide a day parking pass for $7.00

This is a very old hotel, and is situated in 2 buildings, the main building which is reputed to have its own ghost, has the restaurant and bar. Because of its age and its furnishings, those expecting a sterile boxy major chain room, you need to look elsewhere. If you want quaint, period, quirky, this is the place for you. The room (set of rooms) we stayed in was the complete top floor of a beautiful Georgian house built in 1834 across the road from the main building. Just a note, if you have difficulty with stairs, I recommend asking for a room on a lower floor. The room 303, had a bedroom, huge bathroom, complete with Jacuzzi bath, steam shower and fireplace!, & along a corridor we had a period sitting room!.

The inn's restaurant is very good, and considered one of the best in Savannah, and its bar, more akin to an English pub, was a popular haunt for some of its charismatic & friendly regulars, we had a very convivial afternoon there!!.

Breakfast was an adequate continental breakfast, and is managed very well by the friendly Southern owner and his wife.

A major benefit of this Inn, is its location, on our fist day we used a hop on and hop off trolley service to get our bearings, this took about 90 minutes, after that we walked the same route, visiting several museums due to the proximity of everything.

Savannah is a beautiful city, with fantastic preserved buildings and I thoroughly recommend a trip to it and the 17hundred90.

Room Tip: Room 303 is the entire top floor of the annexe buiding
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We would gladly stay here again. The staff was super accommodating for my Mom and me. They helped with everything from the luggage to parking. We ate dinner at the restaurant and were quite pleased with the trout, the key lime pie, and the pecan pie. We never eat desserts, but we couldn't resist the southern treats done right by a cozy restaurant surrounded by old brick and friendly service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Johnson City, TN
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had a great stay in 207. I loved all the antique furniture, the comfortable bed, and the size of the room. The continental breakfast was the usual (pastries, cereal, yogurt, etc) but the presentation was very nice (place settings, napkins). Our only issue was parking. They only have a small parking lot, so we had to find street parking and feed the meters a few times. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Owner run property. Perfect location. Wonderful continental breakfast in cozy dining area. This place offers well appointed rooms, all decorated differently. Although the Inn is old the rooms and baths are updated and comfortable. Southern hospitality is the key. There is a full bar with 2 cozy fireplaces and its own entrance from the street. It also has restaurant which is excellent , again with great service. We loved this place and will certainly be back again.
One drawback is the narrow steps to the upper floors and no elevator. Oh, did I mention free parking?

Room Tip: Ask to be in main house.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our party of seven was treated to a great evening of good food, reasonably priced, with good service in a perfect atmosphere for chatting over dinner. The pianist two tables away provided wonderful background music in a subdued manner. Our server was very attentive without being obtrusive.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My daughter and I were so fortunate to get to stay in 312. It is not part of the Inn but a refurbished house. It was incredible. We had dinner in the Inn's restaurant and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Ryan was our waiter and he was the best at his job. Loved all the employees and being right in the middle of the historic district was awesome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Tampa
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Me and my Fiance visited Savannah for a night on 03/20/14. This Inn left much to be desired. First off, I was caught by surprise when the room I booked (312) was not part of the main Inn. Perhaps I missed this on the website when I booked, but this left me somewhat disappointed. Instead the room was located a block or two over in what they consider a guest house.

While the room itself was very charming and visually appealing it had various issues that made the stay rather unsatisfactory. The linens on the bed were about as cheap as you can get. The pillows despite being in pillowcases were absolutely filthy (like when you sleep with the same pillow for years and it turns yellow).

The two rooms upstairs are technically joined and only separated by a large sliding door (which sits behind the bed). This led us to hear absolutely everything the couple in the room next to us was saying; and I'm certain our "neighbors" heard us as well. Despite lowering the thermostat to 65 the room was excessively hot. Everything mentioned paired with a mediocre mattress left me and my fiance unable to sleep.

I mentioned the issue about the mattress to the staff and was simply told that it was a brand new mattress. I don't doubt they were being honest, but again this is probably a result of going cheap as I've slept on more comfortable forest floors while camping. I also mentioned that the bathroom had an enormous amount of broken tile in it and felt like it was brushed off. In my opinion, a room with tile that's broken this badly is a major hazard considering how easily this could cut your foot. I don't feel this room should be available to book until this issue is resolved.

On the plus side, we were provided with two complimentary drinks to the bar and our own parking spot which was nice (especially in Savannah). The bartender was wonderful and all the staff we interacted with were nice.

I've stayed at multiple hotels in the area and this is one of the few I feel I can't really recommend, at least in regards to staying in the guest house. The experience may greatly differ when staying in the main Inn. I would like to add that I got a very interesting photo when taking a picture of the room that's supposed to be haunted. We also heard a dragging noise outside out room (312) at 4-5 in the morning. The other guests were clearly still asleep so perhaps the guest house has something going on it it as well.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business