“Comfortable hotel, good value”

Courtyard Savannah Midtown
Ranked #72 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Comfortable hotel, good value”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you are heading as a tourist to Savannah and want to be able to walk and explore, you might want to look into a "downtown" hotel. It is about an 8 mile drive into the Historic District and parking is always at a premium there. We chose this hotel because we were visiting friends and have been to Savannah many times before. This is an older hotel but it is updated and does have a lovely lobby and the outdoor pool is a comfortable place to gather. The hot tub is delightful and is inside just steps from the pool. We were fortunate to have been upgraded to a suite as a gold elite member, so this review is definitely a bit biased due to the beautiful room we were in. We had a separate bedroom and living area with a sliding glass door out to a small balcony overlooking the pool. Once again, however, we were in a Courtyard that took all the coffee service out of the lobby and replaced it with a Starbucks concession. If you despise in room coffee makers and the little packs of "creamer" as much as we do, well, its just downright annoying. The hotel is also on a divided roadway with a sign that is almost impossible to see, especially at night, and you will be doing a lot of "U" turns to get anywhere. However, parking at the hotel is easy and convenient to the rooms and it was very quiet for sleeping at night.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rachel C, Manager at Courtyard Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for review! I do apologize about no longer having free lobby coffee and I appreciate your concern. Also, we are looking into our signage in order to make our property easier to find. Thanks again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I was in Savannah for a tennis tournament, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The Courtyard Marriott had everything I needed: attractive decor, cordial helpful staff, abundant free parking, reliable in-room wifi, HDTV with every espn platform, and good temp control in the rooms. Along with the Bistro (which I didn't use) the hotel also had a little mini-mart where you could buy sandwiches and frozen dinners for microwaving. I noticed one reviewer criticizing the soft mattresses. They ARE soft, but I rather liked it. Another reviewer felt that the cleaning staff came by too early. For me, it was just the opposite; several times I returned to my room in the afternoon, and they still hadn't been by. All in all it was a fine hotel and a great value for the price.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was just passing through town and only there for a place to sleep and shower before moving on. This place is a little difficult to find and it looked deserted at the time I arrived, but there was an employee at the front desk. She wasn't enthusiastic or anything, but who could blame her? It was pretty late.

I had a chance to peruse the lobby with its bar and starbucks stuff. It looked pretty expensive. I made a note to myself to make sure I didn't buy anything there. It's overpriced.

The price of the room seemed reasonable for a Courtyard, but when we went to the room we found the next wing was in some form of construction, complete with a large dumpster taking up a lot of parking spaces. There was a plastic tarp blocking the hallway to that side and a very loud fan was running. My concerns were assuaged, however, when we go into the room and found it to be quiet.

The room was pretty nice. Recently updated, I think, with one big obvious oversight. There was no refrigerator. I don't really care, because I hadn't planned on using one, but there was a cabinet with a hole in it and I was a little concerned that I might be blamed for it.

One more little thing: When I was making trips back and forth I saw the housekeeper cleaning the room directly across the way. She saw me exit the room with bags and asked if I was leaving. I knew my wife would take about 30 more minutes so I said not quite yet. She then asked when I was leaving. I don't think she meant to be rude, but it could have been taken that way. I laughed and told her it would be about another half hour.

Nothing about my stay was enough to stop me from returning, but I really think they should have to inform guests BEFORE they commit to staying that there is construction taking place. It probably wouldn't have made a difference to me, but it might to somebody else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Rachel C, Manager at Courtyard Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your response and for choosing to stay with us! We were doing some construction but it wasn't due to a renovation. There was a sprinkler incident in a guest room not too long ago and the crew was finishing up the repair work that needed to be done. I know this was inconvenient to you and to other guests and I do apologize about that. Again, thank you for staying with us and I do hope you choose us in the future!
Mansfield, Georgia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This property has been updated and the lobby and other amenities are top notch. My only reason for giving the property 4 stars instead of 5 was because the beds, in my opinion, were too soft. Probably ok for one person, but if two people are on them you feel like your are sleeping in a valley. Since we had just spent a couple of nights at a "regular" Marriott, the difference in bed quality was quite noticeable. Again, this may be a person preference, but if you end up with the 2 queen bed room and need to sleep 2 to a bed, you will notice the difference.

Room Tip: As per my comments, if you get the 2 queen bed room, consider only one person to a bed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
I'm so sorry that you did not enjoy our new mattresses! I do understand that everyone does have a different preference when it comes to bedding and the firmness of a mattress. I do appreciate your business!
North Topsail Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I was in town for business. It was clean, convenient, quiet and friendly. I was able to check-in upon arrival even though it was 11 am. The pool was warm and the bed/ linens where soft and comfortable. I got a restful night sleep. It was a great value for such a quality stay. I couldn't have chosen a better hotel!

• Stayed September 2013
Georgia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Booked in in for 2 nights over the weekend. The room was recently redone and pretty nice.New carpet,paint,flat panel tv,furnishings and nice bath upgrades.
Hotel staff was very acommodating when I asked for a room on the bottom floor near the entrance.The hotel sets back off of Abercorn Expway away from the traffic rush noise....if heading south on Abercorn, the sign out front is a little obscured by shrubbery,so watch for it closely after Jackson Ave and just BEFORE Bennigan's restuarant ( closed).Near the Malls (Oglethorpe and Savannah Mall) and food. 10-15 min ride downtown. Felt safe in the area and would definitely consider staying here again.

One thing of note to Mgmnt: AC was a tad bit musty,maybe a filter change is in order.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Rachel C, Manager at Courtyard Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our newly renovated rooms! We are in the process of working on the signage on Abercorn Street to make it more visible to our guests. If you would please email me at cy.savch.gm@marriott.com and let me know your last name, I can find out what room you stayed in and have my Engineering department check out the AC in the room. Thank you for your feedback!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My husband and I decided to book a trip to Savannah. We usually stay near River Street but decided to stay on Abercorn this stay. The hotel was nice but the issue was on Sunday morning. Checkout is 12 pm and the housekeepers were beating on our door at 9 in the morning. Never mind the fact that we partied all night and didn't get in until 3. They were beating on the door like the place was on fire. Unbelievable! !!! So, I called the front desk to find out what was going on and they just ask like...no big deal. Their like oh sorry about that...really!!!! Poor customer service. I couldn't get back to sleep and my body is paying for it. I SHOULD HAVE ASKED FOR A MANAGER.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! I do appreciate you letting me know what happened the morning you were checking out. I do apologize for that and you are correct, the housekeeper should not have disturbed you until check out time. I will go over this again with all of the housekeepers to ensure their understanding of not disturbing our guests. Again, my apologies, and I do hope you choose to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the Savannah area!