“Definitely not worth it”
Review of Forsyth Park Inn

Forsyth Park Inn
Ranked #10 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Mass.
“Definitely not worth it”
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I stayed at this inn about 5 years ago with my husband and it was a very delightful experience. Because of this I highly recommended to my friends that we stay there on our recent trip to Savannah. Nothing was the same. The service, the accommodations and the food had all gone down hill. Our room had a toilet that needed to be flushed 3 times. The switch for the air conditioner sparked when turned up or down, tiles were missing from the bathroom floor, and there was only one electrical outlet in the bathroom and no usable outlets in the bedroom. These inferior accommodations could have been overlooked if the staff was friendly and accommodating. When we told them about the sparking air conditioning switch in our room, they denied that there was any safety issue. They never fixed the toilet during our three days there. The breakfasts were meager and very ordinary. They scheduled breakfast in half-hour increments and actually became very upset when one of my friends was 3 minutes later than our scheduled seating time. We had to eat breakfast in less than 30 minutes in order to make room for the next seating. One bottle of red wine and one bottle of white wine were put out each afternoon and both bottles were already opened and half gone when put out. The hors d'oeuvres turned out to be salsa and chips and small pieces of bread with melted cheese. Wine and hors d’oeuvres were served in their enchanted garden five years ago but are now served in their living room apparently to save time. The desserts that were put out before bedtime turned out to be small store bought cream puffs one night and cookies the next night. The cookies, however, were all gone when we returned to the inn at 10 p.m. even though we were told desserts would be available throughout the night. The worst part of our stay was the additional $50. they tacked on each day for the third person. They never mentioned the additional $50. per day when we made the reservation for 3 people. When we disputed the additional charge they tried to tell us we never booked the room for three people. When we convinced them that we did, they said they sometimes don’t tell people because the third person sometimes doesn’t show. They would not budge on the rate and had already charged our credit card. The room was definitely not worth $384. per night and we intend to dispute the charge with our credit card company. They definitely don't care to make their guests feel welcomed and obviously have cut corners to try to offer as little as possible in the way of amenities. The owner is no longer on the premises and the maid seems to be the one in charge. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unfriendly and unprofessional staff
  • Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank zoeym
Rick_LoriSavannah_GA, Owner at Forsyth Park Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2009
The two negative reviews posted by guests who stayed with us in May are written by the members of the same party who became very irritated at check out when they acted surprised to see that there was, not as they stated, a $50.00 additional charge for the third person staying, but rather a $30.00 charge per night. This was explained to the guest when she originally booked the reservation and also a customary charge of inns and hotels. We do not have "hidden" fees or charges.
In addition they stated that the owner was not on the premise, but indeed I was, cooking their breakfast, including a "gluten free" breakfast each morning. This was not requested in advance, but rather at the last minute. I gladly accommodated the request each morning. Each morning on the breakfast menu is our homemade granola, a fresh fruit first course, a full breakfast ranging from eggs benedict to made from scratch blueberry buttermilk pancakes, stuffed french toast, omelets of all kinds, sides such as oven baked herb potatoes, Georgia grits, potato pancakes, polenta, bacon, sausage patties or links, biscuits, breakfast breads, croissants, toast. We have always been know for our pleasing and abundant breakfast. We do have 30 minute seatings and our guests would never be treated poorly if they were running late. Guests may always linger and enjoy coffee on our verandah rocking chairs or in our private courtyard garden. They may also enjoy these common areas any time of the day or evening and are never restricted to just the parlor.
In regard to specific comments about the room, I was only informed while preparing breakfast for our guests that one of the ladies could not figure out how to turn the shower on. My supervisor immediately went to her room and showed her how to simply turn the lever. I was also told by my staff that one of the ladies banged both of her hands on our front desk asking my concierge "what is there to do around here" and "isn't there miniature golf around here". Another call that I received from my staff one evening was about the thermostat in their room "sparking". This has never happened and my staff switched it on and off several times and did not experience any sparking whatsoever. They possibly could have experienced static electricity, but the system was checked and is in proper working order. We were never informed about the toilet not flushing properly. That too was checked and seems to be in fine working order. As for the outlets located in the floor, even a wall outlet would require bending and this was done many years ago so not to damage the over 100 year old wainscoting that surrounds the entirety of this room. My true feeling is that they were simply not prepared to pay the charge for the extra person and the inn's amenities were not such that pleased them. Therefore, as they stated in their review, the LaQuinta was like a "breath of fresh air" and obviously more their kind of place.
My staff and myself make every effort to insure that our guests are treated warmly, kindly and shown true southern hospitality. We regret that this group of ladies did not feel they had that experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We just returned from a one night stay in room 11--many other inns would not accommodate a short stay, so we felt lucky to find the Forsyth Park. Even though this was on the lowest level, which we were not expecting, the room was still bright and airy as well as clean and comfortable. There was a deep soaking tub with a shower handle, but no mounting--very European and didn't bother us, though this may be a put off to many. The staff was among the most helpful that I've encountered and the location was marvelous. We loved that, in addition to breakfast, they also served wine and hors d'oevres on their veranda every evening. We would certainly return in the future.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlisaAAM
Orlando
Reviewed 26 October 2008

This was my second time staying here and once again everything was perfect! You have the Forsyth Park right across the street which is so beautiful. It is about a mile from the riverfront but my mom & and I walked it daily. (It wasn't bad. You walked through the squares which all have benches incase you need to take a break. It's any easy walk.)
The breakfast was great. Southern cooking. Then from 6-7 they have wine hour and then at night they have dessert. It was great. I will stay here again. This is the only place in Savannah that I will ever stay at. LOVE IT!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank amaybride
Wakefield MA
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We stayed 5 days in the Cottage at the Inn. The accomodations in the Cottage and the Inn were wonderful. The breakfasts in the parlor and on the porch were spectacular. What made the stay remarkable was the owner and the staff. Lori, Gerry and Mary were incredibly welcoming and attentive to our every need. They did anything they could think of to make our stay nothing short of perfect. We felt at home and well cared for which is what a good Inn is all about. This was the vacation I wished would never end.

• Liked — Beautiful Inn, friendly staff
  • Disliked — That I had to leave!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 4 April 2008

We can echo what others have said on Trip Advisor about the wonderful service and overall lovely experience of the Forsyth Park Inn. It's a beautiful home inside and out, and we stayed in two different rooms #7 and #5, both really lovely and comfortable. (Our only caveat is that both face the busy street and there is car noise. Next time, we'd try Room 6 facing the back courtyard with a pretty fountain.) The staff, especially John, Jerry and Karina, and the proprietor Lori made the experience particularly wonderful -- everyone we encountered went out of their way to be of service and helpful, even when our trip was delayed a day due to airport weather. The plentiful breakfast each morning was delicious, and the wine and hors d'oeurves at 6 pm, and the sweets later at night, as well as iced tea at all hours, were such a great added touch. We enjoyed sitting in the parlor and petting the cats, especially Sadie. We traveled there for our 20th anniversary, and the experience at the Forsyth Park Inn made it truly memorable. We're really glad we came. -- James and Ron

Stayed March 2008
Newburyport, MA
Reviewed 20 March 2008

If not for the Forsyth Park Inn, our vacation getaway to Savannah, the first time there for my wife and I, would have been a vacation throwaway! After our US Airways flight from NY was canceled we were forced to travel standby arriving at the Savannah airport 8 hours later than expected and only to discover that US Airways had made other travel arrangements for our luggage. We called the Inn to let them know we had finally arrived and upon learning of our situation, John, the concierge offered to change our dinner reservations and said he would have wine waiting for us when we arrived. Not only did he have the wine, a glass of white for me and red for my wife but we were also presented with a cheese and cracker plate, something we really appreciated after not eating all day. As the wine worked its magic and the stress of the day started to fade we took in our surroundings. The Forsyth Park Inn is a classic Victorian, beautifully appointed and immaculately kept. Our rooms (we stayed in two during our stay, rooms 5 and 9) were spacious and tastefully decorated. My wife said, "most comfortable and restful beds she has ever slept in away from home." We knew the inn was full with guests but we did not hear them and overall the environment was tranquil and very relaxing. The staff was attentive throughout and while we were still stressed out by our missing luggage they took great pains to ease our minds and make our stay more pleasant. The Forsyth Inn was definitely the highlight of our time in Savannah and we would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a refined B&B experience.

Andre and Mari Pascal

• Liked — Beautiful environment, atmosphere, charm, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrayDay
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 1 November 2007

I took my girlfriend to the Forsyth Park Inn for a romantic birthday celebration. I was really amazed at the outstanding level of service and professionalism provided by the hotel staff. They were extremely courteous and friendly without ever being overbearing, and their efforts greatly improved the celebrations I had planned. For example, we arrived for check-in several hours sooner than I had expected and I had ordered a bottle of champaigne to be delivered and waiting in the room for our arrival. The concierge calmly and pleasantly offered us some wine in the dining area and talked to us about dinner options while a co-worker secretly hurried upstairs and made sure everything was ready for our arrival. When we got to the room, everything looked so great and we had a wonderful start to our weekend. I only heard about their efforts the next morning.. Their approach was to try to make everything as special as they would want it to be for themselves.

Aside from the service, the bed and breakfast is in a quaint, beautifully maintained old house across the street from lovely Forsyth Park, and walking distance to everything in the Historic District. I LOVED staying here and would list it as one of the 2 or 3 best places I have ever stayed.

Thank you again to the hotel for helping make our weekend so special!

• Liked — Wonderful, warm service
  • Disliked — I wish I didn't have to leave!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple