“GREAT food, GREAT stories and GREAT people!!!!!!!”
Review of Forsyth Park Inn

Forsyth Park Inn
Ranked #8 of 31 Savannah B&B and Inns
Michigan
“GREAT food, GREAT stories and GREAT people!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 17 May 2009

We wanted to to tell everyone how wonderful our trip was to Savannah. This was do largely to the staff and Inn Keeper of The Forsyth Park Inn. Every morning there would be a delicious breakfast waiting for us on the Verandah. What a perfect way to start the day. Thanks Lori!!!! Everyday we would ask Jessica or Jerry about different tours we were interested in or suggestions about restaurants to dine at. They bent over backwards to help us out. They just picked up the phone and scheduled our dining and tour reservations. How much easier can that get? The ladies who work in the mornings to serve us breakfast and clean our rooms were very nice and they did a great job. I can't say enough about how helpful the staff is here. Thanks to all of you at The Forsyth Park Inn for making our first trip to Savannah enjoyable. We will see you again in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fiestymsu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Atlanta
Reviewed 14 May 2009

What a wonderful place to come and relax after a long day of sightseeing in Savannah. I didn't even want to leave the room it was so beautiful! The location couldn't be better, right across the street from Forsyth Park. I was traveling with my dog so it was great to be able to bring her and have the park right across the street. The room was very clean, as was the rest of the Inn. Breakfast was amazing! Definitely a great start to the day, and cocktail hour was wonderful too. It was perfect to have some tasty hors d'oeuvres, some wine and relax on the porch before going to dinner. The staff was very helpful in suggesting fun things to do and great places to eat. Check out the Old Pink House, it was great! I will definitely be returning to the Forsyth Park Inn the next time I come to Savannah!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank rockymountaingirl83
Southend Essex
Reviewed 6 May 2009

We were married in Forsyth Park seven years ago and discovered the Inn , by chance, as we had travelled from England having fallen in love with Savannah the year before. The friendliness, thoughtfulness and care that we were given at that time was superb, and the owner and staff went out of their way to make our wedding very very special. Every year since then we have returned to the Inn and often combined our holiday with a further week down in Florida. We now have a daughter,and the three of us stay at the Inn finding it hard on our last day to tear ourselves away after the relaxing , pampered few days that we spend there. The staff are still the same and never seem to change, we have seen many improvements over the years and the owner has spent considerable time and money decorating all the rooms with impeccable taste. We love room 5.
I was so surprised to read a negative review about this place as we were there only 10 days ago and found everything to be just perfect. The food is always home cooked and I know that the owner is usually there to cook the breakfasts and makes the hors doevres herself. Often when we have been there it has been very busy and if the wine, or food is running short , just ask ,and extra will be brought from the kitchen. This place has such a feel of the deep South and for we Brits is incredibly romantic and special. We will be back there for Christmas as we love the old fashioned traditional feel that Inn has when it has all been decorated, and if we are lucky we might even get chance to sit on Tybee Beach and escape the usual rain and damp that we get in the UK.
We love this place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank JanetRix
Atlanta
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My experience at the inn was wonderful! The rooms were lovely, clean, & decorated beautifully. We had an outside delicious breakfast which overlooked Forsyth Park, and during the evening, we enjoyed wine, good conversation, and homemade hors d'oeuvres (which were wonderful, by the way!) Lori, the owner, was particularly very sweet. She as well as her staff were more than accommodating, as well as charming. We also had an opportunity to check out some of the other rooms; and they too were also decorated to perfection! This inn has an exquisite taste in southern hospitality & I will be coming back to visit very soon! Thank you so much to Lori & her staff!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank driag123
montreal
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I had a wonderful stay at the Forsyth Park Inn. The location was great, the staff was very courteous, and the room was beautiful. Thank you very much for making my visit Savannah very memorable.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank plsbkm
boston
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Expected an elegant inn for the almost $400 per night with adding in taxes and additonal third guest. Was so very dissapointed. Room 3 seemed nice enough at first until you try to get ready for the day. Only mirror is in the bathroom over the sink. If you wanted to use an electrical outlet other than in the bathroom, meant going down on your knees and trying to plug into a floor outlet. Not easy if your older than 35! Not to mention the electrical service couldn't handle a blow dryer, kept going on and off..... Our room was very dark even during the morning. Room left much to be desired in ease of getting three people ready for the day. TV in it was very small and very old. I know this was suppose to be a "Inn" experience compared to a more modern hotel, HOWEVER, like I say for $400 per night, we certainly expected alot more and should have received alot more. There wasn't anything close to special about the meals or snacks. The hurried atmosphere to eat breakfast and not be able to linger over coffee, really became very annoying. Felt I was on management's schedule, not mine. Certainly didn't feel the Southern charm we had hope to expect. Just very business like. This Inn is quite a way from the water front area and at night would advise taking cabs. The park across the street is very nice duirng the day, however at night, we certainly did not feel comfortable sitting out on the porch watching individuals walking in and out of one particular area on a constant basis and then walking by us on their way down the street. Left to go back in our room and realized that the window/door opening on this porch did not have a workable lock. When you realize that no staff stays overnight on the premises, felt not very safe, except for the heavy locks on our room door. This place is just not worth the cost in any way. Yes, some of the rooms are pretty but overall I would say the inn has more of a gothic appearance than that of a true southern mansion. A few nights there were only us and one other couple all night. Signs left out saying to call 911 if an emergency occured seemed to shout out to me "your own your own" at night time when it comes to safety. Never again. Stayed at a La Quinta Inn on our way home that seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to the Forsyth Inn and, of course, for 1/4 the cost. If we got something for the money we spent at this Inn I know I would have enjoyed it more, but this was just a mediocre experience all around. Just a huge letdown. Oh, did I mention the parking? there was none - unless you lucked out on the steet close by. We didn't , as a art festival was being held across at the park the day of our arrival. Had to lug all our luggage two blocks then up the front stairs oursleves.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank bostonmadison
Rick_LoriSavannah_GA, Owner at Forsyth Park Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2009
The two negative reviews posted by guests who stayed with us in May are written by the members of the same party who became very irritated at check out when they acted surprised to see that there was, not as they stated, a $50.00 additional charge for the third person staying, but rather a $30.00 charge per night. This was explained to the guest when she originally booked the reservation and also a customary charge of inns and hotels. We do not have "hidden" fees or charges.
In addition they stated that the owner was not on the premise, but indeed I was, cooking their breakfast, including a "gluten free" breakfast each morning. This was not requested in advance, but rather at the last minute. I gladly accommodated the request each morning. Each morning on the breakfast menu is our homemade granola, a fresh fruit first course, a full breakfast ranging from eggs benedict to made from scratch blueberry buttermilk pancakes, stuffed french toast, omelets of all kinds, sides such as oven baked herb potatoes, Georgia grits, potato pancakes, polenta, bacon, sausage patties or links, biscuits, breakfast breads, croissants, toast. We have always been know for our pleasing and abundant breakfast. We do have 30 minute seatings and our guests would never be treated poorly if they were running late. Guests may always linger and enjoy coffee on our verandah rocking chairs or in our private courtyard garden. They may also enjoy these common areas any time of the day or evening and are never restricted to just the parlor.
In regard to specific comments about the room, I was only informed while preparing breakfast for our guests that one of the ladies could not figure out how to turn the shower on. My supervisor immediately went to her room and showed her how to simply turn the lever. I was also told by my staff that one of the ladies banged both of her hands on our front desk asking my concierge "what is there to do around here" and "isn't there miniature golf around here". Another call that I received from my staff one evening was about the thermostat in their room "sparking". This has never happened and my staff switched it on and off several times and did not experience any sparking whatsoever. They possibly could have experienced static electricity, but the system was checked and is in proper working order. We were never informed about the toilet not flushing properly. That too was checked and seems to be in fine working order. As for the outlets located in the floor, even a wall outlet would require bending and this was done many years ago so not to damage the over 100 year old wainscoting that surrounds the entirety of this room. My true feeling is that they were simply not prepared to pay the charge for the extra person and the inn's amenities were not such that pleased them. Therefore, as they stated in their review, the LaQuinta was like a "breath of fresh air" and obviously more their kind of place.
My staff and myself make every effort to insure that our guests are treated warmly, kindly and shown true southern hospitality. We regret that this group of ladies did not feel they had that experience.
Mass.
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I stayed at this inn about 5 years ago with my husband and it was a very delightful experience. Because of this I highly recommended to my friends that we stay there on our recent trip to Savannah. Nothing was the same. The service, the accommodations and the food had all gone down hill. Our room had a toilet that needed to be flushed 3 times. The switch for the air conditioner sparked when turned up or down, tiles were missing from the bathroom floor, and there was only one electrical outlet in the bathroom and no usable outlets in the bedroom. These inferior accommodations could have been overlooked if the staff was friendly and accommodating. When we told them about the sparking air conditioning switch in our room, they denied that there was any safety issue. They never fixed the toilet during our three days there. The breakfasts were meager and very ordinary. They scheduled breakfast in half-hour increments and actually became very upset when one of my friends was 3 minutes later than our scheduled seating time. We had to eat breakfast in less than 30 minutes in order to make room for the next seating. One bottle of red wine and one bottle of white wine were put out each afternoon and both bottles were already opened and half gone when put out. The hors d'oeuvres turned out to be salsa and chips and small pieces of bread with melted cheese. Wine and hors d’oeuvres were served in their enchanted garden five years ago but are now served in their living room apparently to save time. The desserts that were put out before bedtime turned out to be small store bought cream puffs one night and cookies the next night. The cookies, however, were all gone when we returned to the inn at 10 p.m. even though we were told desserts would be available throughout the night. The worst part of our stay was the additional $50. they tacked on each day for the third person. They never mentioned the additional $50. per day when we made the reservation for 3 people. When we disputed the additional charge they tried to tell us we never booked the room for three people. When we convinced them that we did, they said they sometimes don’t tell people because the third person sometimes doesn’t show. They would not budge on the rate and had already charged our credit card. The room was definitely not worth $384. per night and we intend to dispute the charge with our credit card company. They definitely don't care to make their guests feel welcomed and obviously have cut corners to try to offer as little as possible in the way of amenities. The owner is no longer on the premises and the maid seems to be the one in charge. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unfriendly and unprofessional staff
  • Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends