“My Trip to Savannah, GA”

Quality Inn Midtown
Ranked #57 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 8 July 2014

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd have to give it a big 20............No complaints , only good things to say regarding the hotel and its personnel. This was my first trip to Savannah so I had lots of things to ask the Front desk clerk and the shuttle driver. Both were gracious enough to tell me things I wanted to know. I needed the Handicap room and everything I needed was there for me.

Room Tip: My room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The Front Desk clerk was very helpful. We used the s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Sam D, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Wow! Thanks for letting us know about your stay! It always makes this job easier when reviews are full of positives! We're glad you had a good trip and we hope you'll come back and see us for your future trips to Savannah!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

When we checked in the front desk personell was very friendly and helpful. The room had a damp feel to it and late at night we found a rather large wet spot in front of the A/C. The next am, I told the lady at the desk and she promptly had us change to another room so they could fix the problem in the old room. The new room felt much drier.I did have to ask for a hairdryer as the one in the room did not work. They did bring one quickly. I also noticed that the housekeeping did not mop behind the bathroom doors (perhaps because the doors open in and it would be akward to clean back there). The breakfast was good, with a variety of cereals, pastries, and bread products.The make your own waffles was a hit with my children. I appreciated the scrambled eggs and bacon, but after a few days, I was looking for variety in the hot breakfast options. The pool was nice and what I expected from the pictures. If you are particular about the pillows you use, bring your own. The pillows here are tiny, the size of throw pillows.

Room Tip: Don't get a corner room because you hear the ice machines early in the morning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for letting us know about your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear you had a few bumps along the way, but thank you for giving us the chance to make it right! Thanks for being candid with us, and we hope you'll stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is in desperate need of a revamp. It's old and rundown. Housekeeper left a shower curtain laying on our bed instead of putting it up? People outside pressure washing very early in the morning was noisy. Person at desk wasn't very knowledgeable .

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kristen8358

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your stay.

We're working on revamping the hotel from the inside out, and sometimes that's a slower process than we'd like. We've replaced the mattresses and pillows in every room. We've put 39" flat screens, microwaves and mini-fridges in every room. We've changed out the Wi-Fi access points to provide better coverage and allow more bandwidth for our guests. The exterior is a little tired, sure, but... that is on our list of projects.

I'm not sure why the shower curtain was laying on the bed (I can assure you that's not standard in the rooms...). The pressure washing is part of our effort to maintain and keep this "dump" clean (unfortunately, we don't have the model with a silencer attachment). As far as the knowledgeable staff at the front desk, we are changing around our lineup to try and take better care of our guests.

Butterflies are not born as butterflies. They must start as the caterpillar before they can be transformed. The best is yet to come.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We reserved this stay through hotels.com so I relied on reviews. Some were rough but others were in favor. I am so glad we stayed here. Comfy beds, air conditioning worked great, breakfast included bacon and eggs and waffles (there wasn't any syrup, not sure if they ran out or just don't serve it. There was honey tho), pool and gym were great too. I felt safe and very pleased. I've stayed at much more pricey hotels with less comfort. The hotel is definitely not new but I'd stay here again without hesitation. About 10 minutes from River front. We saved $$ on the room, was very pleased, and recommend it to others.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Sam D, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your stay! Going to a city or hotel you've never experienced before, it's VERY helpful to have reviews to rely on. It's like having others do reconnaissance for you. You're right, some of our reviews are rather brutal. But, if we have to take our lumps when we've earned it so we can bask in reviews like yours.

We usually do have syrup for the waffles -- Apparently we thought we had more than we did that morning. I'm glad to hear you had a great stay otherwise, and hope you'll come see us again soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My family and I went there on our way back from Orlando, Fla and stayed at the Quality Inn Midtown. The check in process was a little bit of a zoo and they clerks were overwhelmed. One lady spoke broken English and the other was a little rude. We booked a room with a double bed but was told that we booked a king bed room. I was with my two teen age daughters and I knew that would be an issue. The people in front of me had booked one room but was given two rooms with double beds and they were told since they booked it they paid for it. Since they did not book it through them their worries with with Priceline not them. I asked to take their room since it was available but was told that they were sold out and they could not help us. So instead of accommodating two guests they now had two upset guests. I booked through Wyndham Travel and I know what I booked. But there was not need to argue as the clerk was not interested in assisting either of us. She stated you booked it through someone else so you're stuck with what we have available and we cannot make any changes. I guess that is how they run their show. So make sure you get only one room or the beds you need and a verification before you use this facility. The only thing was that I had already paid for two nights and was stuck with being there. Oh but they were full!
The room was clean and it did have all the necessary items to make us feel comfortable. The room was clean as well and they serviced the room while we were out having fun. They did have a nice pool which we never used but did see others enjoying it during the evening hours. The morning breakfast was a highlight as they did have a nice area with plenty of choices for everyone. Since they were full it was a little crowded but that part of traveling during the summer months.
I found that the mileage was correct to the Riverfront in Savannah. Straight down Abercorn Street and your right in the middle of the historical district. We had signed up for the Old Town Trolley Tours so it was a easy trip to their location and parking was free. The hotel was close to both places we picked out for eating out - Outback and Longhorn. This was a plus also for us as we were not familiar with Savannah. Thank God for GPS!
I would recommend this hotel as a reasonable place to stay since it was in the under $100 range of prices for hotels in Savannah.

Room Tip: Just make sure you triple confirm what style of room you have and how many rooms you booked.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SMRay
Sam D, Director of Sales at Quality Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm glad to hear everything AFTER check-in was great!

Regarding the pandemonium that is check-in on a weekend -- It can get a little hairy up there. We have over 150 rooms and everyone seems to show up at the same time to check-in. We're working on expanding our front desk staff to accommodate the busy times, as well as having our best folks working the prime hours.

Regarding being "stuck with a room", when a room is booked with a 3rd party (i.e. Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, etc) we are obligated to the terms of the reservation as we receive them. Any changes to the reservation needs to be made through them. If we have availability, it's usually not an issue to modify a reservation as long as the 3rd party is included in the conversation (hotels modifying/altering reservations without keeping the 3rd party in the loop is likely to lead to a declaration of shenanigans -- and then the brooms come out!!).

Where we run into a problem is when we are sold out (which is common on weekends between St Patrick's Day and Labor Day in Savannah!!). If we have commitments for every room with a King Bed and every room with a Double Bed, we have no room to make the adjustments even when the 3rd Party is in the conversation.

The breakdown happens when a 3rd party encourages our mutual customers to "just make the change when they check in"... I encourage anyone booking through a 3rd party to verify the reservation with the hotel. We can tell you the room type, the special requests (pet room/handicapped/smoking), and everything else but the rate. If that doesn't match what you booked with the 3rd party, follow up with them right away! We have people ask about the Suite they booked with a pull-out bed and jacuzzi tubs through a 3rd party. We have none of those amenities -- and I have this conversation with people on a weekly basis.

The bottom line is, we WANT to accommodate our guests when they stay with us, and we want it to be exactly what they booked. We like the idea of happy guests. I apologize if the response from the front desk came off as indifferent. I've been on the guest side of reservation mishaps when going through a 3rd party and understand the frustration. If you have a bad experience with the hotel, we're definitely the ones to fix that. If you have a bad experience with the transaction/reservation process, and are booked through a 3rd party, they are the only ones to make it right.

In the meantime, we're changing our weekend lineup at the front desk and discussing the need to stay professional, responsive and friendly to all of our guests' needs.

I hope you'll give us another try on your next visit to Savannah!!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This Quality Inn should be taken off of the Choice List. They are not concerned with their customers only filling rooms. We had a refrigerator truck parked right outside our room running for hours and would run all night. It was our 3rd night of a week booked. The clerk on duty that night Sana Badel did nothing but tell us one story after another how she didn't know who owned the truck to she talked to them and will move it. Nothing happened. After going back and forth with her for 5 hours trying to get the truck moved to another area she told us we could change rooms. My boyfriend is handicapped and it was pouring outside and this truck driver was staying one night we were staying 7 and her solution was to tell us to pack up and change rooms or we could call the police if we wanted to then she hung up on us. Eventually by 11 that night after 5 hours of trying to get this taken care of the security guard got the driver up and awake and move his truck which didnt move for at least another half an hour This is the service you get. We asked for the manager and were never given him. We talked to him in the morning and he didn't see a problem with what they did. The manager Harshil Patel would only say we have 110 rooms and we were trying to find the right person. And in the next breath said he stays here every week. So they knew who it was the whole time and just didn't want to ask him to move his truck. They rather have a handicapped person pack everything up on their third night there and move rooms in the rain then to disturb a driver staying one night to move his truck. And after an hour of arguing with the manager about doing his job for 5 hours and being rudely hung up on by his staff he still said they did everything they could and they didn't owe us anything. Finally he offered to take the one night off and "speak" to the night clerk. Whatever you do avoid this Quality Inn because if you stay and have any kind of issue this is the service they offer.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear it was a bad experience.

While I cannot defend rude behavior by the front desk staff toward ANY guest, based on the "talk" I overheard the next morning between you and the General Manager, I can see where she got rattled after repeated phone calls seeking resolution.

I don't know why it took 5 hours to reach the driver of the truck in response to your initial complaint. In the meantime we offered to change your room to accommodate you, and that was not an acceptable resolution.

I'm sorry we contributed to your inconvenience you and that you had to deal with the noise from "the truck ten rooms away" (which puts it at approximately 180 feet from your room).

I understand you wanting to cut your stay short, and we were happy to accommodate that request. Your requests for staying free of charge as well as calling for the termination of some of our staff was more than we could comply with.

We hope you were able to find adequate lodging for the remainder of your stay.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I agree that this was an ok stay for the price. My room was clean and fairly quiet. We did hear some noise from the near by Army Base but the air condition unit was more then enough to drowned it out. The parking lot was pretty full but we still found a sit to park near by our room. The on site nightclub wad a bit sketch. There were several restaurants nearby. Only a few minuets from down town. Overall I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for telling us about your stay!

We're glad you enjoyed it and hope you'll come see us again soon!