“Fallen angel...”

Hyatt Regency Savannah
Ranked #31 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 February 2014

If you have come to this page you will have seen there are mixed reviews of the hotel. In my opinion this is just an average hotel, which probably was great at one point but has fallen in quality and brilliance for one reason or another.

Got to stay three nights in January, when the weather is cold and it is the down (dead) season in Savannah. Mind you, I almost prefer that to the excessively busy season where everything is twice as expensive and service in quality will normally drop...

Anyhow, focusing on the hotel itself, the receptionists are just "meeeehhhh". Not good, not bad either. Diddn't feel much enthusiasm the few times I asked for something. I suspect they must be parttimers / students, thus have other priorities in their lives than making a career in hospitality and worrying about delivering top notch service. I did get the upsell talk I get every now and then trying to get me to go to a bigger room for an extra, or to a room with a better view also for an extra. Not good. If you want to upgrade me, just offer it but don't upsell it, as if we were in a Moroccan market. Also, on the last day I inquired about a possible late checkout (was there for work), and I was graciously told it was possible for 70 dollars extra... Thank god we were in low season... Needless to say I declined and put my things in the car, parked in the underground.

The room was all right, just above average. No fridge, but a couple of bottles of water (at 5 dollars each if I remember well), and a tv with very poor image quality. Didn't come to Savannah to watch TV, but still. The door to the room was old and did not close well, as most others on the floor, which meant that you practically had to slam it to close it. Again, not major issue except if it happens in the middle of the night or early morning, which it eventually did. And another sign of lack of attention to details and investment to keep the hotel at the level they pretend it is.
The killer was the room cleaning. On the first day, I came back to my room at three, and it still hadn't been done. Took a quick nap and when I returned in the vening, the bed had been done, but neither the sink in the bathroom nor the bathtub had been cleaned. There were still hair from combing my head in the sink, and the wrap paper from the soap bar was laying there in the bath tub... The bad thing is that the same thing happened the next two days. I know because I would systematically find dried toothpaste and hair in the sink, and the same soap bar in the tub I had left on purpose there to test the cleaning service. Well, they get a BIG F. The only thing they did was the bed, and empty one of the waste bins (not all). Oh, and change towels. But no rearranging the room furniture, no cleaning the sinks/tubs, no vacuuming (also found hair on the bathroom floor) and who knows what else.

The court in the centre of the hotel has a couple of businesses, but nothing to write home about. They also close early. The hotel bar was closed the night I decided to get the last drink before going to bed. Apparently they call it quits at midninght.

Finally, the gym is not appealing at all, it is in a sort of long corridor and the machines don't look great at all, although I didn't try them. The pool is a complete joke, just good for babies or little children. Tiny in size and depth. Don't even think about swimming, too small. Just good enought to get wet. Up to the waist that is...

In short, this looks like a hotel lacking adequate supervision, with unmotivated staff and facilities that smell the past due date. Too expensive for the return you get. Only real positive is the location. Central, close to the river, the convention center, and the historic part of town with all the typical houses and restaurants. But that is about it.

If I need to go back to Savannah I will probably try a guesthouse or event the Bohemian if I need to be next to the river for some reason.

1  Thank DarkAges
HyattSavannah, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Dark Ages,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the challenges you had during your stay at the Hyatt Regency Savannah. I have made note of your comments and have shared it with upper management about the comments you had about the hotel. We appreciate feedback such as yours, because it allows us to improve our system for our future guests. We are currently in the planing phase of a renovation, and we hope that if your travels bring you back to our historic city you will choose to stay with us. If there is anything else we can do to recover from your experience, please do not hesitate to contact me at Elizabeth.Kim@Hyatt.com

Assistant Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed 2 February 2014

While the location is excellent, that's where it ends. It needs to be updated and cleaned. I have never seen a dirtier Hyatt. We upgraded our room to a suite, it was dusty the floor needed to be clean when we walked in, you could write your name on the furniture (for real). The bathroom was smaller than most people have at home and the water took for ever to get hot and the tub wouldn't drain.

While I can get over a so so room the service was even worst. We had been to a number of cities in the south on this trip and this hotel dashed all the southern charm we had seen so far. The front desk staff was very cool and impersonal and when a special request was made it was almost as if they really didn't have the time to bother.

Room Tip: I would stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sissy7500

Dear Sissy 7500,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the challenges you had during your stay with the condition of your room and the service that you received. I have notified all the managers for every department of your experience to help better improve our system. If there is anything else we can do to exceed your expectations, please let us know.

Assistant Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed 1 February 2014

My sister and I were in town for business, and this is where we were lodged. We were originally scheduled to stay at the Westin across the river, but in the end, thankful we were placed in the Hyatt due to it's town-side of the river location. Room was larger enough for two, any more felt like it would be tight. Check in was fast and efficient, our room was right near the elevators which they have three and are very fast, never waited to get to our 5th floor room. The beds were very comfortable and I got a very good nights sleep which is somewhat unusual for me in hotels without my husband.

The best part is the location. 5 minute or less walk to the ferry, right down the street from that awful, horrible and fantastically tempting River Street Sweets and their sinful pralines, and the hotel also fronts Bay Street right by Bull, so easy walking to all the interesting areas of Savannah. If I come back with my disabled husband, we will most likely stay here as the location is just perfect for someone who uses wheels to get around.

1  Thank racegrrl
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear racegrrl,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel to be perfect for your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to visit again with your husband!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

If you ever had a flight cancelled, got on another flight, and then were transferred to another airline you probably have seen a situation where your bags didn't make it to the hotel. And, when you call United it's a computer voice telling you that they don't have any information. The same happened with Delta. Nobody could do more than send a signal, no old school pick up the phone and solve the problem, even when I asked them to.
Well, I was more than upset after wearing the same cloths on day two and went to the bellman of the Hyatt hoping my bags arrived. I was so excited when he brought out a red bag that at first I thought was mine, but it wasn't. I said to the bellman with the look of despair, "what do I do?"
My instincts must have told me something about "Robert R" as he said to me, "sometimes the airlines hire shuttles to brings bags from the airline to the hotels and they mix up the bags and the tags.... and he just left! Let me call the shuttle and see what I can find out." The shuttle driver had no cell phone so he called hotels he was headed to and left a message. Within 15 minutes my bag came in. I said to the bellman, "I'm going to hug you" (just wanted to warn him so he didn't get scared!) and I hugged him again and tipped him. I was so grateful to have someone that had common sense and cared about his customer. He completely stopped everything and stayed on it until it was solved. He was smarter than the airlines and if you ever lose your bags, just ask the bellman, he must might save you too!
~Ivan the road warrior

1  Thank Ivantheroadwarrior
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Ivantheroadwarrior,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I apologize that you experienced so many challenges with airline travel during your visit but am happy to hear that Robert was a bright spot in your trip. We strive to exceed each of our guests expectations and I am delighted to hear that we were able to achieve that goal for you. I have passed your kind words to Robert and cannot wait to share them with the rest of the staff.

Thank you again and we hope that during your next visit to Savannah you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had a girls weekend in Savannah and stayed at the Hyatt. It was the perfect location for us to park and walk everywhere we wanted to go. Just a few blocks to Broughton Street and all the shops, plus all the great restaurants you could ever need. I also like staying near water, so the Hyatt in right on the river with a back access road to River Street.

The room was good size, clean, and had great water pressure in the shower. The only issue we had was the full beds - would have been more comfortable for 2 with a queen bed, but otherwise, all was good.

Nice big lobby with friendly staff and 3 fast elevators made for a very comfortable stay. We parked the first day and never used the car our entire stay. That being said, be aware that there is a parking fee of $24/night to park at the Hyatt. I wasn't aware of this prior to staying. Parking in Savannah is at a premium, so please figure that into your costs.

Room Tip: Our room was on the street side, so was a bit noisy at night. We had a white noise machine so it hel...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adro08

Dear Adro08,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review on your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location perfect for your trip and our staff friendly. We hope that you are able to come and visit with us again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

The room was clean. Hot water didn't work in the bathroom sink. Walls are thin, could hear the kids next door but am sure they were excited for New Years Eve. Was located right on the river and in the center of the historic district.. Could walk anywhere.. Didn't eat at the restaurant here, went to many others that were local. Had to go across the river to the spa at another location.

Room Tip: Can get a decent price online, rooms on the river are more expensive of course. but needed to exten...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donna a
HyattSavannah, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Donna A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. We do apologize from the loud noise, and not having a spa conveinently located in our hotel. We have shared your thoughts with upper management about having a spa in our hotel for our travelers. If there is anything else we can do to exceed your expectations, please do not hesistate to contact me at Elizabeth.kim@hyatt.com

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was on business and picked up a rate from an internet site that wa half their usual rate. The property is unchanged from years of going to Savannah. The restaurant is not open for dinner.
I am sure that is because there are such great restaraunts is Sav. The tile and marble and tub in the bathrooms is quality material but it is showing age. The bed is comfortable. Valet parking is the only option - $24. Breakfast buffet is $17.95 Good but... Watching the big ships go up and down the Sav. River is ther only appeal. Starbucks is the coffee and for those that love it, great! I like coffee; Dunkin Donuts, Gevalia, not too strong Starbucks. Ther was two people ahead of me for checking in and I was there for 9 minutes before getting in. My street side greeting was a quick, what brings you to Savannah? and then the valet did cursory review of my truck's dints and scratches so they can have a disclaimer as to any damage. The lounge staff was busy talking with each other. If I paid the normal rate of $224, I would have felt ripped off.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view for sure. Go as a couple.
2  Thank blessedman
Elizabeth k, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Blessedman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay in Savannah and hope that you will always remember your encounter with the ships going by from your hotel room with fondness. We do apologize that we were not able to exceed your expectations with breakfast in our restaurant, the coffee that you had in our Perks coffee shop, and the lounge staff not remaining attentive to you. I have also expressed your concerns with upper management about the outdated bathroom. We appreciate feedback such as yours, as it allows us to improve our operations. If there is anything we could do to exceed your expectations for your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me at Elizabeth.kim@hyatt.com

SIncerely,