“Meh.....”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Eugene, Oregon
“Meh.....”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency recently and would like to say the hotel wasn't bad, but a few things still bug me, especially after having worked in the hotel industry.

After checking in, we were upgraded to a room overlooking the river. Not bad, the room had a wonderful view of the Westin across the harbor, but if you looked the opposite direction the Savannah bridge was a great sight, and the lights at night were wonderful.

The room was clean, and I can't complain too much about the room. I was disappointed at the lack of a refrigerator in the room.

However, after checking in, and dragging our luggage to our room, we were standing there when another couple entered our room. The front desk had given 2 sets of keys to the same room. The front desk was very apologetic, the other couple was checking in at the same time and their computers never caught it, but it did leave me feeling an uneasy about somebody else walking in on our room, and as a law student with my laptop and a ton of books in the room (no, I can't even go on vacation without my books) it was of some concern for me.

We left and toured river street, came back, and our keys didn't work. This irritated me again. As we had to go back to the front desk and wait. Granted the hotel was sold out, it was just an unnecessary step. Finally, on our checkout the front desk did not have any bellmen to send to the room, and they would not allow a bell cart to leave with a guest. We'd already pushed a bell cart to the groom, so I wasn't really sure why it was a big deal at checkout. So, instead, I had to lug all my luggage down stairs and outside. I travel with about everything except the kitchen sink, so this was no easy task, especially with the added books. When I got to the valet, they managed to tell me that I'd have to carry all of my stuff back into the hotel, through the lobby, into the lift again, and back into the parking garage to obtain my car. At this point I was beyond angry and prepared to write Hyatt a nasty letter.

I want to say though, I did book the room through a third party, got a terrific rate, and was excited about my random last minute trip to Savannah. The staff for the most part went out of their way to accommodate the issues and their customer service was excellent, with the exception of the luggage cart, which they also took care of, and the valet, upon realizing that I had brought all of my stuff out refused to let me move, and she went to get my car for me and did some amazing maneuvering to get the car ready for me to load my luggage. I would not pay the normal rates for this property. It is dated and showing it's age, besides being this monstrosity on the middle of Savannah's gorgeous River Street. If the price were right, and it wasn't going to be such a chaotic time for the hotel (holiday + conventions at the same time) I would stay again because of their customer service. The manager the night of my checkin and the manager the day of checkout went above and beyond to compensate for the shortfalls of the hotel, even having booked through a third party, and for that reason, for the right price, I would certainly stay again. I just hope that they begin a massive renovation soon, as the location is amazing, the view was amazing, and the room wasn't bad, but most of all their customer service spoke wonders for this hotel.

Room Tip: The River Side rooms are great!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joshinnorthGA
HyattSavannah, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Joshinnorthga,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hyatt Regency Savannah. It gives us such pleasure knowing that our customer service exceeded your expectations and that we went above and beyond during your stay. We would like to apologize for the condition of the room not meeting your expectations and inform you that we are in the planning phase to undergo a major renovation for our hotel. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to improve our system for our future guest and we hope that you will visit us again once we have renovated our hotel.

Elizabeth Kim
Assistant Outlets Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel situated in the heart of River Street. Our room faced the river and it was really fun to watch and marvel at the huge container ships as they went by. Hotel is located within walking distance of several great restaurants and also has a great retaurant located within( and a coffee bar featuring Starbucks,too). Rooms were comfy, clean and up to date. The Staff at this hotel were friendly and attentive. Was always greeted with a friendly hello and smiling face!!

This is a great hotel with a friendly, welcoming staff located within walking distance of restaurants. shopping and sights! A great choice in a great location!!!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear jhans,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with your visit and found the hotel to be the perfect location during your stay. We hope that you are able to return again soon!

Rocky Face, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We wanted to stay downtown, and this hotel is right on the water. We could watch the container ships pass right under our window. The mattresses were good; the bar was good; it looked over River Street and it was fun to watch all the tourists walking about. We were there during a festival and sitting on the balcony at the bar was a great place to watch all the fun. It was convenient to walk to nearby places, including other restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lana S,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your stay with us! I am so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found our hotel comfortable. Vu Patio does have the best location in town to enjoy the views of Savannah River and River Street and I am so happy that you were able to enjoy that during your visit. We hope that you will come back again soon.

Florida, US
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Some staff are excellent which made the rating this good; Elizababeth stands out. . Although the location on the river seems nice if your room overlooks it, beware of loud barges sounding their horns at all hours of the night. While there for a conference at a little before 5 am woken by very short fire alarm. No explanation, unable to reach front desk by phone for over an hour. Turns out a dryer was smoking and set off alarm. No apology from hotel or even acknowledgement of occurance. Information would have been helpful. Because alarm sounded so briefly guests unsure to exit room or ignore.
Other issues... room in need of maintenance and thorough cleaning. Dust so thick on adjoining room door it also clung to ceiling. Was this really a Hilton?

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HyattRegency351, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear leslietravels-

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay at our hotel, feedback such as yours is invaluable while we strive to improve our hotel to exceed every guests' expectations. I wanted to express my sincere apology for the fire alarm waking you early in the morning and the lack of management communication to you, as well as the housekeeping issue you experienced. We recognize you have many options in accommodations, and I wanted to thank you again for staying with us. Should your travels bring you back to our historic city, we hope that you will stay with us again.

Josh Klein
Guest Services Manager
Hyatt Regency Savannah
Statesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Always stayed at the Hyatt when in Savannah. The valet parking although it costs in addition to your room will prevent you from having to find metered parking in the historic district which is less than a block away. The motel is great and service is always good. We usually opt for a more private room with a balcony on the river. It costs more but is definitely worth it as there is nothing like getting up early watching the huge ships, boats and tugs come upriver and sipping coffee as the sun comes up. Very peaceful. Jump on the elevator and step out onto River Street or Bay Street. Location, Location, Location is the key and the Hyatt has it all.

Room Tip: Ask for a more private room with a river balcony. Well worth the money.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lance C,

Thank you so much for your recent review of your stay with us. Also, thank you for your loyalty to Hyatt! We appreciate your business and are delighted to hear that you choose us to make your home when in Savannah. We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next trip!

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Not so much a fan of this hotel, I hate to say. I was here for a conference and it served its purpose well, but I barely spent any time in my room...thank gosh.

So let's start with the good - the location. It's right downtown, near tons of restaurants, bars and shops. Check-in and check-out staff are quite friendly. The meeting rooms are good, and the food provided at the meetings was good. I never did try the restaurant or bar in the hotel itself. Oh, and if you have a river view, it's wonderful. I got to spend some time in one of the big suites overlooking the river and it was lovely.

Now the rest. Which is basically the room. It's crap. The place is in some serious need for renovation, both in the rooms and the common areas, which are often scuffed up, dirty, and dinged. My room did not have a view. And I don't mean it didn't have a view of the river...it didn't have a view of the outside world. A significant (half?) number of the rooms look on to the lobby - not the river, not the city, not the outside world in any way whatsoever. I hate that so much that words cannot describe. Nothing in my room was all that nice. The WiFi was okay, but not great. At times, it got incredibly slow.

I ALMOST stayed at a Hilton family hotel nearby, but chose to stay at the conference hotel instead. I wish I had chosen elsewhere. It's an okay hotel, but there are plenty of others nearby that I'll try next time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HyattSavannah, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Zacharius,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hyatt Regency. I would like to personally apologize for the challenges you had during your stay with the room not meeting your expectations. We appreciate guest feedback such as yours, as it allows us to improve our system to help us with our future guest. We are currently in the planning phase of renovating our hotel and we hope that once the renovations are complete, you will give us the opportunity to host you again. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to exceed your expectations.

Elizabeth Kim
Assistant Food and Beverage Outlets Manager
Georgia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We just spent 4 days at a conference at the wonderful Hyatt on Riverstreet. From the moment we got out of the car we could not have been treated any better by all the staff that we came in contact with. We ate lunch at the Hyatt one day because it was raining and the food was excellent. Just could not have asked for a better time. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable. Stephanie Muehlher was our conference contact and she could not have been any better. Our meeting and functions flowed smoothly as she had thought of everything. We really appreciated her dedication and expertise as she really knows and understands her business. We would definately return to the Hyatt!

Room Tip: There really are no "bad" rooms at the Hyatt.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HyattRegency351, Manager at Hyatt Regency Savannah, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear smitholt,

Thank you so much for taking time to post a review of your most recent stay with us. WE are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that your conference was a successful one. I will certainly pass along your accolades to Stephanie Muehlher! We are excited to hear that you would return and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.