“Nice stay ”
Review of The Marshall House

The Marshall House
Ranked #4 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed the short stay here. The hotel is old (in a good way!) but still nice. Nice tv, comfy bed, super friendly staff (minus one valet guy but it was 10pm when we rolled up and he wasn't rude, just not very friendly). Location is super too, right on Broughton and a quick walk to everything. We'll def add Marshall House to our list of places we like to stay in Savannah.

Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here...They are very nice and helpful! The place was beautifully decorated. The breakfast was ok,it's more of a nice continental breakfast. The rooms are small but cozy and very clean. Highly recommend this place it's in a great location!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie K
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Marshall House was the first hotel built in Savannah and still retains that aura of history despite well-done updates in recent years. We spent two enjoyable evenings there after a wedding in South Carolina and liked the charms and creaks of staying there. The rooms are not spacious -- we paid for a "superior king," which is slightly larger than basic rooms, but on the cozy side. The bed was excellent, the bathroom well-stocked with amenities (like the wall holder for the hair dryer, something never encountered before). The bathroom was almost as tight as one on a ship, plus also confusing in trying to figure out the operation of the circular shower curtain in the claw-footed bathtub. The free breakfast was quite good, especially the flaky and thick biscuits (if we'd eaten any more of them, might not have fit into a clothes for the plane home). We particularly enjoyed ambling through the halls with their fascinating historical displays that gave a great sense of both the hotel's history and Savannah's. Front-desk staff were unfailingly polite, helpful and genuine -- adding much to our stay there. We definitely felt welcome! Lastly, Marshall House could not be better located, with its situation on Savannah's prime shopping street, yet also about halfway between the riverfront and the historic squares, within most tourist sights within moderate (and always interesting) walking distance. A word to wise travelers: We may have been a bit more enamored of Marshall House than some visitors since our last name just happens to be Marshall (no relation, however).

Room Tip: The rooms away from the street, or at least higher up, are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I went to Savannah after photographing a wedding in Charleston. Being by myself, I wanted something cozy, hospitable, walker-friendly and conducive to meeting other travelers. The Marshall House did not disappoint in the slightest.

I stayed in a Petite Queen room, which is indeed quite small, but very well appointed for one or two people without scads of luggage. The bathroom shower was acceptable, there were plenty of towels, and the robes are a delight. The bed was very, very comfy and I slept very well. The wifi was decent, and I was able to watch Netflix without too much slow-down.

I very much enjoyed the wine/cheese hour and met some lovely people also staying at the B&B. The breakfast is fairly limited, but as advertised--quiche, cereals, pastries, oatmeal, juices, fruits, yogurt, coffee. Absolutely fine for a basic breakfast. Clary's and other marvelous breakfast joints are nearby, so if you're in the mood for something more grand, take a walk for your morning nibbles.

I used valet parking ($15/night), but there is also self-park. All the staff is quite friendly and helpful.

I would definitely stay here again, and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: The Petite Queen room is perfect for one or two people with limited luggage.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Aralani
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I would definitely stay here again, and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: The Petite Queen room is good for one or two people with a couple of pieces of luggage.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We were recommend this place to stay. I heard it was haunted and was really excited about our visit and stay at this beautiful place. All staff was friendly. Had no visits from the other side though. Was really hoping. Worth the price to stay in such a historic building. They said that the third and fourth floors have the most activity.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third or fourth floor and hopefully you will get a visitor. The breakfast was exc...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A generally pleasurable experience. My wife & I spent 4 nights here being in Savannah for our son's graduation. The location is excellent & the staff is friendly and professional. The only low note was getting our car from valet. Several times there seemed to be confusion as to who, if anyone, was sent to get the car. It is in a public parking facility on a side street. At $15 per day, I would have hoped it would have been smoother & less noticeable. Internet connectivity was not the best; seemed slow &, at times, intermittent, but we were at the far end of the hallway & that could have been the reason. The room was clean & the hospitality staff was excellent.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family