“Marshall House stay”
Review of The Marshall House

The Marshall House
Ranked #5 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Relaxation! The Marshall House is BEST hotel we have ever stayed in. The entire staff is friendly, courteous and great. Stayed in 2012 for 25th wedding anniversary FANTASTIC! We were treated like royalty. That is why this year there was no doubt where to stay.

Room Tip: The Broughton balcony rooms have balcony access. Wine and cheese every evening, great breakfast quic...
1  Thank Jim J

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Lovely hotel with the friendliest staff I've ever met. Nice lobby area with a separate sitting room. I booked my room as a prepaid rate for a petite queen and a few weeks later, the price dropped. I emailed the hotel and they upgraded me to a superior king. The room was really nice with an original fireplace from 1850. Breakfast is included and consisted of eggs, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, etc. You cannot beat the location. Nothing is more than ten minutes away (walking). Really, the hotel should get five stars but I gave an overall four stars for the following reasons: my room only had a shower and no tub, during one of the breakfasts, they ran out of forks and we had to wait five minutes for forks, and the alarm clock was preset from the previous occupant and I couldn't figure out how to shut it off. I called the front desk and was told to unplug it and that housekeeping would fix it when they serviced my room. When I returned later on, the room had been serviced but the alarm clock was still unplugged. These are not major issues and I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Marshall house was not only beautiful but it was in a great location. We were able to work to many of the nearby attractions including the River front. We only got to stay only night but this easily could have been three or four night stay, tons of stuff to do in the area. On top of the very nice hotel the staff was top notch. Made us not only feel very welcomed but took time to tell us about the area and helped us set up a tour. For some additional information, the area that we were in seemed very safe. We stayed out late and walked back to the hotel, very clean and well lite streets. Had a much nicer feel then most bigger cities do.
We did not get to see any ghost... but still enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank Cassie B
Reviewed 30 July 2014

When we decided to make a quick stop in Savannah on our way up to North Carolina, we thought about the Marshall House but expected it to be more than we wanted to spend. My wife and I stayed there 13 years ago for our 1st anniversary and it was pretty pricey. We were surprised to see the current rates were lower than some of the chain hotels we typically frequent. The rooms have been updated since our last stay with new flat screen TVs, new beds and furniture but they still maintain their character with the old (sometimes squeaky) wood floors and bathrooms. Sounds from other rooms are a bit more noticeable than newer hotels as can be expected given the building's age. The breakfast while minimal compared to some was more than adequate and although we missed the afternoon wine and cheese,it's surprising that you get both for the price we paid. Now I have to note one small complaint because my wife and I both felt the same way about it. Long story short, the valets were a bit pushy, with one outside telling me they didn't receive any of the parking fee and they worked off tips (obviously). Another valet inside took our cart up to the room even though my wife said she would get it herself. Then, he appeared bothered when she told him that she didn't have any cash but that I would tip the valet outside. That said, the rest of the staff was very friendly. Bottom line, we enjoy staying at the Marshall House and will always try to stay there when we are in Savannah. Even the kids who don't always appreciate the character of the old hotels vs the amenities of the chains, felt it was a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SMGator89
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Well located with character. Staff was professional. Can valet a car for $15 and walk everywhere you need to go. Nice breakfast including 2 quiches. My old gripe is the door aren't thick and you can hear everything in the hall so light sleepers may have an issue with that.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank TJRTravel
Reviewed 28 July 2014

In the heart of downtown Savannah you will find this historic older hotel. Don't let the small slanted floor rooms scare you away. They will make up for it in southern hospitality and good location. The bar and restaurant are up to par and priced with the neighborhood. They offer a nice little breakfast starter every morning and wine and cheese in the afternoon. Don't be afraid to stay at this old haunted hotel. Original squeaking wood floors included.

Room Tip: great ice cream parlor a block away
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I really wanted to stay at The Marshall House and was thrilled to get a good deal on the room rate at the last minute. The desk staff was super helpful and our fourth floor room was superb. We had a little difficulty with our keys which was swiftly corrected. Our room, 410, was absolutely charming. We arrived in time for the wine and cheese hour but chose to walk down to the waterfront for dinner. On the way back we were caught in a thunder storm and were pleased to find the hotel offering towels in the lobby when we returned. I was interested in a "haunted hotel" experience and was not disappointed. I was not "disturbed" by ghosts, but I was awakened repeatedly by the blankets being pulled from the bed and I awoke to find my necklaces had been tied in multiple knots. I can't wait to revisit The Marshall House for a longer stay in Savannah.

Room Tip: Keep in mind you can hear people walking up and down the hall in the morning and slamming the doors...
3  Thank bryndlwulf