“Perfection”

Ranked #4 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Chelsea, Alabama
“Perfection”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

After reading reviews for several hotels in Savannah we decided to stay at the Marshall House. What a great decision! We were made to feel like royalty from the moment we pulled up at the door until we pulled away headed home. Everyone was very friendly and very attentive to our needs. The concierge Ricky was especially helpful. He gave us great suggestions for dinner. It was our anniversary and we wanted to go somewhere special that had the feel of Savannah. Ricky made reservations for us at The Old Pink House. Our evening was perfect. We stayed in the Joel Chandler Harris Suite. This was a great surprise since I am a huge fan of his work. We had no idea that he had lived there in the 1800's. I was completely shocked when we first arrived to our room. What were the odds of staying in this room out of all the rooms in Savannah? This was an added bonus for me! The room itself was small but elegant. The hotel is convenient to River Street and ideal for walking through the beautiful downtown area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skeese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Hudson, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Stayed for just one night, because of a change in plans. Because of it being off-season and a Wednesday night, the rate for this beautiful old Inn just blew me away! The service was the best, the decor wonderful, and the queen size room was very comfortable (small, but elegant). Everything was top notch - comp. wine & cheese in the evening in the Library; comp. breakfast in the enclosed Atrium; and an after dinner drink in the classy lounge.
It is right on the main shopping street in the historic district, but the valet parking ($15 per night) makes it easy. Just a short walk to any of the sites and excellant restaurants.
We will be back to spend more time in this wonderful hotel & city!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Asheville NC
Reviewed 29 September 2010

We went to Savannah for our wedding anniversary. Our grown kids ordered a bottle of champagne and oranje juice as a surprise for us. It was delivered to our room as requested with a card attached signed by the staff of the hotel. We were surprised and pleased and called downstairs to thank them for their generosity and thoughtfullness, not knowing it was from our children. Not until we talked to our son did we learn that he had to "deal with staff" to even get ths done., including his request to have a note attached that it was from them. And not until we questioned why this didn't happen, did they acknowledge this event. Even then no apology just excuses about "lack of coordination between restaurant and hotel". Needless to say we won't be back to stay at such a guest unfriendly place. Too bad Marshall House - you're not all that!

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aalexan A
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We rolled in to the Marshall House after a long drive. We arrived before check in and we were able to go to our room. This is always a plus when travelling with young, tired and cranky children. We entered our room on the second floor and it looked wonderful. We had two queen beds and they looked and were very comfortable. The ceilings were high, there was a desk and chair and a large armoire with a good sized television. I do not find the size of a television in a hotel room a big deal unless you plan on staying at the hotel the entire trip and we did not. However, I have learned that when travelling with children, a television can be a very important thing.
The common areas in the hotel are lovely. They are decorated with very comfortable furnishings and the floors in the enterance a beautiful.
Everything about the room was great. The beds were amazing! They were very comfortable, cozy and clean. Everyone that worked there was kind and professional and really top notch. The bathroom was very pretty with a large, tiled shower stall. If I had to relay a concern it would be that I didn't like the way the towels in the bathroom smelled. They did not smell dirty but they had an odd smell that I did not like. The only other concern that I could see someone having but it was not a big deal for us was that our room looked out onto a glass enclosed courtyard where breakfast was served. It did not matter to us because we were up and out early and did not return until late, but I could see where someone would find the room too dark.
The location to me was the best one could get in Savannah. We were not on Bay Street which I found to be a plus since it can get very crowded, especially on July 4th weekend. Broughton Street is perfect. There are tons of shopping and dining options on and around Broughton Street. Leopold's, one of the world's best ice cream parlors ever is down the street. The beautiful squares Savannah is known for are steps away and just about everything is walking distance.
We have stayed a few times at The East Bay Inn, one of their sister hotels but that was before we had children. If you are single or not travelling with children either place is great but with young children the Marshall House is perfect.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Tiafunny
Riverside, California
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I think the view was wonderful. The rooms were clean and the building was old, but very neat and managed. I would pick this again for the nice staff and comfortable bed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Archdale, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Our room was nice and comfy, the lobby is beautiful as well as the building itself. The Concierge was super at giving us suggestions tips and assisting with reservations. We even had a night that was a bit complicated by the rain and one of the valet was nice enough to drop us off at our dinner reservation since it was raining and he even came back to pick us up in our own car. That is remarkable service! If you're really good, you might even get a special visit by a little girl that haunts the hotel, so watch your toes at night!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Panama Province, Panama
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Loved my stay at Marshall House. I usually stray towards chains (Marriott, Hilton), but I just knew I wouldn't be happy unless I selected something that represented Savannah. And I am so happy with my selection in this hotel. We arrived at around two pm, we parked in the garage around the back of the hotel (drive past hotel if it is on your right and make an immediate right, and the garage is on the right...very easy...we paid $10 from Friday 2pm until Sunday 6am--weekend rate? Not sure, but it was cheap!), and checked right in. Our room was ready an hour early. I had requested (after much deliberating over the balcony rooms for more or a quiet, inside room) an inside room on the top floor with a king size bed (I had read about the walls and floors being thin). Our room overlooked the atrium, but since it had a glass enclosure, you can't look down onto the courtyard so there wasn't a view from our room at all and the view from the bathroom was of the parking garage. I didn't care. The room was charming! Yes, the floors creak. Yes, the rooms are small, but there is a place for everything (Q-tips and cotton balls, soap, small bottle of shampoo/cond, lotion and mouthwash in bathroom with hair dryer---only 1500 watts--would have liked a little stronger). The tv is modern. There is free internet, but we had to get an ethernet cable from front desk (definitely return or you will be charged). We had a clawfoot tub and shower in bathroom, and yes, it can be difficult to "climb over" that bathtub to step in for shower, but we wouldn't have traded the coziness or the ambience for anything. One flaw was the bed was softer than my husband would have wanted.
Yes, my husband asked about the balcony rooms. For the extra cost of a balcony room, we were happy we had a QUIET room on the top floor (our rate was $160 but by the time all those taxes are added, we paid $198/night). With friends along, then we definitely would book some of those rooms to sit on the balcony and have drinks with, but we were barely in our room. And it was hot! Of course, we go to Savannah in mid-Sept and it is "unusually hot"...mid nineties. Humidity was down, it was sunny all day, so no complaints! But the balcony may have been hot. And you look out onto old shops. Just not sure if it is worth it if they are noisier. I did walk to the other floors to look at the things collected during the renovation and the old photos (my husband passed on this). We didn't dine in 45 Bistro, so I can't comment on the food, but the restaurant and bar area are pretty. We had the continenal breakfast which was good.. It is free, so again no complaints. There was plenty to choose from (quiche, breads/biscuits, pastries, yogurts, cereals, fruit mix and bananas, breakfast bars and so much more. I just would have preferred eggs made and some meats as options, but it took the edge off for the morning rush to see and do everything before lunch!) We drank pink lemonade in the reception area, there are vending machines on the main floor, ice on all floors, and we played checkers. The front desk and concierge were VERY helpful and kind. Checkout was simple (it was 5:45 am!) as was check in.
Location was FANTASTIC! Five minutes to River Street and five minutes to City Market. Leopold's is almost next door (a half a block away?--turn right out of hotel and it is up ahead on left!). We walked to Hominy Grill, River Row and back from Bull Street (where Forsyth Park is). Would always stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple