“Just ok”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

This property is a small hotel being renovated on the edge of the Historic district, two blocks from the river. Our room overlooked a poolside area under construction and a swimming pool filed with dirty water. The room was newly-appointed, however, smells of construction were noted. Service was OK. Location just OK.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ross P, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Brice Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2014
dhm54- First and foremost, I do apologize that it has taken this long to respond to your review. Unfortunately we had a glitch on our end where the review was not waiting in the queue. That being said, I wanted to reach out and apologize that your stay was satisfactory at best. Thank you for the feedback, as we use all reviews and comments as a training tool for ourselves and our staff. I hope that you give us another chance to rectify our mistakes next time you are in Savannah. I apologize again, and please do take care.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I wish there was an extra star to give The Brice. I travel often, mainly for work, and I've had the pleasure of staying at some great hotels. The level of service at the Brice is second to none.

From the moment I pulled up, every person I met could not have done more to make this an amazing experience. Add that to the most incredible location in the heart of historic Savannah and I can't imagine a better combination.

Of course the Brice also has all of the wonderful amenities that you would expect from a Kimpton hotel, but like Jess at the front desk said, they do everything they can to "add spice to the Brice".

I do love Savannah, but my next trip back will be because the Brice makes this city so much more magical.

Room Tip: There's not a bad room but we loved overlooking the courtyard. I would highly recommend it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ross P, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Brice Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
SeanCRM- Thanks for all the awesome words about the Brice! It's always great to read reviews that show how much we truly care for our guests. Jessica said it best- "We like to add a lil spice to the BRICE!" Thanks again, and we look forward to hosting you again in the future!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I was under the impression that this was a new hotel that wasn't completed yet. It's not! It's an old hotel that's been updated. Upon arrival room very hot. Went to use the toilet and water was on seat & lid. Dirty gross toilet. Called front desk for fan and they sent a man to look at ac. Also another person to replace flapper valve. Toilet handle sticks, someone else's hair on floor by toilet. Lacks quality. Locked liquor fridge only and lots of junk food to purchase sitting in the way. How many people /kids have handled this stuff. Only free coffee downstairs in the am as far as i can tell NO other amenities. Won't return here.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank boohooTy
boohooTY - First and foremost, I do apologize that it has taken so long for a response to your review. There was a glitch on my end that caused me to not see your review in our queue. That being said, I do apologize that you found your stay at the Brice less than satisfactory. It is our goal to wow each and every one of our guests, and it is nothing less than disappointing when we do not. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or comments, and I hope that you give us another chance in the future to rectify our mistakes. Take care.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

As a verified Kimpton addict, this is probably the 13th different one I've stayed in, and like all Kimptons it does not disappoint. It was brand new when I went, and still had that "new hotel" smell. I liked that the location was away from the other hotels, but still walking distance to anything you'd want to do in Savannah. There is nothing about the property itself I could say ill.

The service on the other hand, we'll assume it's under construction. The few service issues I had:

-We ordered room service, and when it was brought up, it was the wrong thing. Slightly annoying since we had done room service to save time before our travels, but no big deal. We called the desk, they apologized and sent the correct thing right up. But at checkout, the wrong thing (which was more expensive) still showed up on our bill. My wife pointed it out and they called the kitchen, but only took the difference of one meal off the bill, but didn't adjust the gratuity, service charge, or the other meal. (I've contacted them and they gave me a credit for this, plus a few extra bucks).

-I did the valet parking. Now, you may want to just self park, because the garage is literally across the street. That said, I called 10 minutes ahead of checkout to get my car (which I could see from my hotel room, again it was just across the street), and yet I had to wait a further 10-15 minutes once I was down there to actually get the car. And when the attendant did get my car, he waved me over to the other side of the street instead of pulling it up front.

-The worst though was it was our 10th anniversary, I called ahead to get Champagne in the room, and yet it never came. I also wrote Kimpton about this and they said they had a ticket in for it, but somehow it never happened. Their apologies to do to better in the future don't really get me out of the dog house :).

Sorry for the rant, but to summarize: awesome hotel, but self park, and double check on any service requests until they are up and running 100%.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ry0ohki
ry0ohki- First and foremost, thank you for choosing the Brice to celebrate your anniversary. I do apologize that there was a communication breakdown and the champagne that you had requested was not there upon arrival. In terms of the valet service, I do sincerely apologize that it took so long for your vehicle. We at Kimpton (as you know) strive to be the best, most guest-driven hotel company in the world, and we never like to disappoint. Thank you again for the glowing words about the facility, and please know that we are working tirelessly to improve our service to be up to (and beyond!) Kimpton standards. Take care and please don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions, comments, or concerns.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Friendly, helpful staff, great rooms, great common areas, good location, Kimpton personality, bikes to borrow, not much else to say! The hotel is very new and still has a few minor kinks to work out, but overall it is fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms against Bay Street are a little bit noisy in the morning
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sftwareguy1980- Thank you so much for the kind review! Rest assured that we are still working day and night to make sure those kinks you were referring to are ironed out before the next time you're here.......which hopefully will be very soon!! Take care!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked this hotel through the Kimpton website. As a Kimpton Intouch member it makes booking easy, you receive a $10 credit for the mini bar and free wifi. This was our second visit to Savannah. We were traveling with our dog, and seeing as Kimpton hotels are pet-friendly with no pet fee and their customer service is outstanding, they are always my first choice. The Hotel Brice did not disappoint. It is located on the east end of Bay Street, across from Emmet Park and bordering Washington Square – this makes for easy access to walk the dog. While the location is a bit further from the main part of downtown than other hotels, it is still a pleasant stroll to many restaurants, bars and shopping. Quite honestly, it is nice to be away from the chaos of the market area. Our double queen standard room was on the second floor just around the corner from the elevator and stairwell and overlooking the garden/outdoor lounge in the center of the hotel. It was a very quiet, exceptionally clean room. The lobby and rooms are modern with a classic, southern twist - very bright. The mini bar was well stocked with snacks, sodas, juices, water, beers and an assortment of liquor in pint bottles (not minis as you see in many hotels). Other in-room amenities were: robes, safe, iron and board, hair dryer and yoga mat. There is a large armoire, closet, lounge chair and desk with desk chair. The bathroom was pretty standard – tub/shower combo, CO Bigelow shampoo, soaps and such. The bathroom is small and did not have a fan, which can make for a steamy and slippery situation if the door is closed. Cocktails in the hotel restaurant were quite tasty, as was breakfast. If Savannah wasn’t such a beautiful and historic city, you wouldn’t have any reason to leave the Brice. A special thanks to the valet, Dylan who was a huge help in getting my bicycle off the rack on top of my SUV. Awesome hotel overall. I will stay here when I return to Savannah and would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ross P, Front Office Manager at Kimpton Brice Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
tripl_j- Thanks for the kind words on your review!!! All that you said makes us ecstatic and proud of who we are and what we do in here in Savannah! Feel free to come back any time! Take care!
Pendergrass, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was on a business trip, and decided to take my family along. I usually stay at hotels like Hampton or Holiday Inn Express, but since the family was with me I decided to upgrade. I bid on a four star with Priceline and was awarded the Brice. I figured, well I am going to overpay for a room going four stars, but its the family and its in a good location. Boy did I sum it up wrong. The Brice turned out to be a wonderful experience and well worth it. It is in a terrific location for sight seeing, and is a new lovely hotel, but the thing that makes the Brice a great experience is the people there. There is not a weak spot in the whole line up. They speak to you by name, and welcome you back whenever you leave. You truly feel like you are with family, starting with the personable guys out front in valet to the special treatment that you get at the front desk every time you request something. It would be impossible for everyone to fake this for three days, I believe they all truly enjoy their work. Both of my teenage sons said the highlight of every day was the greeting they got whenever we returned to the hotel, and they made me promise to bring them back to the Brice soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mort B- Thanks for your wonderful review! We love that you mentioned the feeling of family, because that is definitely the feeling we want our guests to leave with. We look forward to hosting you and y(our) family again in the future!! Take care!