“Planter's Inn made my stay memorable.”

Planters Inn on Reynolds Square
Ranked #22 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Eugene, Oregon
“Planter's Inn made my stay memorable.”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The comfort and style of the room, the convenient location on Reynold's Square, and the absolute graciousness of the entire staff, made my stay quite memorable. After a long day of traveling from the west coast, I finally made it to the inn. (Incidentally, they sent a taxi cab to pick me up from the airport). I got to the inn during social hour. While checking in, Sam filled a plate with tasty snacks and provided me with a glass of wine to take to my room to unwind from my travels. The next time I come to Savannah, I will definately stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank tls331

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Patrick checked us in very efficiently and politely, but then I made the mistake of asking where would be a good restaurant (seafood) for us for an early dinner. What followed was a catastrophe in the dining world, especially when we were lead to believe there were so many great places to dine in Savannah. For the three days in Savannah we did not eat one meal that impressed us. In fact it got so bad, we finished our last meal at Subway sandwiches. The only good meal we had was on Tybee Island at the Crab Shack. Excellent seafood, service and setting. If you can get one thing from this review it is to avoid "Tubby Tank House" on River Street. Terrible service, high prices and mediocre food. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Now back to the Planter's Inn who recommended that restaurant when the obvious one was the Pink House restaurant & Bar right next door. We didn't go, I was too busy spending time and money at Tubby's typhoid house on River Street.
Bed and linens at Planter's Inn average. Bed was Queen (a very small queen) and bounced up and down if you sneezed. Bathroom did not fit two people. Great shower head and that gets two thumbs up. Wine hour 5:30-7:30 pm very worthwhile. We got the room with the balcony. We wished we had not done that. Its a shared balcony with absolutely no privacy from your next door neighbor and creepy to think someone next door could be peaking into your window at anytime. In July you don't want to be outside anyway. Cost more for that balcony too than regular room rate. Breakfast a big disappointment. Food not all that good. Fruit runs out unless you are early. Coffee does too. Too few table for guests to sit at and so there always "jockeying" for a space to eat. Taking food back to room difficult as there are no trays to carry your food items. Paper(s) each morning very nice. Bell staff/valet service was great. Concierge on duty only during Wine hour and she very busy conducting that event so not much time to take care of your demands. I felt the hotel was short staffed probably since 2008 recession and not back to full staff yet. Seemed staff wore several hats in their daily duties. Location of this hotel cannot be beat. Sits on a pleasing Square, one of 22 in this historic city. Savannah was like Disneyland for us. Historic district all geared towards tourists I wondered if anyone lived and worked here outside of the tourism industry. Our next trip here we will stay at a B&B on one the squares and maybe we'll have better luck with the local cuisine. We just made bad choices, but it shows you its easy to make bad choices when it comes to restaurants in this city. Leopold's Ice Cream was fantastic and do not miss. Take time to read all the interesting items on the walls. The line moves quickly. Savannah Tours I believe is the best tour to take around town. They add little skits by in costumed characters which we thought was worth the little bit extra on the admission ticket. They are the all white tour buses. Savannah Bee Company (several locations) great store for honey, soaps and lotions. Ghost tour was fun. Pirate House be sure to explore. Sit down by the river and watch the big container ships pass also pleasing and the "open container" liquor policy of which only Las Vegas can boast means there is always a spirit nearby to add to your viewing pleasure. Bring your walking shoes cause Savannah is a fantastic city to see on foot.

Room Tip: Street parking or valet only choices. Parking garage where valet parks your car/truck has height res...
7 Thank Studio69
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2012

It was a last minute idea. We found a great offer on travel zoo and left that afternoon. Upon arriving, the Planters Inn was in full "wine & cheese" mode with very animated smiling patrons. We quickly checked in - Patrick was welcoming, efficient and we were set up in no time. A few mins later we joined the party. Later on, after returning from dinner, we were greated with warmed baked cookies - nice touch! The bed and amenities were perfect. The room clean, peaceful, furnished with period pieces and the bathroom very functional. The valet parking was very efficient, check out painless and everyone there was smiling (a sign that employees are happy) and helpful. More plus value surprised us when the Planters advised we could leave our car with them for the day, though he had now checked out - meaning you can go walk Savannah and not worry about your car. What a thoughtful idea. We will be back - THANK YOU PLANTERS/SAVANNAH

1 Thank TTTABEST
Kissimmee, FL
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I booked a traditional twin room for my Mother and I. When we arrived, the bell staff was immediately available to unload luggage and park the car. The room was nicely appointed and there was plenty of room in the bathroom. I loved the large bottle of water they gave at check-in. There was a wine and cheese hour in the evening with live piano music - lovely! A conceige was available to give dinner suggestions and made reservations. A newspaper was outside our door the next morning and a generous continental breakfast was available. The room rate was extremely affordable and the location excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kisskowgirl
Waitsfield, Vermont
Reviewed 27 July 2012

An excellent experience from start to finish. From the valet to the front desk, even the cleaning staff were outgoing, pleasant and helpful. The location is great. The room was comfortable and affordable. The recommended restaurant (Pink House) was excellent. I would encourage anyone visiting Savannah to stay at the Planter's.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Brian L
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at Planters Inn for 3 nights. Had a wonderful time. Excellent staff, especially Marie at breakfast and the two Patrick's. We also looked forward to and enjoyed the afternoon wine and cheese get togethers. The concierge and staff were very helpful with restaurant reservations, tour and transportation pick-ups. We really appreciated all the help and cooperation we received. The rooms are nicely appointed and clean. The only draw back is looking out on a multi-level parking structure. Otherwise, Savannah is beautiful and fun.

Room Tip: Specifically request a room not facing the public garage.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed at the Planters Inn on Reynolds Square for four nights in July. The hotel has a good location, a few blocks from the Savannah river front and a block from Broughton Street, the main shopping street in the historic district, and perfect for walking around the squares of the historic district. Reynolds Square (like most squares in Savannah) is very quiet and pleasant.

My room was average for a hotel room, but there was sufficient space and storage. The bed was very comfortable. Coffee and green tea was provided. Wifi worked fine for me, sufficient for Skype calls and video. The bathroom was on the small side but not uncomfortably so. Toiletries were very nice. The view from the room wasn't - looking at the multi-storey parking garage immediately across the street (and I expect this is the same view for the majority of rooms) - but it didn't bother me and I had expected it from reviews. I had a few issues with the TV - the remote provided controlled the cable feed but there was no remote for the TV itself, so couldn't change volume or switch the TV on and off without using the buttons on the set itself. There also appeared to be some issue with a mismatch between the sound and images, but I am not sure if that was a cable issue. I didn't use the TV enough for it to be a problem. The only other issue was that the safe in my room didn't appear to work. (Neither the TV or safe problems bothered me enough to make me raise them with the hotel.)

The hotel provides a continental style breakfast in the mornings. The quality was good, with a nice selection of pastries and bread, fruit, yoghurts, teas and coffees and so on. The room the breakfast is served was on the small side, but I never had a problem finding a room. The room service is provided by the Old Pink House across the street. I didn't order because the delivery/service charge from room service was the worst i have ever seen, but the food on offer looked to be good quality at a mid-to-high range sort of price.

Staff were universally helpful and friendly. The hotel offers complimentary wine in the lobby in the evenings but I never attended.

All in a pleasant stay in a hotel with a lot of character and in a great location. I would stay at the Planters Inn again.

As an extra tip, Henry's diner at the back of the hotel is a great place for cheap, wholesome lunches with great service.

Room Tip: If you don't want to overlook the parking garage go for one of the few room swith a view of the...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo