“Fabulous Location, Great Hotel”
Review of Planters Inn

Planters Inn
Ranked #19 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 27 January 2009

This was my fifth trip to Savannah-- have stayed at the Westin on Hutchinson Island twice, also the Eliza Thompson House and The Gastonian. All were great places to stay, but the location of the Planters Inn on Reynolds Square puts you right in the heart of the Historical District. Almost everything is within walking distance. I was traveling with an 89-year-old friend who has been everywhere (I'm just 53 -- she makes me feel young :)) and she loved it, too. Staff was extremely friendly, room was comfortable (2 queen beds) and bigger than I expected. The only disappointment was the concierge -- a little gruff and full of herself. But I digress... Really, I would go there first! Highly recommended.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank WindsorJane53
Write a ReviewReviews (2,859)

Reviewed 22 January 2009

My wife and I spent two very pleasant nights at the Planters Inn recently. You really cannot beat the location! We never needed our car until it was time to leave.

As for the Inn, I would classify it as a boutique hotel. It is small, but has all the amenities of one of the larger chains, with much more charm. The service at the front desk was first rate, and the bell/valet were always of service. The continental breakfast had quite a few choices, and was what one would expect.

Our room was roomy and comfortable, and the bathroom was modern and well equipped.

My only complaint is that while the hotel advertises Wi-Fi, the signal was not strong enough to reach the 6th floor.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Farragut1980
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Planters Inn to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. We had stayed a similar hotel owned by the same company in Charleston (Harbourview) and had anticipated much of the same. I had done some extensive research on several travel sites to make sure this was a hotel that would fit our needs/ likes. However, we were disappointed by Planters and Savannah as well.

The Planters Inn is an older building (was expected) that shows some signs of recent renovations. However, the renovations do not seem complete. It is almost like wearing an Armani suit with Payless shoes. For example, the bathroom was newly tiled but had poor lighting and a drooping and deteriorating ceiling. In addition, the room looked like it had been painted in the last couple years but the vents on the ceiling were dirtier, blacker, and dilapidated. Furthermore, the room’s air conditioning must have been from the turn of the century since turning it on high simply just moved around some stale air. Finally, the fireplace (which we had been looking forward to) was about as robust as a couple candles. This may be due to the fact that they limited the gas flow for safety reasons but disappointing nonetheless. Also you had to call the front desk every time you wanted someone to light it.

For all the talk about service on the website and advertisements, we found the service to be average. No one was blatantly rude but no one seemed overly peppy, happy, or excited for our stay. The concierge did deliver a bottle of wine to our room for our anniversary which was a nice touch. However, the wine and cheese reception was a bit akward. The seating was not conducive to talking to anyone in your party and it was quiet enough that if you talked at a normal level, everyone would be able to hear your conversation. This was pretty much the same with the breakfast. The food was what you would expect for a continental breakfast but took place in a small, windowless room that was even quieter than the lobby.

All in all there was nothing “wrong” with the Planter’s Inn. It just was not as great as we anticipated (or the website pictures seem to display). Compared to other similar type getaways, this one basically fell flat.

Savannah itself was disappointing as well. We had pictured a smaller scale Charleston but encountered a city with far less charm and even less in the way of things to do. The restaurants, shops, and sights do not offer anything spectacular. There are some historic homes but they are certainly not as picturesque or as well kept as Charleston. The carriage tour that we took offered as much inside information as a couple minutes on Wikipedia. Savannah’s only claims to fame are the park bench in Forest Gump and the overhyped Paula Deen. Jazz’d Tapas Bar was one of the few bright spots of the trip.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tubbyl0ve
Reviewed 13 January 2009

My review of the Planters Inn is very mixed. Therefore, I am going to through each item separately.

Booking
Overall, it was pretty smooth sailing. We booked two rooms for three nights, Jan 1-4. We received a great rate that averaged to $99/night. At one point I did call the hotel to confirm our reservation as the confirmation did not note the two rooms – just the room type and rate. I had called the hotel for over an hour and no one ever answered. I finally sent an email to Marc, who replied saying it was “very strange” no one answered, but never any sort of apology or accountability. I found this to be a common theme with the front desk and management....

Check-in
We arrived at the hotel around 5:00pm and checked in to our rooms. Upon check-in I asked what the options were for parking. Front desk stated “Don’t worry about it; we will take care of it! We have valet!” I thought that was great. Of course no mention was ever made about the cost of this service. Just repeatedly saying “we will take care of it”. Needless to say I was surprised at the $14/day charge on our bill (see front desk section). Don’t get me wrong, I am not unrealistic about paying for parking, but I was floored at the rate. Really, we could have parked in the street for nothing.

Wine/Cheese Reception & Concierge
On our fist night, after settling in to our room, we headed down to the wine/cheese reception. Karen, the concierge, came over to us shortly after realizing this was our first night. She made some suggestions for dinner that evening, etc. Then she made a recommendation for a tour the following day. We were a little undecided as we were planning to get in line at Lady & Sons and did not know what time we might get a seating. Therefore, we didn’t want to commit to a tour we could not make full use of, since we didn't know what time we might be able to get in to Lady & Sons for lunch or dinner. So, my sister asked Karen if we could book the tour in the morning because we were not entirely sure of our plan for the day. Karen replied, clearly appalled at our request, stating “well, you can, but I won’t be here!” Those were the last words she spoke to us the rest of our three days at the Planter’s Inn.
Anytime we walked through the lobby (which is quite small), Karen would look right past us and completly ignore our presence. Never was there a “good evening; how is your stay; did you enjoy dinner? etc.” Once she learned we were not going to book the tour with her that evening, she was done with us. On the last night we were at the reception again and she only spoke to us in reply to our hello to her and request for a glass of wine. Talk about unprofessional… who acts like that!? Let it be known that the wine/cheese reception is really not for the guests. It is for Karen to sell her services. That became very evident while watching her interactions with other guests.

Room
Overall the rooms were lovely. Our only complaint is the inability to really control the temperature. We were sweltering the first night and freezing the second night. It seems the thermostat is either very warm, or very cold. It was a challenge to find a happy medium. My mom also commented that the street and parking lot noise bothered her, but my sister and I did not have any issue with it.

Breakfast
Morning breakfast consisted of the following: cereal, asstd. pastries and breads, milk, bitter orange juice, grits, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and fresh fruit (apples, bananas, grapes). Overall I thought it was good enough.
In spite of what they tell you, there is no meat – sausage, bacon, etc. There was also no peanut butter. Not that it was stated, but we just sort of expected it. I mean, this is Georgia after all… no peanut butter?
The mezzanine where the breakfast is held is very small, and very warm. We were unable to eat there on the last day because it was literally 85 degrees in the room. We heard other guests complaining to front desk as well – unfortunately the staff didn’t seem to care.

Bellmen
We have mixed reviews on the Bellmen. Tom was a complete delight. There is another gentleman whose name I never caught (tall, black man with glasses) but he really helped make the trip more enjoyable. There is also a bellman who took to playing the piano when we were sitting in the lobby. He was great and we really enjoyed it. That said, more than once we were returning to the hotel and fighting to get the door open. Immediately upon walking inside were two bellmen that were too busy talking to one another to assist in holding the door open.

Location
I think the location is fantastic and the best thing the hotel has going for it. We were very happy with where we were. The Olde Pink House is next door, Lady & Sons is about 2 blocks away, the City Marketplace is just past Lady & Sons and the Riverwalk was just two blocks as well. There are also a large number of cafes and shops very close.

Front Desk & Management
A few days before our arrival in Savannah I received an email from Marc Friday welcoming us to the hotel, looking forward to our arrival, etc. In that email it was also asked if were celebrating a special occasion, because they “want to celebrate with us.” I happily replied saying that we were in Savannah to celebrate my mother’s 65th bday on Saturday. There was no response. On Saturday morning my sister mentioned again about the reason for our visit and the front desk said they would “send something up”. Not surprising, nothing ever happened. Upon check-out on Sunday, I brought up the parking issue, as well as the “celebration” email. I said I don’t understand why they bother to ask if there is no intention of doing anything. She said there was also no note made on our room about her birthday. So it was ignored by the front desk, and the GM?! Nice. The person checking us out said she would make a note in our account and not close it out because she wanted Marc to address it when he got in the following day. Today, more than a week later, there has been no contact from anyone at the hotel. Not that I am surprised in the lack of response, but it is just clear there is no follow through or accountability by anyone in management. So, if you have an issue, do not expect it to be addressed.

All in all I would recommend the hotel because of the incredible rate, fair accommodations and great location. If someone were booking under the hotel's regular rates, then I would suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank kelleek
Reviewed 5 November 2008

The hotel looks great, is in a nice location, price is reasonable. Room was on the small side but well put together. No complaints there.

BUT, we had a terrible front desk experience. Here's what happened.

We wanted a room with a fireplace, and specifically chose the Planters Inn for that. I booked directly through their website, a month in advance, and had a confirmation of the room with the fireplace in email. In fact I paid extra for it.

We arrived at 5pm to check in, and that seemed to go totally smoothly. So we get to our room, and no fireplace! We go back to the front desk and are told that the rooms with fireplaces are all booked.

But wait a second--I booked and paid for it well ahead of time, and got a confirmation of my booking. Plus I was charged the rate for such a room.

If there was an overbooking problem, why wasn't I informed of it before I arrived at the hotel?

If there was an overbooking problem, why didn't they say anything AT THE FRONT DESK before showing me to a less expensive room than what I actually paid for?

This is the first time I've experienced this, booking a room of one level and getting given one of a lower level, with nothing said. What's up with that?

In the end they did give us a discount on the room that we got, which helped. But it was jarring--wasn't at all ready for something like this to happen--supposed to be a vacation.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank murakami5
TGIF29, General Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2008

Due to the fact that out Inn has only 3 rooms that have fireplaces, we did overbook this guest for 1 night of her 3 night stay. This was an inconvenience and certainly a disappointment for the first night. We were, however, able to move the guest on her 2nd and 3rd night to an upgraded Penthouse Suite WITH a fireplace and a good discount off her stay for the problems.

This is really not a front desk problem, as they can only rent what is available at the time. Management has to take responsibility for this !

Reviewed 2 November 2008

I can't say enough good things about this inn! From check in to check out our stay was absolutely wonderful. My sister & I stayed 5 nights. We arrived 3 hours prior to check in & the lovely lady at the front desk allowed us to check in, had our baggage stored & told us she'd have a room ready for us in less than an hour. It was a beautiful day so we went exploring Savannah right away! Returned 2 hours later & were given keys to our room on 5th floor. We were pleasantly surprised to find an adorable room, appointed with 2 twin beds, modern bathroom, robes, chocolates on the pillows, an armoire w/tv, closet, coffeemaker, & table w/2 chairs. The only negative was that our view was of a parking garage but who cares?!?! We weren't visiting Savannah to sit in our hotel & look out the windows. The bellhop Kevin was sooooooo friendly (and cute!) and did a great job of recommending some local "night spots". Every night in the parlor there is a wine & cheese reception for the guests - very nice! They even have a lady playing piano. The concierge Karen was so enjoyable. My sister & I had a great time chatting with her! She was so kind and accomodating. In fact, after finding out it was my birthday, she sent a bottle of champagne to our room! Thanks sweetie! The location of this Inn is perfect. We were within walking distance to EVERYTHING - River st, Bay st, City market, Broughton st, Congress St, and it sits right next to the Olde Pink House (YUM! read my review) and on Renoylds Square which is beautiful. Oh, and the Inn is supposedly haunted! Which I think my sister & I had an encounter with the dear lady that haunts the place on our 2nd night there! What an experience! They have turndown service every night. They had a very nice continental breakfast - muffins, bagels, cereal, grits, waffles, toast, danishes, etc. All in all I can't say one bad thing about this inn! It was a perfect stay - the staff is top notch. I can't wait to go back!! THANK YOU PLANTERS INN :)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank stephkay

Thank you for very complimentary remarks. We are glad that we were able to make your stay a memorable one. We are glad you enjoyed the wine & cheese reception with the piano player- it's a big hit for all.

Reviewed 28 October 2008

Loved this little hotel! When we first arrived, we were given a room right by the elevator. We asked for another room and were given a great room, down the hall and around the corner from the elevator. I loved our room! The hotel was clean, the staff was great and the wine and cheese events were a great way to meet people. The concierge was happy to provide information and book tours for us. The hotel changed our reservations at 'The Pink House' three times - once because they told us the wrong time and we arrived too late, the second and third times time because we chose to eat too much at lunch :-). Each time our request was accomodated and completed with a smile. Loved the fact that we were within walking distance to river walk. Breakfast was decent. Our only CONS were that there were no vending machines. We both start our day with a diet soda instead of coffee and it would have been nice to pick one up before retiring at night, to enable us to place it in the ice bucket for the next morning - as per our usual when we travel. the front desk was also happy to accomodate our request for a can or two of soda, although it was warm, All in all it was a great hotel and we'll definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple