“Very nice stay”

Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
East Liverpool, Ohio
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The Hotel was located in center of historic Savannah. The hotel was nice, valet parking for under $20 a day with access as needed. The hotel room was clean, clean towels everyday. The staff was very helpful. Would stay there again!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Lisa S - thanks for staying with us and for a nice review. We are glad you enjoyed yourself and look forward to many returns!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel is located within walking distance of most of the sites in the historic district and you can easily walk to River City and City Market. The first day we took the Old Town Trolley tour (which I highly recommend) and from then on we just walked to the different places that we wanted to explore more.

Our room was nice and had an incredible view of the Cathedral of St John the Baptist church. I'm a Hilton diamond member and the bar gave us each a free drink every night. Surprisingly you are allowed to walk around the historic district with an alcohol drink as long as it's not in a glass container. The bar provided us with Dixie (to-go) cups every night. We also enjoyed a free breakfast buffet every morning which had eggs cooked to order and most other traditional breakfast foods. The staff was very nice and knowledgeable. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
MarleneinSD - Thanks for staying with us and for the great feedback! Savannah is a great town with lots of fun benefits! Come see us again soon.
Atlanta
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Yes, it's an older building (this is Savannah, after all), but we had no problem with cleanliness, mold, or the general condition of the building (as others have stated). Someone had mentioned low water pressure, but we had high pressure. We'd leave the handle halfway between 'shower' and 'tub' so the shower spray didn't hurt. After a shower, the tub would be half filled as it didn't drain fast enough. Most Savannah hotels have pay parking, the Desoto has mandatory valet. It's a personal thing, but I don't like valet parking, I'd rather park it myself in their garage. There is no free breakfast option, even the continental breakfast has an additional charge. We had the full buffet one day. Most of the food was very good, but the eggs were horrible. You can also order off the menu as part of the buffet, so I ordered strawberry pancakes. They brought the wrong pancakes, but it took so long I didn't want to wait for them to bring new ones. I was also disappointed there was no in-room fridge. The pool was closed for repairs, which really disappointed me; it was an unscheduled repair, so it was not announced when I booked the room. They were offering free pool access at a sister hotel in Savannah. At least they did offer free in-room wifi. This hotel is further away from Riverfront than most other hotels. It's still walkable, but not a quick walk. On the upside, the area is much quieter if you want to relax after a busy day. There is a good pub/tavern, cafe, and breakfast/lunch restaurant very near by.

My review has plenty of nit picks, but it's certainly not a bad hotel; I just don't think it lived up to it's price/rating.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Rich004 - Thannks for the feedback, i will certainly look into the f&B challenges. We do offer many packages that include breakfast or even complimentary valet with drink tickets when you arrive, you can find these options online or by asking reservations. We offer all kinds of deals and discounts throughout the year, keep your eye out, the pool is now open and the Tiki bar is to follow! Thanks for the feedback and come back and see us!
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We never actually stayed at this hotel so this review is based on management, not the hotel itself. We booked on hotwire, but found out there is smoking in hotel. Because of medical problems, I cannot stay anywhere near smoking. Being a former hotel employee with another chain, I knew this should not be as issue to cancel even with the strict hotwire quidelines. So within minutes of getting this hotels confirmation, I contacted Hotwire to explain the situation. They referred me directly to hotel where the hotel's assistant manager said he needed proof of my medical condition to cancel my reservation with a full refund. He required me to provide him with written forms stating my medical issues from my doctor. So I spent $25 to get the medical forms from my doctor which proved my condition and they did refund eventually refund my money. I even got Hilton Hotel Corp involved and they said it was up to the individual hotels to make their own policy. Unbelievable. I now go out of my way NOT to stay at ANY Hilton property.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank keldnol
Keldnol - The reality is you booked a non refundable reservation through Hotwire, hardly the hotels fault. I also am allergic to smoke however there are only 3 rooms in this entire 246 room property and we could put you somewhere where you never smell it. I walk the property consistently and we also have smoke machines in the rooms that eliminate this altogehter, i never smell smoke and these rooms are all on one floor. You have a better chance of walking through cigarette smoke in Savannah while touring then if you stayed at this hotel. The policy you are really objecting to is the Hotwire non-refundable which is not Hilton so my recommendation is book through the source and not a 3rd party where we offer a cancellation up to 24 hours out.
Ohio
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This place has a nice foyer that doesn't extend up to the rooms. The rooms aren't bad, but they aren't anything special either. No touches like mini-fridge or microwave. Nothing is complimentary--no simple breakfast or snacks, or drinks....heck, not even a water fountain in the whole building. The water thing was a real annoyance. And of course the required $18 a day parking seems a bit like extortion, but they do allow unlimited ins and outs.

We were right by the elevator so we got a lot of "DING" and loud talking during the night. Overall I felt pretty anonymous staying here. No one noticed us coming or going unless we needed the valet. The location is great, though, in walking distance of anything in the historic district. The balconies offer a nice view of the district.

It did suck that upon arrival, we found a note in our room telling us the pool was closed for renovation. Thanks a lot, that would have affected our decision to stay there, had we known.

Given the price versus the lack of utility, I don't know that we'd stay there again. What it does have is location. It seems like a place better suited to business travelers than families.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
K D - Sorry about the pool, due to some challenges it took a little longer. Valet parking charges are relative to the other full service hotels in the city. We do offer refrigerators which reside mostly in our Corner king upgrade rooms. We offer many packages that you can take advantage of which include breakfast or drinks and so on. Also if you become a HHonors member once you reach Diamond or Gold status you receive free breakfast, internet and upgrades automatically. the things you seem to be requesting reside more in our suite product like a Doubletree or even a Hampton Inn if you are seeking free breakfast. The Hilton family offers different amenities in different brand so we have a fit for you it just may not be a full service Hilton where things are more ala carte. Thanks for staying with us.
Zushi, Kanagawa Japan
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This is our second trip to this hotel and we will always seek to stay here on all future trips to Savannah. It is located in the heart of the city away from alot of the tourist traps, but certainly close enough to walk anywhere you need. This well appointed hotel provides every service you could ask for during a vacation including a tour desk and luggage storage. As of the 4th of April, the pool was still closed but there was alot of work going on there. Dont miss brunch at CJ's just a short walk from the hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smraley
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
SMRaley - Thanks for the great feedback and for coming back to see us again and again! I will have the pool area and deck open April 11, 2012, I know you will love the pool and deck improvements, have a great week and safe travels.
Huntsville
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This Hotel may need some refreshing when it comes to latest colors and decorations (in the rooms) but it is a very clean Hotel. It has large flat screen TVs and wireless internet had a good speed even with a packed hotel. Beds and comforters are modern and comfortable.
Lobby is clean, well presented and tastefully decorated.

The Staff was great all the way from the Valet Parking attendants to the front desk Staff- Joshua @ the front desk was of great assistance as were the rest of the other front desk Staff.

The breakfast area was well attended and stocked in the morning.

Everyone was always eager to assist and well informed on the tourist attractions in the area. Whether for dinning or shopping they tried to accomodate in their recommendations when asked.

Location-Location-Location. Desotohis place has it. In the heart of it all. A few blocks from everywhere and in a quiet cozy location with easy access in and out of the town.

Will definitely come back again, and Again.

Room Tip: Any room there will give you a great view of the city or city+River.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
I N - We are happy you had a great stay and we thank you for the awesome feedback! We agree with you the location is fabulous and really puts you in the heart of Savannah, come back and see us soon!