We'd used TA to research Savannah hotels within our price range and chose the Desoto having read reviews. It's a big hotel and, in such a historic town, far from the prettiest (photos of the original are hung in the lobby; it looked a far more attractive building), but it was perfectly located and delivered well against almost all expectations - especially in guests services from the front desk, the concierge and the bar (even if the bar person seemed to us she could have done with an extra pair of hands to help).
Our room on level 3 was large with a balcony (not all rooms have them) and a pool view - but not much else to look at. No fridge but everything else was in place and well maintained.
Clearly, however, hotel rooms are designed by men; so may hotels, this one included, fail to provide a mirror above the desk. My wife can't be alone in wanting to do her hair and make-up sitting down; short of taking a chair into the bathroom (where the basin counter has insufficient space for all the cosmetic stuff anyway) the morning ritual is something of a palaver. Designers please note.
Grumble over and there was little else to criticise. Breakfast was good with a very wide selection from the buffet - although the same dining room was too bright for our liking for dinner. We ate one evening in the bar where the Desoto's 'Liberty burger' was fantastic and very good value. Unlike some other reviewers I didn't think the valet parking was expensive.
All in all I can recommend the hotel. Big enough for you to feel anonymous (if you wish), but cares enough for you to feel right at home.The tour tram stops just round the corner, the Segway station is a five minute walk away, likewise the beautiful squares and architecture that makes Savannah a 'must see'.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Historic District. When you stay at the Hilton Savannah Desoto, you're within walking distance of so many famous attractions including Riverfront Plaza, River Street and City Market. You'll love the view over beautiful Madison Square from our rooftop pool and patio. Dine in the DeSoto Grille, serving southern cuisine with an inventive flair. Our meeting and event space features panoramic views of the city, perfect for any meeting or wedding reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Savannah Desoto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Savannah Desoto Hotel Savannah
- Hilton Hotel Savannah Desoto
- Hilton Desoto Savannah
- Savannah Hilton