“Don't Stay Here!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Buckhannon, West Virginia
“Don't Stay Here!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked this hotel through Hotwire as a 4 Star Hotel. Upon arrival the lobby...4 stars...the rooms -sub standard. We went through 3...yes 3 attempting to find a bed without hairs. Finally after receiving #3 that still had hairs they sent Will the evening housekeeping manager to change the linens. The only "good" thing I can say is Ebony at the front desk, Will the evening house keeping manager and Ms. Paulette who makes omelete's in the restaurant were the only "exceptional" points about this hotel. The rooms are NOT up to standard for the Hilton brand. The bed's are horrible...the rooms are not well kept, the furniture not up to par...and the cleanliness...worst I have ever seen!!!!! With all the options in Savannah...do NOT make this a stopping point.

Room Tip: Any other option from another chain would be better than this one!
3 Thank Deanfam4
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Deanfam4 - Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with your housekeeping experience at our property. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest room experience. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences and we hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I'm a Hilton diamond member and have stayed at many Hilton's. This is the first Hilton that I've stayed at with no fridge and/or microwave along with no executive lounge. Also can you believe valet parking is $20 a night! I've paid less for valet in Ft. Lauderdale and San Fran! The "fitness center" is pitiful with only 2 treadmills, one step master and a very meek dumbbell set. You are better off booking at the Double Tree or Hilton Garden Inn on West Bay Street to get a much better bang for your buck. I never thought I would recommend a Doubletree or Garden Inn chain over a Hilton but in this case it's hands down a better choice. Heck you would even be better off at the Hampton Inn on MLK blvd.

Final conclusion: stay here if you're a loyal Hilton member and all the other hotels I just recommended are booked. At least you're getting the points.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ShooterMcgavin88 - Thanks for the feedback. Many Hilton hotels have eliminated the Exec lounge and the fitness rooms in the limited service properties are not extensive either. We offer a full buffet breakfast to Diamond members that far exceeds anything you could get in the exec lounge for breakfast or at the properties you specified. Certainly if your looking for limited service those are great choices as well, we are truly located in the historic district and not on the "party" River Street corridor so certainly it depends on what you are looking for, I'm sorry we were not what you were seeking in general. We do offer fridges and microwaves in our corner kings but as we may have been sold out when you were here they may have not been avaialble, we appreciate your HHonors loyalty and hope to see you again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Very convenient and within easy walking distance of all of historic Savannah. Excellent service and concierge. Very good in-room breakfast. Great view. Very good bellman service at check-in and check-out.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Charlesp 969 - Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. Great to see you enjoyed the location and the staff, we sure look forward to seeing you again in the future if coming to Savannah!
Morehead City, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

stayed at this hotel for a work meeting held in the conference facilities -- great location & hotel amenities, great conference facilities, helpful and friendly staff. only area of dissatisfaction was hallway noise from my room being right next to the elevator.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Michelle D -Thanks for the great feedback on the hotel and the staff, sorry about the elevator noise, if requested at check in we will try to get you as far away as possible! Thanks for staying with us and come see us again!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Taking a road trip from Boston to the Florida keys, I figured it would be cool to stop in Savannah Georgia as a good midpoint.  So being a loyal Hilton patron, I called the Desoto to see if I could get a room for the night with early check in (after being on the road for 15+ hours I really wanted to shower, rest and do some exploring of old Savannah). The woman I spoke to at reception assured me that my room would be waiting for me when I arrived at 12pm. It sounded great to me and I couldn't wait to arrive. Thinking that I was so nice to have it taken care of so simply.

When I got to the Desoto (at 12) I was told that my room wasn't ready and that I would have to wait about 45 minutes or so, so I did. I sat down in the chairs in front of reception (I was too tired to hit the town).

After an hour passed, I was told that it would be "just 15 more minutes" by a woman who I think was the housekeeping supervisor. After I waited 20-25 mins (again I was sitting about 4 feet in front of reception and no one said anything to me about the room), I asked Joshua at the front desk about the status, and out of nowhere he gave me attitude (complete with rolling eyes... yes he actually rolled his eyes at me).  He also refused to even call to check on the room. Seriously. He wouldn't even go through the motion of checking on it. He said "the housekeeping manager will call when it's ready and then I'll let you know" and then he proceeded to ignore me as I stood there. Apparently he was done talking to me....
I know I was tired and probably looked it, but I didn't look or act like some crazy person ... I was actually very polite and courteous despite being annoyed, so I don't know why was he acting like I was interfering with his day (I thought he was there for customer service?!).

Candidly, it took a few minutes for me to realize that I had been dismissed because I couldn't believe someone could be so unnecessarily rude (to a paying customer no less at $200/night, btw).

It took me complaining to the manager to actually get a room (2.5hours after it should have been available), and suddenly there was a slight attitude change from "my new buddy" Joshua (though it was apparent that he was pained to have to deal with me).

Honestly, I have to say that the experience was really crappy (and totally unnecessary).

The room itself was dirty, didn't have enough towels and I couldn't wait to check out.

I really wouldn't recommend this place or Joshua...

Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Mark R
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Mark_bostonian - I appreciate your feedback and we are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. Here at our hotel, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and in this case it looks like we failed to get the job done. Your feedback will help us to target and ensure a resolution in several areas. We're addressing your concerns about the check-in delays and the rude service and invite you to contact me directly with any additional comments. Thank you again for your feedback and give me a call directly if you'd like to consider staying with us again, i'd love to have you back if ever passing through our area.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I recently returned from a 3-day conference. I ended up staying 5 nights due to weather delays. The staff every where were GREAT!, friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel can't be beat! I was amazed at the items the gift shop in the hotel had (Especially Savannah). I hadn't counted on spending extra time in town and found nearly everything I needed, plus some, in the shop. I never ate in the restaurant but ate the bar; so convenient with good food and service. My first 3 nights were spent in a room on the 6th floor with a city view, king bed and a large walk-in shower instead of a tub. True, the hotel is not brand new, but overall it's in very good shape. I had an electrical outlet that wasn't working, that was promptly repaired shortly after I reported it. My mattress was a little softer than I prefer at home but it didn't keep me up or make me unreasonably uncomfortable; I just propped pillows behind my back. I rarely sleep well when traveling so noise and light are a real issue with me - there were no problems with my room. I had already checked out of the hotel when I was notified by the airline that my flight had been canceled. The front desk was great about finding me another room and letting me check in right away. I was more than happy to go back to my previous room but I was instead put in a room on the 12th floor, exactly like the one I was in, except the view was in a different direction. This room seemed a touch nicer (recently renovated) the mattress was a little firmer and the housekeeping staff on this floor just did things a little differently - like how the pillows were stacked on my bed and bottled water in my room. These little things mean a lot and I appreciated them very much. The front desk was also very helpful in calling ahead for a cab for me, to be ready to take me to the airport at 4:15am. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend and would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
stephenralston, Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for the positive comments and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. While we understand that our hotel is not brand new but we really focus on excellent customer service. I hope you choose to stay with us if your travels bring you back to Savannah.
Savanna, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

The hotel was a great place to stay while in Savanna, GA. The staff was nice and the room was clean and the bed was wonderful. The hotel was right in the middle of everything so you cant pick a better place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We appreciate the great feedback and I'm glad to see you really enjoyed the staff! we hope to see you in the future as well. Thanks for staying with us!