“First Time to Savannah”

Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Boston, Massachusetts
“First Time to Savannah”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in June in a corner king with girlfriends. We were all first timers to Savannah. We were able to check in early at 12pm. Hotel lobby is beautiful. Room was clean. Had a great view of Catholic Church. We were able to use the pool during our time in Savannah - small but plenty of seating and a Tiki Bar in Fri and Saturday. Had lunch poolside, burger was decent.

Location is great. Right on corner of Liberty and Bull Street. You can take Bull Street down to River Street. Also, only a few blocks from Forsyth Park.

Drinks at hotel bar were not as expensive as I thought they would be. Starbucks in the hotel was an easy place to grab a coffee.

Overall would recommend this hotel to other travelers. Worked well for us and was reasonably priced.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
kdevlin2005 - We appreciate your feedback and were happy to see you enjoyed your stay and the location. Thank you for staying with us and come see us again when coming to Savannah.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a business visit to Savannah. First off the room was extremely in need of a makeover. I convinced myself that it was to be expected since it was an older hotel. With that in mind, everything was fine until I woke up in the middle of the night to find a crawling roach. It totally threw my sleep off as I had to stay up until I killed it and I wasn't so sure that there would be no others. Bugs in a hotel room are totally unacceptable and I will not be staying at this hotel ever again. The only upside to this was it happened on my last night there.
On another note, I must give recognition where it is due. The staff was extremely kind and helpful, which was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Devonne77
Devonne77 - I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. Certainly with windows and patio doors that open occasionally insects find there way into the building with the strictest of pest procedures in place. I want to assure you that we take your feedback seriously and have followed our internal procedures as well we have involved our pest elimination company to ensure that yours was the only room affected. I promise you the situation has been corrected. We sure hope you give us another opportunity when coming to Savannah.
sheffield
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This a great hotel with good staff being let down by an aggressive subcontracted parking company. The hotel is positioned right in the centre of the old town with walking distance to all sight seeing. The valet parking at $20 dollars per night is a poor choice considering free on street parking within 1 block away is available (keep an eye on the street sweeping days). Parking meters are only used Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm. Reasonable parking rates would make this hotel really shine.

Room Tip: Some rooms have small balcony overlooking the pool but no chairs on them.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Steve S - We certainly appreciate your feedback. Parking is very limited in Savannah and most hotels do valet parking for this reason, as well as it is an enhanced service most guests enjoy. Weekend meter parking is typically full so it can be a struggle to park for free, we do offer unlimited in and out privileges to the garage to help offset the cost. We do appreciate your feedback on the team and the hotel in general, please come see us again and maybe buy a package that includes parking in the future.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I am a Hilton Honors Gold Elite Member so I have stayed in many hotels that Hilton owns. I would say that this rates as one of the worst. The best part of the hotel was the staff and the breakfast.

When we checked in we were told we are having a great room with a view of the water. It was a corner room and if you had binoculars you could see the water in the distance. I proceeded to sit in the chair by the desk and the leather on the chair was totally ripped in various places.

Later on we went to take a shower and noticed that they apparently had changed the shower part that is used to turn on the shower and it was round...........the old one was square and there was a hole in the wall. We looked up and saw the grout had been wet, maybe from this shower or the room above, but it looked like there was mold.

The black out curtains were ripped and had holes in them.

We also thought that $20 a day for parking was a bit much especially when the car was basically left right in front of the hotel. FOR PEOPLE WITH HANDICAPPED STICKERS BE AWARE THAT IN SAVANNAH THE STICKERS REALLY DO NOT GIVE YOU THE ABILITY TO PARK ANYWHERE WITHOUT GETTING A TICKET. ALSO AT THIS HOTEL HANDICAPPED STICKER CARDS GET CHARGED THE SAME $20 BECAUSE THEY OUTSOURCE THE PARKING.

We brought in the manager and he was floored that this room was assigned to anyone. I told him there should be a procedure where the cleaning people should have the ability to report problems in the room because they couldn't have missed the condition of this room.

In the end they would up taking care of my parking and refunding all of my points for this stay.

If you want a Hilton property in Savannah I would suggest booking one of the others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Location is perfect. Just park the car and walk everywhere in the town.But there were two main facts that made the difference: First, it felt as if being in family-run hotel: people is very kind and willing to help you at any time. Second, I believe I had the best breakfast buffet ever. It was absolutely complete and delicious. There is no doubt to strongly recommend this place

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Benjamin V - Glad to see you had a great stay and thanks for the wonderful compliment on the breakfast buffet! Come see us again.
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was not considering this hotel at all. But it was the only hotel with a room available. It has been a great stay with really nice employees. From the desk workers to the valet parkers to the concierge... All have been terrific!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank casualtravel2
Casualtraveler2- I'm glad you choose to stay with us, unfortunately the websites are driven by opinion and those can really vary, were historical so seeking a new build is not realistic. I'm glad to see you enjoyed the staff and your stay and hope to see you again in the future.
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I booked this hotel using my hiltonhonors points. The hotel is between the Riverfront and historic district. I was disappointed my room wasnt ready, but we tried to check in at 12:45. When we returned at 3 PM, the room was ready and waiting. Everyone was friendly, but not enough that it was over the top. The lobby isn't impressive, nor are the rooms, but they were clean and well appointed, NOT shabby in my opinion. The bathroom was functional in all ways, the shower was fine, hot and good pressure. The shampoos, etc were nice. although, they weren't replaced at any time during our stay. Housekeeping was quiet in the hallways and efficient at cleaning the rooms. When folks chatted in the hallways, you could hear them in your room, but I didn't hear anything from the surrounding rooms. The streets were quiet during our visit, so much so that you could hear any loud car coming down Bull Street, but I travel with a noise machine so that's not a bother. The pool was clean and pretty. Overall, Good stay. I liked that we didn't stay in the noisy Riverfront area and didn't stay any farther into the historic district. This location worked perfectly for us. Everything was within walking distance. As part of our stay we got free breakfast each morning, which was nice. They make fresh waffles, omlets to order or pancakes upon request -- very good grub!

Room Tip: away from the elevator, high floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank NYGirl37
NYGirl37 - We appreciate your feedback and were happy you had a nice stay. Glad to see you enjoyed the location, the food and the room overall, we hope you come see us again when travelling to or through Savannah!