“Needs a face lift and more smiling faces!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Savannah Marriott Riverfront

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #46 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Orlando, Florida
“Needs a face lift and more smiling faces!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, 11/25-11/27. The location is on the far end of the river walk, but still fine if you want to walk all over the downtown area. My husband made the reservations online a couple weeks prior to our trip, and received a discounted rate. I called a few days before the trip to confirm the king size bed and ask that we be put in a riverfront room if possible. The woman on the phone was very rude in her mannerisms and tone when she told me that since we were getting a discount, she couldn't guarantee me anything. I guess I could understand that, but wouldn't you want your discounted people to be just as happy as full paying guests? She made it sound as if we were lesser people.
My husband made the reservation online, and we specifically requested a king size bed and extra foam pillows. Those feather ones hurt my neck... When we arrived, I asked to be upgraded to a riverfront view. This is an extra $30 per night charge. Also, this is in addition to the $18 a day for parking. We may have a received a discount on the room, but hotels such as this nickle and dime you on every little thing, so it was still turning out to be more expensive than we planned. Our "riverfront view" was on the far side of the hotel and partially blocked by a piece of wall. We did get a king size bed, but apparently pillow requests do not transfer if you change rooms. I found this odd... Not to mention that the bed is terrible on the joints of a side-sleeper like me. I was sore in the hips for the whole trip.
Many things in this hotel were lacking compared with other places I have stayed, which could be deemed of cheaper variety. For example, there is no safe in the room closet, which is something I have come to expect of any hotel. I expect to be able to lock up my valuables without having to go to the desk each time I want them out. There is no free breakfast, and you have to ask for something as simple as a shower cap. While walking around, the scarred and pitted baseboards and door bottoms come into sharp focus, as well as the crooked wall lamps. The temperature on the 4th floor where we were seemed to be stuck on heat, but the room was stuck on freeze. The lobby and atrium is decent, but smells horribly of pool chemicals at all times, as the pool is indoors. The atrium is just one huge open space and lacks any sort of decoration. I would expect better from a hotel that charges as much as they do for a normal-paying customer.
The one bright spot was the concierge. She was extremely helpful in booking all of our tours and reservations for dinner. She is not employed by the hotel, however, but a private travel agent. Maybe that's why she was so happy...
Overall, I give this place a 3 due to it's location. But you must ask for a riverfront view, or even an atrium view. Otherwise, you will be taking in the scenic parking lot and rooftop air conditioners.

Room Tip: Get the riverfront view! If you can't, try somewhere else. None of the other rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ashinyla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Korean first
Lawrenceville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

This was a last minute stay in Savannah. I was upgraded to a river side room on the 7th floor. Hotel was well maintained and the room was great. If you like ships then get a river view room. The ships and ships horns will keep you up all night, and you have to get up and see how big the ships are. It cool and the kids love it. nice indoor pool in the center of the hotel and was clean and well stocked with towels. This hotel is with walking distance of river street a Savannah must.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

Horrible hotel horrible staff poorly managed does not deserve to carry the Marriott name. The hotel despite having undergone a renovation is still extremely outdated, the food is terrible carpets in the rooms are filthy. The staff are OK not the friendlest bunch Ive encountered but friendlier than some mediocer hotels however I think he was the manager or something, Methe Baykalal was as rude as a person can be and not only to me but to other guests around me. Very thick accent, could not understand a word he said, rude and abrasive atitude I don't understand how people like him work in the hospitality industry when he was the furthest thing from hospitable, the senior management need to do everyone a favor and get rid of him.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Sussie E
San Clemente, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

This review is a tough one for me. This property seems to me like it might be struggling to find it's identity. The staff and management were very helpful and accomodating. I had a promotional rate and they advised me that they did not have a "house" e-mail, which I found peculiar but nevertheless Carlos let me send the document to his private email. That was above and beyond. The main common area is relatively unused with the exception of an indoor pool which quite frankly, looked awkward. Rooms were comfortable and again, this is a Marriott. Very consistent.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are not offerred overlooking the River.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Augusta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed overnight and the check in was quick but Carlos who checked me in insisted I get a parking pass. I explained to him that I arrived by cab and did not have a car and he became irritated. Weird. Upon checking out, I was charged for parking in which the morning staff fixed really quick. The hotel had a strange smell and I had a dead water bug in my bathroom.

Room Tip: If you are traveling by cab or shuttle (without the use of parking), ensure you review your bill pri...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
covington, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

Great, comfy rooms. Service is excellent at every turn. Got a room with a river view (honestly feel like you are on the river it's so close) to add a little excitement as the big boats came thru. Close to the tourist area and great seafood.

Room Tip: request a river view room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Commerce, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

This was a very clean and nice hotel . It is on the far end of town (which we liked) but plenty close enough to walk to all the action . The entire staff was very helpful on anything that we needed . The only things that I didn't like was the $18 daily fee to park and also that there was no free continental breakfast . All in all we had a great time and would stay again at this hotel .

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for the riverfront rooms to see all the ships coming in and out of port .
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple