“Great Location, but online pictures did not represent the property”

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #47 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, GA
“Great Location, but online pictures did not represent the property”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

When we booked the hotel for the weekend of the Rock and Roll Marathon, I was excited by the pictures that were shown online. But when we arrived, I was a little disappointed that the pictures shown online really didn't represent the property. As per other reviews on this hotel, if you specifically ask for a room overlooking the river then the view is very nice. Unfortunately, most of the rooms do not have this view. In order to check in, you have to go to the first floor. The first floor is massive with some sparse furnishings, the check in area and lounge, a large open space with no furniture (not sure what the purpose of this room is) and an indoor pool.

In regard to the rooms, even though it looks like they were updated over the past few years the bedding, carpet, and furniture looked a little "tired" and worn. The walls between the rooms were thin and you could hear everything that was going on in the other rooms as well as in the hall. Make sure that you request a room away from the elevators and ice machine/vending area. All night we heard the ice machine and people talking.

We did order room service and the food was good. They were pretty quick in delivering it considering the hotel was full.

Overall, the people that work at the hotel were pleasant and friendly and the hotel was in a great location. I just think that they could update and freshen up the hotel to fit a little better into the beautiful city of Savannah.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river, not overlooking the atrium, and away from the elevators and ice machine...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent visit.

We appreciate all comments as they allow us to improve and enhance services. Our goal is 100% guest satisfaction and your observations will assist us in reaching that goal.

Our Chef is dedicated to providing a memorable dining experience and we will let both she and our room service staff know that you were pleased with the food and service.

We also take great pride in our staff and their friendliness. It is always a pleasure to hear we are succeeding in providing true Southern Hospitality.

We hope to see you again next year for the Rock and Roll Marathon.

Happy Holidays!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Korean first
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was attending a group meeting at this hotel and we were given a special rate, so I stayed in the hotel for a Friday and Saturday night. Because of the reduced rate, the room I was given (708) was on the seventh floor and overlooking the atrium area.

Other people comments about the noise are correct. You hear children down in the pool, you hear large groups in the lobby. My room had an ill fitting door with large gaps around one side and the bottom, so any noise in the hallway were like they were in my room.

My biggest complaint was with the king bed. The mattress should have been replaced long ago. It was clearly worn out and you could easily see two big indention areas were people slept before. It was so bad that I might have only gotten about four hours sleep over two nights, because of the mattress.

Another complaint is that I was taller than the shower head. I am 5'11" tall and the shower head only came up even with my shoulders. This meant I had to bend down in the shower to wash my head and hair.

One good thing was that the in room coffee maker was NOT in the bathroom. It was taking up space on the limited desk. Speaking of limited, there was only one electric outlet at the desk to plug in a computer or phone charger (not both at the same time).

The TV was a nice size Panasonic flat screen. I don't know if it was just the TV in my room or if all of them have the volume limited. I tried to raise the TV volume up to drown out the noise of two small kids running around in the room next door, but my TV volume wouldn't go above 26.

The hotel is located at the far end of the riverwalk area. You have a 3 block walk up the riverwalk before you get to any of the shops or restaurants. So if you are in Savannah to enjoy the historic district or riverfront area, be prepared to do a bit of walking.

The daily parking fee was included in the group rate that I had, so I didn't have to pay extra for parking. Wireless Internet in the rooms are an extra fee, but there is free Wi-Fi in the public areas, like the lobby and atrium. Because my room overlooked the atrium, I was able to get enough of the free Wi-Fi signal to use that and save the in room Wi-Fi fee.

People at the Hotel were nice. I had the breakfast buffet for $16 + tax on one day. The servers in the restaurant were excellent. The food on the buffet was fair at best.

Room Tip: Don't get an atrium room. Do ask for a lower floor room because there are only 4 elevators and t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent stay with us.

We continually get wonderful comments on our staff - for their friendliness, dedication and hospitality. It seems you were particularly impressed by our servers in the restaurant and we will pass your words on to them.

Also, thank you for letting us know about the bed, electrical outlet and television. Our Engineering Department has been notified.

Again, we appreciate your review and hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the future.

Happy Holidays!
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'll start by saying this...best staff I've encountered at a Marriott. My wife and I ran the Rock 'N' Roll Half this past weekend and as soon as we stepped onto the property, we were treated like family. Being the frugal guy that I am, I booked two separate rooms (1 for Thurs. night, 1 for Fri. night) which saved us about 100+ bucks. I spoke with the desk the next morning and upon my request, they allowed me to stay in the room. Some hotels won't allow this, but this one fortunately did. We were greeted at their restaurant, Blue I think, with a friendly smile and welcome to Savannah. Being from Charleston, Savannah trumped the friendliest side. After our run, they had towels, room temp. bottled water and Gatorade. Each staff welcomed us back with open arms. The place is a little dated and noisy, but when you have the excellent staff, that makes it much more appealing. It's also right on the River, with their own interest from the Walk. We'll definitely come back because we felt like family! Thanks to all, I'm horrible with names, but ya'lls' smiling faces made the staff worth every penny!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
What a pleasure to receive your glowing review about your stay with us this past weekend!

It is an extreme compliment to hear that we "trumped" our southern neighbor Charleston, with the friendliness of our staff! We do take great pride in the hospitality we offer and are always happy to pass this feedback on to our associates.

To hear that the little touches, such as the towels and water and gatorade made you feel like you were at home is something we strive for.

And to hear that you feel like family and plan to return is the best comment we can receive.

Again, thank you for taking time to let us know about your visit. We look forward to the pleasure of serving you in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at this property for my birthday vacation. From the moment my friend and I stepped onto the property we were greeted by a very pleasant and helpful bell person. The front desk was very attentive and the whole staff very knowledgeable of thr area. The food recommendations were great. My room was clean and the balcony was very nice. I was able to sit there in the early morning hours without bothering my friend and read. I was also able to watch the fireworks without going downstairs. The hotel is located on the river,so I was able to go right outsidae the hotel and read while watching the boats and yachts go by. The location of the hotel is so convient if you want to walk to the shops on the riverfront. We didn't have to worry about paying for parking or taking a cab. The staff was the best. We spoke with the hotel engineer and he was delightful. We had just a bit of a problem the last night of our stay ,but the hotel staff as well as the General Manager were very prompt in handling the situation. I was impressed by the prompt attention and the concern for what we had to say. I look forward to staying here again and again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for letting us know about your wonderful stay!

It is always a pleasure to hear our guests describe their visits, from start to finish, with the excitement apparent in your review.

Our staff is welcoming in the truest sense of the phrase "southern hospitality". We take great pride in our associates and pass on every compliment at our weekly staff meeting.

In addition, thank you for your comment about our General Manager. He just joined us here and we are grateful to have him.

Our location is superb with easy access to many shops and restaurants and to have a room with a balcony provides for a "birds eye" view of the Savannah River. So glad you enjoyed your reading time.

Again, thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay. We look forward to serving you in the future!
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed staying in Savannah recently for a business trip. The marriott is in a good location, however there where a few things that where aggravating. Like no fridge in the room, we had to ask for one, never had to do that before especially in 6 star hotel. The wifi was 12.95 per day and when we finally got it comped, it wouldn't stay on for any great length of time. That was Very Aggravating!!

On a more positive note, the staff was extremely kind. Always accommodating, especially 2 bel hops, Wilshauna (I think is the way you spell it) and Lexi. Both went out of their way to help us. Thank you ladies!!!

Our view was wonderful!! We had a balcony room overlooking the atrium, but beyond that you could see the river. We enjoyed watching the boats come in.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

It is always wonderful to know that our associates have provided excellent service and your comments will be passed on to both Wilnesha and Lexi. In addition, they will attend a monthly luncheon hosted for employees who are applauded by our guests.

Although we do not have refrigerators in all rooms as you stated, they are available upon request. However it is always helpful to hear guest comments so we can review and improve our services.

Unfortunately we were in the process of changing internet companies to improve speed and efficiency during your stay and I apologize for your difficulties.

Thank you again for taking time to let us know about your stay. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the future.
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel has an excellent location with easy access to everything in Savannah. The view of river was excellent. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The parking was convenient. The beds were very comfortable

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Rhon R, Customer Service at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit.

It is always a pleasure to hear our guests have enjoyed their accommodations, in particular our comfortable beds.

Being right on the water offers our guests a "birds eye" view of the giant container ships and pleasure craft traveling down the river. Often there are dolphins playing in the waves, which delights people of all ages.

We take great pride in our staff and their southern hospitality and your comments will be shared at our next staff meeting.

Again, thank you for your time.
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights for business. Room had city view with balcony. Have stayed here before and was again pleased although at some point they will need to freshen up the interior and add common room amenities like fridge (you have to ask for one) and safe (not available). Wish the water taxi ran later than 6:30 pm because it really makes it easy to get down to center of river street. The parking fee is a bit much. The staff however are exceptional.

Room Tip: balcony's are limited.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
We appreciate you letting us know about your recent stay.

We value our guest's opinions and thank you for your comment on in-room refrigerators. Also, although we do not have safes in guest rooms, they are available at our front desk on a complimentary basis.

The hotel has no control over the water taxi service, but we can certainly pass your observation on to the proper personnel.

To hear our staff is exceptional is a sign that we offering our guests 100% guest satisfaction and true southern hospitality which is our ultimate goal.

Again, thank you for your comments about the hotel and area services. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you in the future.