“Great Hotel”

Ranked #48 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was one of the best hotels that I've stayed in while visiting the Savannah Georgia area. However, I was a bit disappointed with the location of my suite. It was a view of the road construction on the city side. not a good look for Valentines Day. I then learned that it was best for me to request a room in advance. In short, I can guarantee that my next stay will be better. Overall great stay and clean facilities.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R M
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are honored to be noted as one of the best hotels you have stayed in in Savannah, even though you did not care for the location of your suite. We will be happy to provide you with a view of your choosing in the future. When you make your reservation, please note the request and if available we will be happy to provide that for you.

Again, thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent stay.

Thank you for choosing Marriott!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Great location but nothing to see from this riverfront hotel, just the mucky water, a few boats once in a while & shrubs across the river. Room & bed were great, clean & quiet. Next time I'll stay at a cheaper hotel within the historic district then just walk or take the trolley to see the riverfront.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Safirisafiri
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. From the moment we arrived, everyone was so kind and helpful and check-in was a quick and effectient. We had reserved a King Deluxe Riverfront view with a request for an upper floor. We got exactly that on the view from the 6th floor was amazing. Everyone seemed to complain about the 19/day parking fee, yet it was clearly spelled out on their site and very much in line with other hotel and inns in the area. I was surpirsed to see our room had a mini fridge in it. It is difficult on the marriott site to determine in advance which category of rooms had one or not. Very impressed with the job hosekeeping did each day and when our hairdryer died one morning, maintenance was there in less then 5 minutes. Almost everything on riverstreet was within walking distance and the harbor ferry stopped right at the Marriott and would drop us off at city hall. Would come back again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
It was a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your recent stay, even though the weather was cold. Winter in Savannah very rarely has locals excited about the possibility of snow, yet a few weeks ago, we eagerly anticipated the possibility!

Thank you for your comments about the friendliness of our staff and the quick response of our engineering department. We have an outstanding group of employees who strive to provide our guests with 100% satisfaction.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Galloway, Ohio
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This hotel is located at the very opposite end of the Historic District. That means the human traffic is somewhat light even during a major event but also you would need to walk about a mile or two before getting to the middle of the town. The hotel's staff is very friendly and accommodating. However, the hotel itself needs some rethinking on the design of the atrium. There is a pool in the atrium, and some rooms face the atrium. There is also a bar located below several rooms. I was lucky enough to get a room on the second floor (210). The noise from people at the bar and ice machine located next to the room were so loud that I had to ask to be reassigned for another room. The staff was very nice enough to switch me to another room higher, but honestly, I don't know who would want to stay on the second floor above the bar. I was told that I have a view of the river, but unfortunately, the view from windows is the rooftop with AC condensers. It might as well not have a window. I was here with a colleague. She was placed up on the 5th floor with a balcony facing the river. She also told me that her room has a micro refrigerator in the TV cabinet, but my room didn't come with it. The room was big enough, and the bed was comfortable. I had a mixed feeling about the cleaning job. I saw a few pieces of long hair that were stuck on one of the pillows. I also found them I the bathroom, too. The bed was made, and the bathroom was tidied up daily. Yet, one day the floor mat in the bathroom was gone, and a replacement was not left. On a contrary note, bath towels were left in the room, and no fresh towels were left. The shower was a bit tricky as you have to turn the knob all way to hot to get hot water. The tub was a bit slippery, and I also most fell in the tub. I used the coffee machine in the room. I strongly suggest for you to check the expiration date on the half and half cream. The cleaning folks don't even replace them, so one had an expiration date of December and three with a January date. I just threw them out to make sure that they will be replaced for next guests. One of the travel cups were already open, too, so I threw that out, too. FYI, the Wireless Internet costs $12.95. When I visited here, the temperature was cold, so I turned on the heater. It made a loud popping/banging noise when the system became warm. That told me that the system has been around for a while. One of the walls looked like there was a leak or condensation issue. So what's my feeling about this hotel? Other than the front desk staff, I don't recommend staying here. However, I would caution that many other chain hotels are located in an old historic building. So they might not be necessarily meet what you expect from regular chain hotels in a stand-alone building. So do your research before booking anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a specific room. Rooms in the 60s like 660 faces the river.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay.

We always strive for 100% guest satisfaction, but unfortunately, in your case, fell short. Please accept my apologies for the noise you experienced coming from our bar, the ice machine and the heating unit as well as the lack of housekeeping attention to your room. We do appreciate your feedback. Candid comments, both the negative and positive like yours, help us to improve on our operation and guest service.

As you noted, there is a minimal charge for internet in guest rooms, but we do offer free internet to all guests in our lobby. Also, refrigerators are complimentary and available upon request.

Our staff is dedicated to guest service. It seems our front desk staff in particular, were very attentive to your needs. Thank you for your comment. It will be shared with our Front Desk Manager and staff.

Again, thank you for your review. We would welcome the opportunity to provide you with an exceptional stay, should your travels bring you back to Savannah.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

We found this hotel a bit "tired." In need of updating, especially the electrical in the room. There aren't enough outlets for the modern traveler, plus many in our room were loose in the wall and we were unable to fully plug in a phone charger. Room decor is very dated.

On the plus side, all the staff are great examples of Southern hospitality. Very outgoing, helpful and kind.

Love Marriott but won't return to this hotel unless it gets a major reno.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your feedback, as it enables us to address issues seen through the eyes of our guests. It is true that with continual advances, people need the most modern technological resources. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

It is always a pleasure to hear about the friendliness of our associates. They are frequently mentioned as showing true southern hospitality and are pleased to hear reviews such as yours at our weekly staff meetings.

Again, thank you for your time. We certainly hope should your future travels bring you back to Savannah; you will give us another opportunity to serve you.
Elmhursr, PA
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were across from a room full of partiers who used the hallway as an extension for their party. Several people on our floor complained and I called the front desk at 1 am. Then they quieted down. Our room had floor to ceiling windows but you couldn't.see the river for the the condensation in the windows. 1st Marriott we have experienced a disappointment with.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your recent visit.

All feedback, whether positive or negative, is instrumental in improving guest satisfaction, which we strive for.

Please accept my sincere apology for the noise you experienced in your room, from other guests in the hallway. Also, thank you for bringing the condensation on the window to our attention. Because of that, other guests will have a wonderful view of the river, which is one of the things we are known for. I am sorry we did not provide that to you on your visit.

Again, thank you for your time. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to extend our customary quality and service Marriott properties are known for.
Finger Lakes NY
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The friendlist hotel in the Marriott chain we have ever been in. We were greeted at the door by Roemain....he made us feel so welcome and never forgot our name while we were there. Such a pleasant man. On to the front desk and there was Julie...another wonderful and pleasant person...we chatted and she made us feel right at home. She also never forgot our name. Every one was so wonderful it wasn't just a "hello" it was a chat about anything and everything.
Our room was wonderful...had a view to watch the ships go by. We were within
walking distance of sights and restaurants...what more could you ask for!
This was not our first visit there and it certainly will not be our last!! I did read a review that someone wrote about the parking fees. That is the way it is in big cities!!
Kathleen and John M.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
It was certainly a pleasure to hear from you about your "wonderful" stay!

What an honor to receive the compliment that the Marriott Savannah Riverfront is "the friendliest hotel in the Marriott chain"! Also, thank you for mentioning Romaine and Julie. They are both incredible assets to our company and we are fortunate to have them on our team!

Our location, with its easy access to restaurants, shops and historic sites, is further enhanced by the riverfront location. Like you, our guests often mention the huge container ships that travel up the river.

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing Marriott. We look forward to your return.