“Bed was the best thing about this hotel. Nothing extra came with the price of the room!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Savannah Marriott Riverfront

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #47 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

This hotel is located a fair distance from the River Street area, but if you can get around okay you will be fine.

No extras here. No free Continental Breakfast, parking, newspaper or wireless internet. Everything had a fee. Most hotels in Savannah did offer these things for free. When we checked in I asked if there was a room available with a view of the river. They said that would be an extra $10 per night. So they HAD a room, but it wasn't available unless you paid more. We said no thank you.

Hotel wanted to charge $18 per night for parking. Don't do it. Go to the Visitor's center and buy a parking pass for $8, good for 2 days! You can park in any public garage, lot or parking meter (the hour or more ones). We did this and parked our car on the street overnight near River Street. Also, the city has 2 different free shuttles (called the Dot). They are buses that make a certain route around the historic district. You can get on and off at any of the stops. Maps of the routes are available at the VIsitor's Center. I tried to inquire with the hotel about the free shuttle and they 'knew nothing about it'. I found this surprising since there was a stop for the shuttle right in front of the hotel.

This was a very noisy hotel. We were on the 4th floor. The walls were thin so you heard your neighbors and people in the hall. There was a loud argument going on right next door at about 2am. We also heard the traffic going by on the street below and people down in the parking lot.

On the plus side, the room was clean. We stayed 2 nights and they came in the second day to freshen up and restock toiletries. The best thing about this room was the bed. We had a king size bed and there were 6 pillows on it. The sheets were very plush and the mattress extremely comfortable. It made it hard to get up early and start your day.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Korean first
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

i booked this room on Priceline for $115 a night for 2/14-2/16 (V-Day/Presidents Day Weekend). I was very happy with the accomodations. Being a Priceline traveler with such a low rate, I was placed in a room with neither an atrium or river view, instead I had the parking lot, but I was very happy with the room. It was clean, the bed was comfy, and the furnishings were nice. Like everyone else, I wasn't happy with the $18 parking charge, but I have found resorts in that category often try to add charges like parking and resort fees. The pool looked nice, though I didn't have time to go down for a swim. The hotel was convienent to River Street. It was quite a long walk to get down to the historic squares, but if I didn't mind waiting, the trolley on riverstreet would have taken me down to the elevator by the Hyatt. The staff was very friendly and happy to answer any of our questions. I would book again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

We purchased a room through priceline. Disappointed that the room wasn't on waterfront, but not surprised considering the discounted price. Room was very clean and roomy; beds were comfortable; staff were pleasant. The location was excellent. We actually enjoyed the walk up the river to the activity on the riverfront. Only one gripe - guests must pay $18.00 to park their own cars. We would expect that kind of treatment from a hotel in the north, but never from a beautiful southern lady known for her hospitality...

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

My boyfriend and I were definitely unimpressed by this Mariott. Yes, it is by the river, but you are far away from River Street and other historic Savannah attractions. Parking is difficult in this part of Savannah, so I would suggest staying within walking distance of restaurants/shops/attractions. This hotel is NOT close by those things, it would be a good hike to a restaurant. Plus, the hotel charges about $20/day for parking. Our room was noisy...the door rattled all night and we were woken up by our next door neighbors a couple times throughout the night. On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable and the bath was huge. We ordered room service for breakfast...which was good food, plenty to split, and not too pricey.

• Liked — Breakfast and the big comfy bed
  • Disliked — Price of parking, location
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

I stayed here for three nights for a conference. Was surprised when I checked in to have a room with an atrium view-very claustrophobic, and the phone was dead. When I asked at the front desk for an alternate room with an outside window, after waiting about 10 minutes, I got a river-view room but was told that was the last one available (not sure why I needed to know that). Loved watching the ships go by. The room was OK, but smelled a bit musty. TV and radio with poor reception. poor water pressure in the shower

The gym was pretty good but an awkward location as you have to walk through the lobby to get there. The pool in the lobby is a terrible location.

There were used room service breakfast trays and a tray of paint with a ladder outside my room most of the day.

It rained and the front desk was out of umbrellas.

I have stayed in many Marriotts and this was not up to standards. A terrible design overall

If you have to stay there, insist on a river view room.

Positives: very friendly bell staff, I was given a 2pm check out time, the gym, watching the ships on the river

Negatives: horrendous atrium design with most rooms having no outside windows, pool in lobby, duct tape on hallway floors

• Liked — river view
  • Disliked — atrium design
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank travelerdocmom
Midwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

Stayed here for a conference and was very happy with the Marriott comfort and level of service I have always appreciated, but the facility itself was not so great. My room was comfy, but the wallpaper was peeling, and torn in a few places, my toilet was not fully bolted to the floor, and the shower curtain a bit dirty--not anything like any other Marriott I've stayed at before. Room service was great, and food tasted and looked good, but quickly lost its appeal after I found a long hair in my southwestern wrap (yuck....) --Most disappointing were the public areas of the hotel.Nicely decorated, but boring-The pool is in an open area of the lobby (didn't feel comfortable meeting any of my national collegues in my swimsuit as they checked in to their rooms), and the exercise room closeby -- ended up not using either of them. Location was walkable and convenient to historic downtown , but at the most eastern edge, so needed to walk at least 4-5 blocks to get anywhere. Ultimately ended up spending much more time at the Hyatt, 1/2 mile up river, and in the middle of all the city activity.

• Liked — Marriott Service
  • Disliked — Pool in the lobby--REALLY awkward
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MKEgirlMidwest
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

We were in Savannah for New Years the first night we stayed at the Hyatt Riverfront. This was our second stay here, the rooms were not so clean and the prices were ridiculous. So we moved to the Marriott New Years Eve. We got there at 10 am to find out what time we could check in and they gave us a nice room right away. We stayed there for two nights. Other than the power going out late that evening we had no problems. Our room was very clean the staff was very accomadating. I do however think they should have compensated everyone for the loss of power.

• Liked — Cleanliness, price, comfort
  • Disliked — Power outage
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family