“Odd lobby layout”

Ranked #46 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Greensboro, Maryland
“Odd lobby layout”
Reviewed 17 June 2009

This is a nice hotel, but had some oddities. The rooms were standard rooms - nothing special. No fridge, which was disappointing. And, I had a nice view of a roof with a bunch of air conditioning units. A river view would have been nicer - they have those too.

My tub also had a very slow drain issue. I called down to the front desk and they offered to do it while I was out to dinner so that I wouldn't be disturbed or send someone right up (up to me). I chose the "while I'm out" option. No sign that this task was accomplished when I got back. However, during my shower the following morning, I had no problems.

The lobby layout was odd - when I got dropped off by the taxi at an entrance that did not lead to the check-in desk. Instead, that was up a flight of stairs. Having my luggage with me, I decided to leave it at the bottom (I had already turned down the bellman - not realizing this). There was an elevator I could have used, but that was a longer walk. Check-in was quick and efficient.

Lobby was large and awkward. Nothing in a large open area the first night. It was used for a wedding the second night and for a trade show after that. The pool is also situated in the lobby. The atrium looks up to the top of the hotel.

There's a spa - quite small, but the service I had (Swedish massage) was nice. I think I was the only one using the spa at the time, so it felt very private. The spa includes a sauna and steam room, robes, towels, bottled water and other sundries. It's off the lobby.

The bar was nice. Since I was there for a conference, it was a nice meeting area. It was all part of the open floor-plan lobby. It closed early, though - 10 p.m.

It's not a far walk to get to the restaurants and shops. But, if you wear heels, it can seem that way. Good shoes are a must.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Korean first
MCB0607
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I'm not sure why this hotel has generated such controversy on TripAdvisor.com! We booked through Priceline.com and stayed for $90/night. For that price, this was an outstanding hotel. I would not have paid the asking price of $140-$160/night.

As to the location of the hotel: we thought it was great. All of Savannah is a one square mile block, so distance is all relative to that. This hotel was less than .25 miles off of the main drags, Bay St. and Riverfront, and 12 miles from Tybee Island. We liked the 10 minute (max.) walk to restaurants and bars because it meant the hotel was nice and quiet.

Our one gripe, the parking situation mentioned in other reviews, was easily remedied with a little investigation before we left for our trip. After reading on TripAdvisor.com that parking at the hotel is $18/day (and that's for uncovered, non-valet parking; valet is $22/day) we called the Savannah Visitor Center and found out that the street parking meters turn off at 5 pm on Friday and stay off until 8 am Monday. We just parked on the street the whole time, which was less than .25 miles from the hotel, and walked everywhere we wanted to go. Parking in Savannah is a nightmare, so walking or taking the CAT (bus/transit system), are the only real options, anyways.

We found the rooms to be clean, the concierge to be friendly, and the front desk to be accomodating. The hotel restaurant provided us with apples to feed the horses on our carriage ride, the bar gave us silverware and wine glasses for our carry-out, and the front desk gave us zip-top bags for our kayaking trip. I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews on this site about the Marriott? The Ritz it is not, but it is an economical hotel with suitable amenities and a great location for those interested in exploring and enjoying Savannah on foot.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 June 2009

This hotel is not up to Marriott standards. First, our bathroom was filthy (mold on the shower curtain, something that looked like feces on the wall, mold in the corners of the bathroom). Second, the concierge was a joke! First of all, they have only one. For a hotel of this size, that is simply unacceptable. Second, when I sat to talk with her, she took a phone call and had me sit there for 10 minutes while she completed the call. She seemed to push selling tickets to the trolley tour (which was pretty good), but didn't seem too knowledgeable on much else. She did tell me the hotel will not allow her to have access to the internet. How ridiculous is that in this day and age?!!!
There seem to be so many other charming places to stay in Savannah, that I would advise everyone to stay somewhere else. Don't waste your time at this place.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
ga
Reviewed 3 June 2009

Looking back im thinking that the $20 a day to park should have been a sign of things to come. When i first arrived at the hotel check in desk i was not greeted nor did anyone even ask if they could help me. The two girls behind the desk were to engaged in their conversation to even attempt to help me( and i know they saw me standing there). I waited about 10 minutes before I had to get someone to help me. I asked for 2 keys only to find out that they never even activated one of them! When i opened the door to my room it had an unpleasant smell. My bathroon was not clean and it took 2 seperate calls before someone finally came to clean it for me. Even after house keeping came and "cleaned" the bathroom i noticed dried red spots on the floor that i can't help but thinking was blood. There also is not a towel bar outside the tub for you to hang things on. The hotel is nothing like what it appears to be online...its VERY dated..and they fail to mention that the indoor pool is IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LOBBY! There is a fee for EVERYTHING. The only food available is from the hotel resturant called Blue...which features a $15+ breakfast buffet (and its so not worth it). I ordered food from room service(the same food served in Blue) it came about 40 min later and i ordered a water an never rec'd it. The walls are paper thin and i was able to here the guests in the room beside me. To top everything off i tripped over a pucker in the carpet that desperately needs to be replaced. Overall i did not enjoy my stay here at all and i will not be coming back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
chb1307
Reviewed 29 May 2009

The staff is wonderful. Rooms are always clean. Great location on the end of River Street.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Eastaboga, Alabama
Reviewed 28 May 2009

My husband and I booked this room through price line for $90 per night, which was a deal considering the rates were twice that amount. I called the hotel a week before we arrived and mentioned that we would be celebrating our anniversary. We arrived for check in the front desk guy wished us a happy anniversary. We went to the room and found that we were upgraded to riverfront room with a king bed and balcony. About 15 minutes after we arrived, we had a knock on our room which was a hotel staff with a letter from the hotel wishing us a happy anniversary and a box of chocolates. The room was nice and very clean. We thought overall that the hotel was very nice. My husband commented that he thought the hotel staff was extremely nice. I would stay at this hotel again if ever visiting Savannah.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
ga.
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Worst marriott I have ever stayed in. Nothing else available in town this trip.
Dirty, terrible service. Manager of this hotel should be booted from the company.
Not even close to Marriott standards. Atrium roof leaking...outdated decor. Nice outdoor riverfront location.....three small tables with a closed pool. Atruim bar closes at 10pm on Memorial day weekend. Moved to Hampton Inn Historic district after two nights. Half the price...twice the hotel! And.....$22 parking, no coffee service, $10 wi fi charge. Waited 50 minutes for coffee from room service. Never again. Should be called
Marriott budgetel.