“Excellent choice despite the helicopters!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah
Ranked #80 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Stayed a few nights while seeing Savannah and it was very nice. It felt like a home. GREAT service in the restaurant area by Johnetta the chef - thanks! Clean and comfortable and safe. Good food and lots of it. Not too far drive to the historic district. BUT BEWARE - this hotel is next to an Army base that had helicopters buzzing around til midnight. Not good for sleep or tourist relations. Walking distance to Starbucks, nice supermarket, upscale clothing stores. Homewood is a well run organization I think!

Room Tip: take upstairs room unless you need an elevator
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

Dear Longtimeresident,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Johnetta will be thrilled that you recognized her for her service and cooking! She has been with us for 17 years and we don't know what we'd do without her.

I apologize for the helicopter noise while you were here. We very rarely hear the air traffic from the base, but they were apparently doing an annual training exercise. Not quite as exciting as when our young men and women come home...but still necessary. I'm very sorry for the disturbance.

Just to let you know for next time, we do have a 3 story building with an elevator if you prefer a higher floor, as well as the 2 buildings that are more like apartment style with the stairs. You can request either type and we will do our best to honor your request.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah

Reviewed 18 May 2011

This wasn't our fist visit to Savannah, but it was our first time at this hotel. We chose this location, in part, because of its pet-friendly feature. I also contacted the hotel in advance to request that they prepare for a couple of vegans who would be spending the week with them, since dinners would be provided as part of the room charge.

We arrived a couple of days early, and still, the hotel staff made the effort to accommodate our requests. The entire staff was courteous and went out of their way to be helpful.

We left our cat in the room for periods of time, and between the privacy hanger and communicating with the housekeeping staff, we were confident that our cat would be safe and secure. They provided us with requested supplies immediately when we asked them not to clean our room.

We stayed from a Monday 'til Saturday, and we had no problems any of those days. Our dietary requests were taken seriously and respectfully. While it might have been easier to have made the general menu vegan to begin with (even the burliest of carnivores still eats vegetables, after all), I'm very pleased that they tried to provide us with vegan food. There were a few vegetarian (not vegan) items offered, but I appreciate their efforts. The breakfast staff even made us vegan pancakes!

The location of the hotel was new to us, as in prior visits we had stayed in vacation homes in the historic district. Even though it meant driving to/from downtown Savannah, the distance was not far, and it was always a pleasant drive. We also got to know our way around the newer parts of the city that we one day hope to call our second home.

We had a ground-floor room with easy access. I'll be requesting that on any future visits. With or without my cat being along for the trip, we'll almost definitely stay here on future visits. (The Hilton Honors points are an added bonus.) The entire staff was wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank VeganCaptioner

Dear Vegancaptioner,

Thank you so much for recognizing our staff and hotel. We enjoyed meeting you and your family and look forward to your return. It's nice to have the space of a suite to spread out in and being only 4 miles from the Historic District and a mile from the Oglethorpe Mall puts you in the middle of everything! We appreciate your business and thank you for the kind words.

Reviewed 22 April 2011

We had the opportunity to take a short vacation to Savannah and decided to stay at Homewood suites while visiting. Our stay began pleasantly enough. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. However, the lack of customer service our second day was appalling. We left our room at 10:15 to enjoy the day. After sightseeing, and lunch, we returned after 4:00 to an unclean room. I immediately called the front desk for assistance only to be told "you must have had the privacy sign on your door". I told the clerk we did not and she responded that she would have someone come to our room. We left again at 5:30 for dinner and shopping. Guess what? We returned at 8:30 with no sign of anyone visiting the room. The trash can remained full of trash, we had no washclothes, and wet towels remained. I called once again only to be told "housekeeping left at 7:00" so there was nothing she could do. Needless to say, I was/am extremely upset. So much so that we packed our things and checked out that same night. My family was in no way looking to be pampered however is it too much to ask that we return to a clean room? To be told "I can try to find someone to take out the trash if you want me to" is unacceptable. We will never waste our hard earned money at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Dear Georgiagirl110,

Please accept my apology for not delivering on our superior customer service promise. There is no excuse and your room charge has been reversed. I appreciate your feedback so we can be sure this never happens again. As you can see from our other reviewers, we take pride in our customer service and this was an unfortunate exception.

We hope you will give us another opportunity on your next visit to Savannah.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

The great service that is reflected in the other reviews are true! This hotel's exceptional customer service sets it above the rest. We have stayed at Villas that cost hundreds of dollars a night to upscale hotels but this hotel exceeds them all because of the service. The minute you walk in you feel like family. Ben and Anjuli were wonderful. We had the pleasure of staying in one of the 2 bedroom suites - very spacious! We had an issue with our A/C and before I could hang up the phone - maintenance was there to fix it. This hotel is truly a Savannah Gem!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cappucino444
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2011

Dear Cappucino444,

Thank you so much for recognizing Ben, Anjuli and our maintenance team! Our entire team truly enjoys making our guests feel special and we want you to feel like you are family in our home. We appreciate that you chose to stay with us and look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Basically the moment we check in the staff made sure we found everything we needed even to point of getting us directiond and housekeping made sure the rooms were comfortable and the beds made you feel like you was aslep on a cloud. It all boils down to this I wouldnt stay anywhere else NEXT YEAR WHEN I RETURN.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank SHAKINA09
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2011

Dear Shakina09,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Savannah, and also for recognizing Anjuli for her outstanding customer service! We have an entire team of great employees who take pleasure in making sure our guests are treated very special. Our bedding is very comfortable as you mentioned and we are glad you got a great nights sleep. We look forward to you staying with us again next year!

Reviewed 7 April 2011

I travel to Savannah regularly for work (and occasionally for pleasure). I've stayed in a number of local hotels-mostly Marriotts- and happened to luck into this gem. I needed to make a last minute trip, and a lot of my "regular" hotels were booked. I booked a night at the Towneplace Suites (Marriott) and upon check in was incredibly disappointed. As a female traveling alone I felt unsafe and my room was unclean. I checked out and drove to Homewood. The staff and managers were INCREDIBLE. They personally walked me around the hotel and showed me my room before I booked it. I have never experienced such great customer service. My room was very clean, I had plenty of space and I really did feel at HOME. As an added bonus, the hotel offers a free breakfast and dinner. I did not partake in the nightly meal but I did have a glass of beer on the house.

I did not see any other hotel guests walking around in suits (like me). Most of the guests were families traveling or older, retirees. I felt very safe staying there and would absolutely recommend it for people staying by themselves.

If I had to say one negative thing about the hotel, it would be that the water in the bathroom did not quite get hot enough for me in the shower. Other than that... My stay was perfect!!

Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank JustCallmeTourGuide

Dear SarahDJohnston,

We are so excited to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and really appreciate you taking the time to give kudos to our staff and Kelley who showed you around! We actually have a great mix of guests as the spacious suites are great for families, guests that are relocating or on an extended business trip, or even those just staying one night. Free breakfast and dinner (Mon-Thur) are a great value and we truly enjoy making sure everyone has a good time. Thanks for the feedback on the hot water - we will make sure that this is not an on-going issue in this suite. As you mentioned that you are a regular traveler to Savannah, we look forward to your return and making you feel like you are always "at home".

Reviewed 6 April 2011

If I am ever in Savannah again I would stay there. The staff was excellent, the facilities were clean and the rooms were comfortable. Ms Deb even took pictures for us. Excellent!

• Stayed: April 2011

Dear upstatelady,

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and sharing your comments about our hotel! I enjoyed meeting you and your friends and hope you enjoy the pictures for a long time to come. I hope to see you back in Savannah soon!