“Ideal for the business traveler”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah
Ranked #80 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Covington
“Ideal for the business traveler”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The suite is roomy and has all the accomodations that I look for and I find are typical to Homewood Suites - a good desk with outlets, a nice sitting area, good lighting, a kitchen with appliances and utensils, a comfortable bed, a clean and roomy bathroom. It is in a fairly high traffic area between White Bluff Road and Abercorn but because of the various ways to access from either road, it is conveniently situated. I had business closer to downtown Savannah and it was only minutes away. It is also convenient to good grocery stores (Fresh Market, Publix), and other good shopping. The dinners at night were tasty and there were always healthy options. The staff made me feel welcome and never rushed. The fitness room is on the small side but the equipment is maintained well and was all I needed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Angela Faye D
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Angie D,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience with other travelers! We're happy to hear you got to relax during our Welcome Home Reception and enjoyed the food. It's just a bonus that it's free!

We hope you will come and see us again soon when your business leads you back to Savannah.

Deborah Cline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
Oakton, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Highly recommend. Excellent facilities and service at very reasonable rates. Sales Manager Jay Womble is very guest oriented and made an extra effort to make our stay enjoyable. Savannah is a great town to visit and tour. This hotel is not downtown but has easy access to downtown as well as other tourest attractions in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike S
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Mike S,

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Savannah and your stay with us at the Homewood Suites - Savannah! We appreciate your recognition of Jay - he definitely takes pride in making sure that all of our guests are happy, and he thrives when he can help our guests in any way.

We hope you'll come back soon and stay even longer!

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I travel frequently with 2-10 week stays in extended stay hotels being common. I stayed here for 24 Nights in Jan/Feb 2012. This was my 6th extended stay in a Homewood Suites in recent years but my first in this hotel. Frequent guests in Homewood Suites are familiar with the Kitchen, Living room, Bedroom; split bathroom design of most Homewood suites. The kitchens come with dishes, pots, pans, utensils, 2 burner stove, large micro-wave, sink and ¾ size refrigerator. The toilet and shower are in a separate room from the sink/vanity area and has a positive ventilator so steamed-up mirrors was never a problem. There is a very large closet area with ironing board and iron and a nice blow-dryer by the sink. This is an earlier model of Homewood with an apartment complex-type setup. There is a Lodge with a well equipped workout room, a very nice Work Center with two computers with a printer for each and a well stocked section dedicated to brochures for various local tourist and historical attractions. There is also a guest laundry room with 3 washers and 4 dryers. Each load costs $1.50. Also in the lodge are clean, well equipped restrooms and a filtered water dispenser.
In the lodge is a very nice sitting and eating area that is roomy and open with a nice fireplace at one end and a well equipped food service area and there are conference rooms usually available for overflow of guests during peak meal hours. Seating for meals was never an issue during my stay. A nice breakfast is served every morning with numerous options and always some healthy alternatives with a wide variety of selections. Each Mon – Thursday evening from 5-7 PM there is a Manager’s Reception with a light dinner and numerous drink options to include beer and wine. The reception usually includes a decent salad bar and always featured good tasting food. There is also a well stocked convenience store-like area next to the main service desk.
At this hotel, service appears to be the top priority. Every staff member I encountered was quick to smile and greet me and ask if I needed anything. Friendly, cheerful and helpful seems to be the by-word for the staff at this facility. Although this is an older establishment, all areas I saw were kept clean and had a welcoming appeal with the furnishings and atmosphere. There is an outdoor heated pool and Hot-tub/whirlpool that is open year-round. There is also a very nice Gazebo with seats and 2 grills for guests to use. This is a Pet friendly hotel with a waste disposal station close to the pet walking area.
The suites are located in 3 separate buildings with building # 1 being L-shaped with about 23 rooms on each of the 3 floors. The entrances for these suites are all off of interior hallways. There is an elevator for access to the upper rooms. Buildings 2 and 3 have exterior entrances and stairwells for access to the 2nd floor. All of these entrances have overhead cover but are somewhat exposed to the elements. Each building is separated from the lodge by about 20 feet of walkway so a heavy rain could make for a little discomfort.
I stayed in a single King suite on the 1st floor of building 1 farthest from the lodge. My room was directly next to an exterior entrance and I was concerned about the door slamming but discovered the maintenance folks have the hydraulic closers adjusted to close with a slight click; I was surprised that exterior door noise was never a factor. The suites here are somewhat roomier than the newer Homewoods and are well furnished with nice comfortable styling. There are plenty of drawers for storage and adequate cupboards in the kitchen. The bed was quite comfortable with plenty of pillows. The hotel has plenty of well lit, free parking spaces, most of which are not far from the building entrances.

With all this being said, the single most rewarding quality of my stay here was the sincere friendliness and helpful attitude exhibited by every staff member. Every interaction I had with this fine team left me feeling appreciated and welcome as part of the hotel family. Seldom do we frequent travelers get to feel so much at home. I loved my stay here and heartily recommend staying here when in the beautiful city of Savannah. The hotel is a little hard to find but it is located between Abercorn and White Bluff road just off of Lee Blvd between the Fairfield Inn and the Residence Inn. Finding it is well worth the effort!

Room Tip: Building 1 top floor even number room away from elevator and stairs are quietest.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank WWWdotnotyoursdotcom
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear WWWdotnotyoursdotcom,

Wow! We are so happy that you thoroughly enjoyed everything we have to offer! We enjoyed you staying with us and really appreciate you sharing your experience with other travelers. I will also be sure to share your comments with our team, as they just get even more motivated to make sure that every guest who stays with us, loves it as much as you do.

It was truly our pleasure having you as our guest and we hope you will come back soon!

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed at the Homewood Suites in Savannah for a weekend for our son's soccer tournament in early December 2011. The hotel entrance was hard to find and the office was also not the easiest to find. The hotel looks more like an apartment complex than a hotel although the rooms are fine. We had a problem the first night because the room did not have heat. It turns out there is a switch in the closet that looks like a light switch that turns the HVAC system off. I'm not sure if we turned it off or it was already off. I called to let them know of the situation and no one realized that it was just a simple flip of a switch to turn the HVAC on. They promised to send a technician and that did not happen. Later ther next day a manager showed up and flipped the switch and we were fine.

The breakfast was very good and our family had plenty to eat. We did like this hotel but were not overwhelmed by it. We could take it or leave it although it was clean and convenient.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Charlestonfamily,

Thank you for staying with us during your son's soccer tournament and reviewing our hotel! We're happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and got plenty to eat. I wanted to let you know that we will be receiving a $3 million dollar renovation in the next few months and better signage will be a part of it.

Please accept my apology for the HVAC switch. That was a miscommunication with a brand new maintenance technician which we have rectified. We have labels on those switches in our suites, and apparently it was missing in your suite. We have taken care of it so thank you for letting us know.

We want to thank you and your family for staying with us, and hope you will come back in the future and see our improvements!

Castlecrag, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stay somewhere else at half the price.

VERY disappointing experience.

If this were the ONLY Hotel in Savannah it would suffice, but it is not - I drove past 50 others trying to find this, and that is NOT good enough.

I am a Hilton HHonors Diamond top level member, so stay at a lot of Hilton properties. Globally.

FINDING this joint via their website directions would defy anyone, other than a local or staff member I think.

The hotel’s own website tells you when driving north on I95 to drive right pass this place for 15 miles, to the 94 Exit.

Did that … and looked around the ton of Hotels there – most being HALF the $100+ with tax rate I booked this at for Friday Jan 6.

Wasted a fruitless half hour at Exit 94 looking for this place among the 20 or so Hotels there, and asked in desperation at a Hampton Inn there where it was. He says drive down 15 miles BACK south down Abercorn Street.

Great. No mention of Abercorn Street on Hotel website.

Do that and finally find this place when well dark. We HAD hoped to arrive about sunset. Been driving all day.

After all the heated arguments in car over this, after a very long day driving, feel like the usual Manager’s free drinks and supper session MORE than usual, after wasting a good hour of our vacation time and gas.

Ask what time that reception runs to. “We only have that Monday to Thursday” she replies. Huh????? What’s wrong with Friday?

Any savvy manager would have offered a Diamond HHonors a bottle of wine etc as a small consolation, especially as I was already heated up with her after the quite confusing and impossible to follow directions on their own website. (That she had agreed were misleading.)

Nope – get key to our standard room 116 .. not even the very smallest of Diamond upgrades to the 10 bucks higher priced fireplace rooms. Thanks so much Homewood Savannah.

She did not seem to find it odd, that guests being advised to drive 15 miles north past the hotel, to then drive 15 mlles south was strange in any way when gas is $3.30 a gallon.

The hotel has a strange layout, and finding the way to lobby is a trial. If it was raining you’d get totally soaked doing it.

The place is rather jaded looking - from the front entry door handles that are worn smooth and not clean, to the other areas I saw.

Bathroom area is only 2 yards from bed, and has no door so no privacy at all – strange. There are painted over switches sating “LIGHT” and “CEILING FAN” – neither of which did anything! Plain sloppy.

Book anything at all around Exit 94 I’d have done in hindsight, (and saved an hour, $50, and raised blood pressure) except I’d have been charged for this booking as a ‘no show’.

I generally love Hilton properties, but this one let me down - sorry.

There are far better options I feel sure.

Room Tip: Book something else, at exit 94!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ozstamps
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear ozstamps,

Please accept my apology for your dissatisfaction with our hotel and directions. I have checked the website and the directions are correct but would appreciate any suggestions you may have to make them more clear for our out of town guests. There are many hotels right on the interstate to choose from, but if you want to be close to the Historic District without paying the higher prices, the Homewood Suites is an excellent choice. All Homewood's offer the complimentary Suite Start breakfast 7 days a week, and the Welcome Home Reception Monday through Thursday which includes dinner, salad bar, beer, wine, lemonade and iced tea.

I'm also sorry that we were unable to upgrade you as we were sold out, and could only give you the suite you had reserved. We are one of the first 8 Homewood's ever built which makes us 20 years old. We have 3 separate buildings of suites. Two have exterior entrances (like condos) to your suite and one has interior entrances (like the newer Homewood's). All of our suites are much larger than they are built today. Our last renovation was in 2008, but I wanted to let you know that we will be receiving a $3 million dollar renovation within the next few months and hope to have it completed by the end of summer. Please come back to see our improvements!

We hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next visit to Savannah.

Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We had an awesome Thanksgiving weekend with my 2 sisters, Mom, husbands, man friend, nieces, sons, friends, and mother-in laws. Really up there in the top 5. So many reasons to go to Savannah, but today I am talking about the Homewood Suite in Savannah. When, traveling stay at Homewood Suite Savannah. Great service, great King size bed, breakfast, staff, Hot Tub...and pretty good location to get around the city. And super dog friendly, first time we traveled with my dog.

Room Tip: Get the rooms on the outside as the rooms are suites, SOme buildings have 6 rooms in a hall, then th...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
debbiemcline, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Savannah, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Dear Phyllis S,

Wow! It sounds like you had a great time in Savannah and at our hotel. Thank you so much for the review and especially for recognizing our team! We are indeed close to everything, and the free hot breakfast buffet and the complimentary Welcome Home Reception (Monday through Thursday evenings) which includes dinner, salad bar, beer, wine, iced tea and lemonade make it a great value. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the hot tub and for future stays I wanted to let you know that our heated pool is open year round as well.

I did want to let you know that our entire hotel is suites (either 1 or 2 bedrooms) with the separate living room/kitchen area. The only difference in the buildings are that one building has interior hallways to get to your suite and the other two buildings have walk up suites meaning you don't have to go through a hallway to get to your room (more like an apartment or condo). Just request your preference and while we can't guarantee suite location, we will do our best to get you where you want to be.

It was great to hear that you got to spend Thanksgiving with your family and pet, and look forward to you visiting with us again soon!

Georgia
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I really enjoyed staying here. The one bedroom suite was really nice and comfortable.
Clean and quiet. Front desk crew was very nice.Will very much consider staying here again when visiting town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Dear GeorgiaNightryder,

Thank you for your review and sharing it with others. Our suites are definitely spacious, clean and comfortable, and our entire team takes pride in making sure you enjoy yourself at our hotel. We're happy to hear that you did, and look forward to you coming back soon!