“Hampton Inn River St disappoints”

Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #14 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
NY
“Hampton Inn River St disappoints”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Hampton Inns are my go-to hotels. Never disappoints. However this HI in the historic district really needs some TLC. Our stay started with no hot water or water pressure so a day was spent without but during the evening hours a pump was replaced. The front desk was swamped with complaints. Many guests left and were sent to other hotels. Manager Leonard was polite. The blond thin man manager was not. Rude rude rude. Apathy seemed to reign here at this hotel from housekeeping to front desk. The concierges were very gracious as was Leonard the manager but there is only so much one man can do. Good help is hard to find. The rooms were dated and worn. Bedding was lumpy and worn. Carpets dingy and worn and forget the pool area which was neglected and unkept. Perhaps they were short staffed when I was there but the hotel was full. Breakfast on styrofoam plates and plastic cups with artificial eggs adds insult to injury for 200 plus a night . I know that is standard blast fare at HI but in the historic district where the rates are higher than the other side of town perhaps a real plate and glass would add to the ambiance. I was compensated for our first night without the water by a reduction in the rate after I asked. I was also overcharged on my final bill since they added a 20.00 valet parking charge for each night. That was removed without question. A few other customers had the same complaint. The staff was outwardly friendly at times and at many other times just plain annoyed when asked for simple things that the housekeeping had not completed..like not freshening the room with new towels and toiletries,laundry bags etc. It was a sloppy week for this Hampton Inn in Savannah's historic district. I will try to post a picture of the worn and lumpy comforters that are usually plump and fresh. This place needs a renovation. And an attitude adjustment.

Room Tip: Stay on upper floors..it's a noisy street. It is very convenient location.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Dane1958
Leonard M, General Manager at Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Hampton Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. As previously stated, the Hampton Inn experienced some unexpected issues with the water pressure, and internet for dates of 02.17.14-02.21.14(internet only). We apologize the inconveniences that this has caused our guests. We have corrected this issues, however this does not atone for the situation our guests were placed in. I would like to thank the guests for their overwhelming support through this circumstance. As 98% of our guests have attest, our staff was very professional and customer service oriented through this entire situation. We look forward to your return!

leonard.massey@savannahlodging.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Arabic first
Hampton, Georgia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had an enjoyable stay here and plan to return. The weather was beautiful, and made it easy to walk from this historical area. The hotel was within walking distance to a lot of places. There is a problem parking in Savannah so it is likely you will valet park at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Pat1212
Leonard M, General Manager at Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Hampton Guest:

Thank you for the support! Parking in downtown Savannah can sometimes be frustrating, so our valet parking option is a great perk, and guarantees that you will always have a parking space. Thank you for your loyalty to our brand and we look forward to your return.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is the place to stay. You can easily walk to anyplace. If you go down the steps right across the street to the waterfront, you can then turn left and walk down to the elevator at the Hyatt to get back up to Bay Street. Very convenient for those of us who don't do well climbing steep steps. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was a full breakfast. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Do ask for a room away from the street. Much traffic on the cobblestone street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bunny104
Dear Hampton Guest:

Thank you! I am so happy that you were able to explore the many great places our city has to offer. Our location is perfect for such exploration and the accommodations are very nice. I hope we have another opportunity to serve you and your family in the future.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Clean rooms, great service and hospitality and the most superb location along the river. This hotel hits on all marks. Breakfast was better than expected for a complimentary and the staff helped out with everything we needed.

Room Tip: Try and get a room as high as you can to see the river over tree tops and buildings
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RC10fourteen
Dear Hampton Guest:

Thank you taking the time to post this wonderful review! It is always a pleasure to serve, and I am so happy that you found our accommodations great for your needs. I look forward to your return, and we promise to keep up the standards that you have come to know and love.

Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Internet problems from the first to last day. The hotel staff made excuses but never fixed the problem and I guess finally gave up.Was told to walk to the Holiday Inn to conntect to the internet Valet parking was SUPER slow. Hotet was doing construction and was VERy noisey

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

3 Thank Billy M
Dear Hampton Guest:

I would like to extend my deepest apologies for the experience you had during your stay with us. As our many Trip Advisor postings will attest, the experience you had is completely out of the ordinary and does not accurately reflect the operations and services provided by our hotel. Please contact me at your convenience so that I can properly address this matter. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Wildwood Crest, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Spent 3 days here instead of only the one planned! At corner of Bay and Abercorn Streets it is overlooking the river and in the heart of the historic district. Old Town Trolley Stops by the front door. Steps to River Walk and water front just across Bay. We were able to walk (and we are no spring chickens) up and down Abercorn and Bull streets to experience the lovely squares and homes and trees and general beauty and history of the city. Leopold's wonderful ice cream parlor is near by as are many great restaurants. Price of the hotel room, even including the valet parking fee was more than fair. We were greeted the moment we pulled up and assisted in getting our bags out of the car and up to the room. The whole front end operation of this Hampton should serve as a model for the whole chain. Efficient, friendly and just about perfect. Hotel is very elegant downstairs as it is in a converted old building. Upstairs the room was very nicely put together and very clean. Housekeeping did a great job everyday. Hampton Inns have switched to Neutrogena bath products which are a great improvement over the old ones that were prone to make me become allergic to the scent. Breakfast fine and there were servers making sure the room was kept up. Large windows overlook the street. Nice. At check out the car was brought up quickly and again the valet team came to help us out of the room. They got a nice tip even though they were in no way "looking for one". Great staff all around. Will stay every year on our way to Florida or perhaps make it a destination in and of itself. Tip: There are a lot of Hampton Inns in Savannah area. Make sure you are referencing the one at Abercorn and Bay Streets as you read this review.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank enjoytravelnj
Leonard M, General Manager at Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Hampton Guest:

Thank you for posting such an awesome review! It is so gratifying to know the our team had such a positive impact on your stay. The accommodations at our property are some of the best in the Historic District. From the valet service and outstanding staff, to the complimentary Wi-Fi and hot breakfast, we have what you need for your vacation to be a success. I look forward to your return, and it was certainly a pleasure having you as our guest.

US
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Nice room, good location. Was attending a conference at the convention center on the island. All I had to do was walk out of my hotel, cross the street, walk down some stairs, cross another street and I was at the ferry landing. Could even see when the ferry was arriving from my room.
Room was decent, nice soft bed, flat panel TV that wasn't really HD, and good and clean Also had a small fridge in the room. In window heat/AC was noisy, reminded me of a place alongside the interstate. You are close to many restaurants, bars, and sights in this beautiful town. Maybe 2 blocks to the river and 2 blocks to Savannah College of Art & Design.
That said, as an Hhonors gold I got nothing, no special amenities or thanks, even after mentioned to 2 different desk clerks. They messed up my bill, was stranded a day because of inclement weather and paid for an extra day ahead of time when I found out. They still checked me out and called my home because the clerk forgot to update the billing, and they messed up my hhonors benefits on the bill.
Upon departure good luck getting a cab to the airport, the bellhop/valet guys will call their buddies and this will take an extra long time (and cost you extra), walk 2 blocks to the Hyatt where taxis queue up if you don't want to wait. Another thing about Savannah, many of the taxis do not take credit cards, you should check ahead of time.

Room Tip: higher floors are best, Bay Street is very busy with trucks and all else
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jlabsher
Dear Hampton Guest:

Thank you so much for writing this review. It was certainly a pleasure having you stay with us. I would like to extend my apologies for not acknowledging you as a valued Hilton Honors member. We normally go above and beyond in this regard, and I will make sure that this is corrected. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hopefully if you return, the experience will be even better.