“Wow! what a gem, couldn't fault a thing”

Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #14 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 May 2009

Excellent location across the road from River Walk, we were on the 7th floor at the front, traffic noise wasn't a problem this high up, and a lovely view of the river. One queen bedroom fantastic price, clean & a lovely comfortable bed. Microwave & fridge a bonus, especially the fridge. The staff were so nice and very helpful, as Brits we needed help on how to get in & out of the self parking garage! Also my spectacles broke & tape was supplied willingly & with a smile. Internet access in reception helped us plan ahead and the concierge had many leaflets & sugggestions to help us.One of the best Hotels we have stayed in in the USA. as part-time residents of Florida we like to explore other areas & I can honestly say this Hotel was exceptional value in a beautiful City, the breakfast was varied a great start to the day in a well run dining room. Fruit & beverages were out all the time by the lift, and kept clean & well stocked. It was in a historic building , exposed brickwork but with modern features which all blended in nicely and a roof top pool area. We hope to return later in the year & would definately stay here.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank New-Horizons14

Reviewed 14 May 2009

We chose the Hampton on E. Bay St. for its convenience to all the Historic sights that we wanted to visit. We found much more in the cleanliness of the Hotel, the friendly staff and the delicious breakfast. Especially helpful was Receptionist, Lavernitra, who assissted us in acquiring adjoining rooms. After checking into our rooms, which were very nice, we felt that having adjoining rooms would make our stay more enjoyable. We talked to Lavernitra the next morning and she not only located the rooms but told us we could go on our sightseeing for the day and the staff would move all of ouur things to the new rooms. When we returned to the hotel that evening, we had our new keys and the rooms were ready and all of our things were in the rooms. She was a person of her word and made us feel right at home at the Hampton.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I had 2 rooms at this hotel that I have stayed at a couple of times. When I called to cancel one of the rooms-once the desk clerk realized I was canceling, she left me on the phone for 20 minutes. I had to hang up and call back. When I was confirmaing what was on my confirmation letter, she informed me that they had switched to an all nonsmoking hotel and couldn't honor my smoking rm confirmation. I had made the reservation one year ago and no one bothered to call any of those reservations to inform me of the changes. On the way, I had forgotten the exit number off of 95. The girl gave me the wrong directions and sent me 15 miles out of the way-ONE way. I called back to tell her and she laughed and handed the phone to someone else, who gave the correct directions. I know I should have mapquested, but generally you can rely on Hamptons for quality customer service, but this one lacks in that department. There were large bugs that looked like roaches in the room. When I called the front desk, they said "oh, that is a palmetto bug, not a roach!" I asked to be switched to another room, and the desk clerk told me that there will probably be some in any room. WHAT???!!! It's a great location, a little bit of a walk to the good part of Bay St., but do-able. I am staying at the Hilton Garden Inn or Doubletree from now on. I won't even bother with this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TMetfan
Reviewed 8 April 2009

We liked this hotel. It's in a great location just a block from the riverwalk. Nice room, large bathroom, good breakfast. Savannah is a beautiful city, definitely take a guided tour on the trolleys, then go back to the areas you want to explore more. We took the Oglethorpe tour (get on at the visitor center) which was only $10 each instead of $25 being asked by the others. Our guide was great and it went exactly the same route as the others, it also has the hop on/off option. Don't bother with the river cruises. The Savannah riverfront was very industrial, not scenic and not worth the $24 each for the hour.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mebohio
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My married BFF gets so little time away, we've decided to do something special every 3 or 4 months. This time, we decided to go to Savannah for the weekend. After much research on TripAdvisor, I selected the Hampton Inn at 201 E. Bay in the Historic District. We arrived around 8:30P on a Friday evening. I had thought we would be able to easily park at $10/day in the parking garage across the street, but found that it was completely full. My next choice, of course, was to park in the hotel parking garage for $15/day. To my delight, the hotel charged me $10 for the first day and $15 for the remaining two days. I felt this was a reasonable amount to have my car secured while we walked throughout the area. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The staff was exceptional, friendly and willing to help with every request. After having spent 3 days from the previous week in Miami, I appreciated this so much. Savannah has to be the most gracious city! But, sadly, the ghosts and spirits did not cooperate and we had no experiences. I have to add, my friend, who is extremely sensitive, did not particularly enjoy our tour of the "rum basement" at the Pirates' House Resturant. I, on the other hand, apparently do not have that sensitivity, so just enjoyed the history! But, most importantly, this hotel was ever so comfortable. (I stayed at another hotel last year -- the Hampton was so much better by far!) You can't miss with this one!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2009

I wanted to be in the middle of downtown Savannah and felt this Hampton Inn was more centrally-located and offered a better value than the other one (on the fringes of the historic district). The lobby and entrance look like they belong in much pricier hotels and are appropriate for the city and environment. The room I stayed in must have been recently renovated, because it was very modern and very clean, including an LCD HDTV.

My only complaint was the road noise. My room faced Bay Street, and I got a lot of noise even on the 7th floor (but this has to be expected with the location). Self-parking is a bit of a pain but comparable to another in-city Hampton Inn experience. The rooftop pool was out of order and the area in the lobby labeled as the "business center" was empty.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2009

WOW, how completely refreshing it was to stay in a hotel where we truly felt like the staff really cared. Ron is a true leader in his field. Wonderful knowledge of the area and always gave the best advise.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple