“Very nice stay!”

Ranked #62 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very nice stay!”
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We took a weekend away w/our teenagers to Savannah, and chose to stay at this hotel for the duration. It was a very nice experience ~ very clean hotel, great, friendly, helpful staff, and the room was wonderful. We chose the one bedroom suite, and had more than enough room for the four of us. There's a Publix right across the street (as well as a few eating places), very convenient, and we were able to ride Abecorn Street right into the Historic District each day we were there. A five minute (or so) drive is well worth it when you can get such a nice room at a reasonable rate. The pool was really nice, and clean. The workout room was nice as well. Didn't get to experience breakfast, 'cause we slept in most mornings, but IHOP isn't too far away. Close to the mall (I believe it's called Oglethorpe Mall, or something to that effect). Our weekend in Savannah was just heaven (70 degree sunny weather, no less, in the middle of January!), and the Residence Inn was a big part of that. We fell in love w/the Residence Inn when we stayed at the one in Atlanta/Buckhead, and this one in Savannah did not disappoint. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank SchoolinJohnny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
henderson nv
Reviewed 5 November 2009

This hotel has everything you could possibly need for your stay whether it be for two days or two weeks!! We had a mini suite but it had a full kitchen with stainless applicances, a couch, flat screen tv, big comfortable bed and everyday there was a full breakfast and every night there was a full bar. The staff caters to your every need and makes sure you get all around the city with either tour bus taxi or publlic transportation. I would stay there again and again I wish our other hotels had been as good!!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sliggy1
Madison, WI
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We chose not to stay downtown because we wanted more space. Midtown seemed to be a great alternative. This hotel is really showing its age, though we heard they're renovating in Dec 09. The neighborhood seemed fine, though I think there were 4 pawn shops within a quarter mile of the hotel - what's with that?

OK, positive impressions first: I felt we had a great price for a 2-bedroom suite. The staff was always very friendly to us, if not always good on follow-through. The drive to the historical district is quick and easy - 10 minutes on a single street, part of which is a beautiful tunnel through mature oaks draped with Spanish Moss. part of which was through neighborhoods with run-down buildings and bars on the window.

Only a few of the negative aspects affected our trip:
-My mattress was far too soft for me - I never have problems with my back when I sleep and every single morning of our six-night stay I was woken up by severe pain in my back. I eventually got a board from the hotel, but that only helped a little.
-I simply can't believe this hotel has only an indoor pool and no patio area, leaving no pleasant area to spend time outside on the property. I never saw a single person in the Sport Court, which I think they should demolish and convert to a nice patio. The "patio" was in a 12-foot wide gap between two walls. It had only a broken patio table and 3 chairs on a stretch of concrete between two a/c units. It was basically a smoking area and was as unpleasant as any I have been in.
-This is probably true of any Residence inn, but the breakfast of heat-and-eat processed food rapidly became boring.
-I could not get a good wireless internet connection in my room. The wired connection would not work at all and my call and follow-up call to the tech support service yeilded no results during my stay.
-The mold and mildew in the bathroom was off-putting.

Ok, now for my rant of everything else that bothered me about this place, not one of which is serious, but as a collection, significantly annoyed me:
-Our diswasher leaked water on the floor.
-We were told a crib would be waiting in our room for our late arrival - not only was that forgotten, but I had to walk two properties down the street to retrieve one from another hotel.
-Our voicemail light blinked the entire stay, even when we had no messages.
-The consumer-grade hardware, fixtures, etc. just made the place feel cheap - not to mention the malfunctioning lobby bathroom door lock that allowed someone to walk in on me--how embarassing!
-It is a very noisy hotel - the road is loud, but the construction of the Hampton Inn next-door is even worse.
-The lobby / breakfast is tiny, hot, and very busy in the morning - the TV was always blaring through breakfast and the tables jammed in the room leave little room to access the buffet.
-I am sure this is also the same at most Residence Inns but the hotel lacked a quiet public space to spend time in when one tires of their room. Extended stay properties often have a living room-style area with a few comfortable chairs to read or work. This hotel would benefit from the addition of such a space.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ChicagoCheesehead
Tallahassee
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My wife booked the hotel without looking at TripAdvisor. We ALWAYS stay in Residence Inn. This is the first time I've ever been disappointed. The rooms, lobby, pool and breakfast are what we normally expect. We drove through a really run down part of the city to get to the place. Our room was thirty feet from a major four lane, divided highway. Car noise all night! There are no sidewalks, no decent restaurants nearby and very little parking. I looked at the website for the property this morning and the only exterior photo they posted is of the front door.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Ohio
Reviewed 10 April 2009

We stayed here via Priceline for two nights. After reading about the "marginal" neighborhood, we were concerned. However, we had no trouble, and think "marginal" is overstated. The hotel is about a 6-7 minute drive to the "squares." At first, the drive is not so nice, but it gets quite a bit better (along a lovely street of well maintained older homes), then poor, then terrific as one reaches the historic core.

The room was large with a kitchenette, though its low cottage cheese ceiling and bathroom betrayed its "budget" identity. I appreciated the free Wi Fi and the breakfasts, which were hot and available in two pleasant rooms off the small lobby. Best of all, the staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful. The manager on duty bussed breakfast tables, proof of a commitment to running a tight ship.

Is this the place for romantic weekend in Savannah? Probably not. However, it offers very good value and the extra of a smiling and helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 30 March 2009

stayed at Residence for a week, room dated, staff very accommodating and friendly.Good breakfast in the morning-good value for the price.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Ct
Reviewed 17 February 2009

We pulled into the Residence Inn after a long trip, expecting the hotel to be decent because it was a Residence Inn . The area around the hotel was not very good and I knew it was a bad sign when the front door to the hotel was locked at 8PM. On one hand it was good that the hotel front door was locked because it kept the hotel safer but dissapointing that it was so dangerous that the door was locked so early.

Check-in was uneventful although the woman did try to give us a room on the first floor which I refused because of the safety and noise factor. The rooms were fine but a little old for a Residence Inn, The beds and bathroom were fine, the kitchen, a little dated.

The noise was terrible, probably the worst I've experienced in a hotel. It's possible that the rooms facing the interior of the hotel are quieter but if you get an outside room, you might as well have your bed on the street. That's how noisy it was. The street is busy and because it's near a light ( sounds like a drag strip ) it's even noisier.

Overall, I would not recommend the hotel unless you really need the extra space and you're ok staying 4 or 5 miles from the Historic district. The distance itself was not a problem but the location was.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family