“Worst Hotel I've ever stayed at & ripped off to boot”

Days Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway/I-95 and 204
Ranked #103 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My family was traveling on I-95 with dogs and wanted a hotel with an indoor pool so my kids could swim. We decided to stop here. I knew that it wouldn't be very high quality but there are almost no hotels with indoor pools that allow dogs in the south. This was a huge mistake.

Our first room was bad. It was in disrepair and smelled of smoke so badly I could barely enter. We asked to switch to a non-smoking room but were told "all pet rooms are smoking rooms because smoking is pet-friendly". Ummm, what? At any rate, we were given a different smoking room. So we moved our stuff to the new room. The 'better' room was pretty disgusting. The floor was gross and had a huge stain in the middle that looked like a burn. The bedspreads were frayed and the smoke detector was ripped off the wall and laying on the microwave. The pipes under the sink had a slow leak which was damaging the carpet. The mini-fridge was unplugged because when you plugged it in it sounded like a broken blender. Honestly I thought that the staff was punishing us for asking for a different room.

We should have left right then but were stupid. It was getting late and my young kids were very excited about going swimming. My wife asked if we should leave and I said that we'd just suck it up... the kids could swim for while, we'd sleep for a few hours, and get on the road early the next day. At least the room was cheap and 1 night wouldn't hurt us.

So we stayed. The swimming pool was actually ok, but a little off in the chemicals. My eyes burned after about 20 minutes. I decided not to ask to move rooms AGAIN, because I hate to be difficult and I decided just to live with it. At least it was cheap.

We checked out the next morning and vowed never to stay there again (and probably never stay at any Days Inns again). At least it was cheap right? Wrong!

When I got home I checked my credit card information and found that they had charged me an additional $150 due to "damage to the room." What the? It was damaged when we checked in. The beds were made and there were fresh towels and soap so it had obviously been "cleaned" prior to our checking in. My dog certainly didn't do any damage... he just layed in the corner all night.

I'm still disputing the charges but at a cost of time and energy to me. Since both rooms we were given were in disrepair, we didn't figure it was our job to tell the management just how bad the rooms were. Apparently I should have just to cover myself. As of this writing, the worst hotel room I've ever stayed in cost $216 for one night.

On the plus side, the onsite staff were friendly enough. The breakfast offered nothing but carbs but it was OK. My kids enjoyed the waffles.

Bottome line: DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: All pet rooms are smoking.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ChampM
gmgateway, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway/I-95 and 204, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear valued customer:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I want to apologize for your inconveniences during your stay. We are working on replacing the carpet in our rooms as well as renovating them. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response and continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future. Thanks for staying with us; we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Staff was very courtious and knowledgeable. The hotel location is very convient to downtown and local resturants. The rooms are very spacious and well maintained. I would recommend this hotel to business travellers and families.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear valued customer:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and that it was a pleasant one. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response and continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

My stay was jus for a night on way to Florida, everything else was booked or way to expensive. One night what could be wrong? 1 Rooms not the greatest 2 fridge was not clean and runs loud 3 tv was something from 90's and the 4th and foremost was while just sitting reading ( couldn't sleep and glad I couldn') was the biggest roach I've ever seen on the ceiling.YUCK!!!!!!!! Woke hubbie to get it, he stood on bed to make sure to kill it it, not before dropping on bed first trying to get away. Happy to say he got it. That ended my sleep, had to wait until rest of others in group waken before we could leave. So again If you love bugs stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear valued customer:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I want to apologize for your inconveniences during your stay. We are currently working on replacing the fridges in the rooms. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response and continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

The hotel staff were polite but not overly helpful. The rooms were somewhat dated and required renovating ie fittings not great, paint peeling, carpets require changing, A/Con noisy etc. The swimming pool looked like it reqired some serious cleaning if not renovating entirely. The breakfast left a lot to be desired. Don't recall wether it had a fridge or microwave. Had no facility for booking tours

On a positive note there were plenty of restaurants and Bars in the close vicinity (within 5-10min walking). Historic Savannah 15min drive away.

Room Tip: There is a lot of hotels in this area for the same price so it would probably be more preferable to...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank NickfromOz
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We booked online and check in wasn't till 3pm and we had plans for the day and didn't feel like driving around with a bunch of Luggage, called the hotel and asked if we could check in early they said sure. So we cheked in early. The staff was friendly and we even got all of our discounts! When we got back from our day we noticed that there were not enough towles in the room no problem gave us more then we needed for the duration of our stay.

Went to the pool later on that evening and there was a family there that had children one of the children thought it would be funny to run around the pool area naked, he had to be at least 12/13 years old enough to know better. I went to the front desk to report the incendent they immediatley went and stop the child made him put on his clothes and also escorted him to his room t speak with the parents. Needless to say we did not see them anymore.

Overall it was pretty good! One of the better places that I've stayed.

Room Tip: If you need to check in early call ahead.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank missdnell

Dear valued customer:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the positive review. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response and continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

My 23 year old daughter and myself were greeted promptly by a red headed woman who turned out to be the only positive part of our stay. She gave us the key to room 119 and told us where to park. We found 119's door to be open, so the lady at the front desk apologized while she changed our keys to room 112. We parked, unloaded our luggage, and planned to relax for awhile. There was no ice bucket visible, so my daughter went to the front desk for one and brought back some ice in it. When I put our drink bottle in the refridgerator, I found the ice bucket there with the previous tenant's ice in it. I walked a short way barefoot on the carpet, and the bottoms of my feet were black from the filth of it. I showered, and used a stained but clean smelling towel to dry. As there were no Kleenex in the holder, I also procured those from the front desk. The three employees behind the desk at that time exhibited zero customer service. After checking the beds carefully we slept fitfully through the night as people were loud in the parking lot outside our door. When I went to make coffee the next morning, I saw that the coffee maker had old dirty water left in the top. We dressed, got coffee and juice in the lobby, and checked out. All I expected was a clean basic room and a good nights sleep. Days Inn did not deliver either. The nice lady was once again behind the desk when I checked out, and she did apologize and take $20 off the bill.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Graciel00

Dear valued customer:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I want to apologize for your inconveniences during your stay. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response and continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night a year ago and the room we had then was reasonable for the price. On this most recent trip, we stayed for four nights and our room was awful. The carpet was dirty, wet, and with bugs. The king "suite" room had a jet tub which was absolutely disgusting and the light in it did not work well. The breakfast offered did not have a very good selection or a fresh selection... it didn't even had wheat sliced bread...
Our last two days there the pool and the spa were closed due to chemicals put in it to clean and clear it...we were told... it was dirty on the first day we were there...
As for the staff... the individuals that checked us in and checked us out were friendly and did the best they could. As for any other staff... don't ask for anything or even for a Good Morning because its not going to happen... not even a smile... Southern hospitality... not at this location. I am a Gold Rewards Member and for the price, amenities and service we received... we will never stay at this hotel and will never recommend it again. At check-out I complained about the conditions and asked to speak with the manager, which was not available, and was to call me back.. never happened... STAY CLEAR OF THIS LOCATION.... AWFUL

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family