“Did not meet expectations”

Baymont Inn & Suites Savannah Midtown
Ranked #62 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I had high expectations for this hotel based on the website and the Sales Manager's, Alexa, great customer service. However when we arrived, it was not as nice as the website made it seem and the manager on duty did not seem very knowledgable. He had to make us 5 hotel room keys before one worked and was not dressed professionally. All of our rooms were supposed to be non-smoking, but one of them smelled like smoke and one of the handles broke off of the door. There were also bugs in one room. The staff was friendly, they gave us a good group discount, and the continental breakfast was tasty, but overall I was a little disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Alexa H, Director of Sales at Baymont Inn & Suites Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear O819MOanonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent experience at our hotel. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. After some recent changes, we have been ordering brand new Fairfield Inn uniforms for all of our staff since we have a fairly new team. All of our employees now have uniforms and are required to wear them. We are a 100% no smoking hotel, however we do have some rule breakers, so I apologize that you experienced that smell. We are using your review to better our services. Once again, we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Fairfield is the economy level of the various Marriott properties. As I entered the lobby, I was shocked to see an employee slumped in an overstuffed chair talking on her cell phone. In over twenty years of travel in the Marriott system, hotels, motels, resorts and timeshares, I never saw anything like this. It just isn’t professional and presents a poor image. The rest of the staff was Marriott excellent, right down to the maintenance men that fixed the broken night latch on my room door. Marriott properties are usually maintained to the hilt. This one is not. The doors at the lobby entrance and elevator need cleaning and paint. There was black mold on my room ceiling and on the bathroom ceiling. On the more positive note, the staff was very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The concierge was especially helpful and really knows Savannah. At 5PM is the managers welcome in the breakfast area. There was a nice assortment of crackers and cheese. Although I didn’t try it the chili and toppings looked good. There was enough food there to make a meal on. The breakfast buffet is excellent with something for everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms here are small but this is a more ecomony level property. If you go to Savannah to do the tou...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear captmorgan40,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent experience with us. I happened to see the situation with the employee you are referring to and we have made it clear to all staff that this is not acceptable. We have since painted the doors to the entrance to the hotel as well as some other "refreshers". We are also making a point to correct your other mentioned issues. We are glad that you enjoyed our manager's reception. Come back again and join us for Fiesta Friday's in the breakfast area.

alexa.hankinson@marriott.com

Reviewed 26 August 2013

The staff was gracious and very helpful. The receptionist Lynn was just awesome. The manager gave me a great discount and was professional and cheerful.

I even had my company signed a contract to chose this facility as our preferred accommodation while my colleagues and myself are in town.

High marks guys.

Cheers

Room Tip: Room in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Fai Y

Dear Fai,

Thank you so much for your kind response. Our staff definitely enjoyed having you as our guest. We will be sure to commend Lynn for her great service. Thank you for your loyalty to our brand and hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

alexa.hankinson@marriott.com

Reviewed 16 August 2013

My wife and I checked in ion Aug 12, 2013. We were booked for a third floor room but upon arrival we were told that the third floor rooms were being renovated (never heard a sound from construction).The receptionists Amanda and Toya were just AWESOME, very informative and help in everyway > such lovely ladies) We were given a 2nd floor room and we were told that if there was anything that we needed to please let them know. The bed was very comfortable and the room clean) We were out of our room on the 13th by 6:30am and returned by 11:00 and our room was immaculately cleaned, bed made and fresh towels, so clean that you could smell the freshness (this was everyday of our stay). My wife stated that she was impressed that the room key was needed to get to the 2nd and 3rd floor which is a safety feature, so if you have children or older parents (especially with alzheimers, kinda dumb huh!) please make sure that you accompany them with a key. We did get this room on groupon and received an awesome rate, but even if we paid full rate, we will stay again. The ladies that serviced breakfast and the manager's reception were wonderful, they were very efficient and kept everything plentiful. As for the hot broccoli and cheese soup it was delicious and comforting for a hot August afternoon...sometimes you just need a hot meal! As for privacy and quietness it was great, I have stayed at 5*hotels that had people and kids making noise ALL night long, but we had no problems at the Fairfeild. Everyone was great! I want to say, "Thank - you to everyone for a WONDERFUL time. - Mr. Bracken

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Laurie L, Director of Sales at Baymont Inn & Suites Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Mr. Bracken,

Thank you so much for your comments and for such a gret review!! It is always a joy to hear that our guest enjoyed their stay with us.

The General Manager and Staff of our Fairfield Inn Savannah Midtown take great pride in making sure that our guest's needs are met and that everyone enjoys their stay with us.

You mentioned that the hotel is under going renovations. I am glad to hear that you weren't inconvenienced in any way with all of the changes and construction. We anticipate the renovations to be completed by Mid-November 2013.

We are looking forward to seeing you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Pros: Friendly staff. Checked in and Adrin was able to switch my single to a double. Overlooked the pool. Nice comfy beds. Clean room with a air cleaner. Breakfast buffet was great. The housekeeper that oversaw it, eager to help. Construction going on, but never saw or heard a thing.
Cons: Breakfast room does not have enough chairs and tables. So, get there early. If you want a seat.
Never used the pool or the fitness room or the laundry room.

Room Tip: The further you are away from the elevator the less traffic goes past your room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ablegator,

Thank you so much for your comments. It's always great to get from our guest about their stay with us.

Our General Manager and Staff takes great pride in our hotel and ensuring that every guest has a pleasant and enjoyable stay with us.

You mentioned the renovations, and we are pleased to hear that you weren't inconvenienced in any way by the construction. The renovations are scheduled to be completed by Mid-November 2013.

We are looking forward to having you and your guest with us again in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed at this Fairfield Inn for four nights with my girlfriend for our vacation. I was very disappointed with the service and the room. Where do I start. First off; we found out when we got there that many of the rooms do not come equipped with refrigerator or microwave ovens as advertised. I work for Marriott and I know their standards. One thing that struck me a bit odd was the receptionist as we were checking in. She was a very pleasant young lady; but I noticed a lot of visible body tattoos on here. I know for a FACT that this is a NO NO as an employee of the Marriott brand. They usually have the men and women cover those up with either wearing long enough clothing or with a band aid or something. A few days during our stay; we had to actually go and ask for clean bathing clothes and towels; which should be supplied when the room attendants come around to do their routine cleaning of the rooms. On one particular day I notice they didn't even bother to fix the bed; and on one of the few days when they did; they didn't even bother to change the sheets. The reason I knew they didn't change the sheets is because; I made a mistake and spilled a little soy sauce on the sheets when I was eating sushi one evening. This is not the Marriott standards that I am accustom to. As I've stated; I work for Marriott and I've also stayed at other Marriott properties during vacations and business and I've never received such sub par service.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here; from what I'm being told is you should request an Executive Suite...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Laurie L, Director of Sales at Baymont Inn & Suites Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear Octavius C,

Thank you for your comments. I would frst like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at the Fairfield Inn Savannah Midtown.

The hotel was purchased by our company on May 10, 2013 and as you may have noticed we are in the first stages of a renovation to the propety. However, guest satisfaction should not suffer during the period and again I apologize that we fell short of your expectations.

The housekeeping items that you mentioned are being investigated and more thorough training is being held this coming week with our housekeeping staff.

We certainly hope that you give us another try the next time you are in the Savannah area.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights while we vacationed. I was absolutely upset with the experience. 1st it's as that the rooms have refrigerators and microwaves. That's a lie. Only the 3rd floor does. Once we ha to go actually go and ask for towels and it was 12 in the afternoon. Another time they came in to change out the towels and left the bed unmade. What was the point in coming in the room. The only thing that was good was the breakfast. I'm thankful that we found a deal on groupon because if we would have paid he original price we i think we would have left and went next door to the residence inn. We will not be staying here ever again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear BlendedBeautifully,

Thank you for your comments. Please allow me to apologize for the housekeeping issues that your experienced while a guest at the Fairfield Inn Savannah Midtown. I assure you these problems are not tolerated and are being correctly with more thorough staff training in housekeeping this coming week.

As you may have notice we are in the process of renovating the hotel and when completed all rooms will have micorwaves and refirgerators.

If you are ever in the Savannah area again we would greatly appreciate you giving us another try.