The staff is great, the hotel room, not so much. Check in was easy as usual. Jennifer on the desk was very nice and helpful. Up to room 334. Nicely decorated. Like the graphic shade in orange. Attractive. Big beds, brand new or nearly so TV. Clean bathroom, fast wi-fi. But oh, the noise. La Quinta's older properties like this one use the worst windows ever made by man. And I mean ever. Every truck, every car with a loud exhaust or stereo, every scooter and probably every bicycle and even loud butterflies made noise that not only penetrated into the room, but was amplified by the Bose(tm) inspired windows. They really did seem to amplify every little noise. Finally went to see Jennifer at the front desk to get my room changed. It took Jennifer less than two minutes to move me across the hall to the back of the hotel. No hassles no arguing. Wonderful job Jennifer.
The new room was really quiet. And cold. At three AM I woke up very cold. Turns out the thermostat on the wall was not working. Jen had left, so Crystal came up and manged to somehow reset the window unit so it gave off some heat. It had to be at least 50 degrees in the room. After Crystal's fix, things warmed up nicely.
The next morning time for a shower. Let the water run for over 5 minutes, no hot water. At first I thought it was because I was on the 3rd floor and it would take time for the hot water to arrive from down below. Called the front desk and a young lady said the maintenance guy was here and she would send him up. In just a few minutes Steve was at the door. He turned the tap and still no hot water. He tried different positions and found the tap had been installed backwards. You had to turn the tap towards cold to get hot. He also said he would fix the thermostat.
Room 333 turned out to be sleepable but not wonderful.
I give this hotel 3 button rating ONLY because the staff did everything they could to make me comfortable. If you read my reviews here on TripAdvisor you'll see I'm generally a fan of La Quinta. But I think this place finally broke me. La Quinta has to take better charge of their physical properties. Great staff can only do so much.
And one more silly but still annoying thing. The TV guide was off by an hour because the internet co La Quinta uses is very poor. The schedule was an hour ahead because no one adjusted for the fall back at the beginning of the month for Eastern Standard time. La Quinta, in what I assume is move to save money went with the cheapest tech company they could. Probably the one who built the government healthcare web site. Nonetheless, the the whole La Quinta internet system is pretty far below average throughout the whole chain. They need to get better service. Even the front desk was having problems with the reservation service while I was checking out.
I'm moving on. My next stay will probably not be with La Quinta. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable, but I'm tired o the rest of the surprises I get every time I check in.
The staff gets 5 stars, the hotel property gets one. What a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For affordable accommodations and convenient access to area attractions, come to the La Quinta Inn Savannah Southside, located just six miles south of the historic district/River Street and only half a mile from Hunter Army Base. We are pet friendly, and the front desk is open 24-hours, with fax/copy services available. A Free Bright Side BreakfastTM awaits you mornings in the lobby along with a copy of USA Today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LaQuinta, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your La Quinta Inn & Suites Savannah Southside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Savannah Southside Hotel Savannah
- La Quinta Inn And Suites Savannah Southside
- La Quinta Savannah
- Savannah La Quinta