“Great staff!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Savannah Southside
Ranked #54 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 10 February 2009

This was our third stay at this hotel. Once April, 2008 and then 2 different times January, 2009-on our way to Florida and then on our way back.
The staff was very friendly and helpful with information about the area. We did have a problem with traffic noise on our first stay and that was taken care of. So I would recommend asking for a room not on the road side...
We had a king room that had a fridge, microwave, and a flat screen TV. The bed was very comfortable.
It was a Sunday, so we got a very good AAA rate upon checkin for that time of year. Since we were traveling on Super Bowl Sunday, it was nice watching the game on the flat screen TV...
They have free wireless internet too and also a computer for hotel patrons to use. I needed to check something on the computer, some people just don't get the hint after walking by a few times, so I politely asked the desk clerk if there was a time limit for the computer and she said she would speak to the 2 girls and she did. They were on for over an hour, so I did not feel bad about asking her and she understood.
The continental breakfast is basic. Waffles were the only hot item.
We would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 February 2009

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. The hotel in right on busy 6 lane SR 204 (Abercorn) so the noise level from traffic is heavy. The walls and floors appear to be very thin as noise from the hall, floors above and rooms next door is easily heard. The hotel appears to be recently renovated and our room was clean. However, the hotel is old and the rooms are small compared to other newer hotel offerings. Our standard two bed room (full beds) included TV, phone, coffee maker, small desk and vintage AC/Heat unit. No microwave, refridigerator or alarm clock. I have to say that this is the first hotel I have stayed in that did not have a clock! The free breakfast is barebones. White and raisin bread, plain bagels, a few muffins, waffles, yogurt (one flavor), coffee and two kind of cereal with milk. Quality of the food was sub-par compared to other newer hotel offerings. On the plus side, the hotel was low cost ($70/n weekend) and is pet friendly. However, there is not much grass for pets on property.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 18 March 2008

I recently traveled to Savannah for the St. Patrick's Day celebration. I decided to stay at this La Quinta based on other people's reviews and I was very happy that I did. I like that it is enclosed so that people walking by can not come to your window or door. I felt very safe and the front desk people were very helpful! I was also allowed to bring my 6 month old kittten and he enjoyed his time too. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2007

We stayed at this hotel because they allowed us to take our two large greyhounds. They made you sign a lot of waivers and give a lot of information about the dogs. It was also extremely difficult to find a place to walk the dogs as they did not allow you to walk them in front of the hotel and had no grassy areas elsewhere (we ended up walking them down a few buildings where there was an empty lot).
The room itself was very nice and had just been renovated. The entire second floor was closed for renovations. We had a king bed which was very comfortable and a very nice TV. There were quite a few restaurants in the nearby area. Unfortunately the bathroom was not as clean as it should be (the toilet looked like it had not been cleaned). The room we had was directly across from the elevator, which was extremely noisy. Everytime someone got off the elevator my dog would whine so we did not get a good nights sleep. Also the shades/curtains they had there did not block out any of the road noise so whenever a loud car drove by (which was often as it is a very busy street) we would wake up.
The breakfast area was a little dirty and they served the basic breakfast items (i..e bagels, cereal, yogurt) and also had two waffle makers where you could make your own waffles. The staff seemed friendly and the location was close to downtown and a mall.
Overall I would recommend this hotel if you have to travel with pets (we could not find many other's that would take pets in the Savannah area) but would not recommend it to a normal travelor, especially if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank mumbuki
Reviewed 22 July 2007

As I was driving south of the city towards this hotel past all of the strip shopping center and chain restaurants, I was quickly loosing any faith that this was going to be a good hotel choice. But surprisingly it was, the rooms were clean, the staff friendly, and the location was actually more convenient that I was thinking it would be. No, it is not in the heart of Savannah and it doesn't have the charm of an old inn. But for the price (about $100), I really can't complain.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank accbiker
Reviewed 3 July 2007

First, the rooms are in the process of being upgraded. Ours was ok, but the a/c made racket and sounded like water dripping. The hallway looks old and dated and you're about 5-10 miles from town, so there isn't much to do in the immediate area.
Second, our dogs needed to go out at 4AM and when we got back, the door lock wouldn't work. Tried keys for about 30 minutes with no luck. Finally got put in another room until the manager came in. I finally got the front desk person to call the manager at 8 the next morning. Maintenance guy didn't have a phone to call him, so we didn't get back into our room until almost 10.
Finally, the staff were actually very apologetic and the management took care of the two nights that we stayed there for the inconvenience of the lockout and actually gave us a certificate for another free night at any LQ.
We won't be going back to the hotel mainly because of the location and the condition of the place. It was just a so-so place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank fchnjyh
Reviewed 29 September 2006

I took a chance for my husband and I and used Hotwire to book the hotel and was actually trying to stay more in Midtown Savannah. After finding out that we would be staying on the Southside I read some other reviews. I don't know why there were so bad. The people were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and nice for the price. It is still showing signs of the hotel it used to be. The breakfast, also for the price, was very good. Normal continental but you could also make your own waffles. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a nice hotel on a budget.

Stayed: September 2006