“Home Sweet Home away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Fort Smith

Residence Inn Fort Smith
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Fort Smith
Oceanside, California
“Home Sweet Home away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Recently due to a serious family illness, I needed to stay close to hospital where my sister was in ICU and on life support. Initially, my niece and I stayed at the downtown Marriott location which was alright. Upon arrival at the St Edwards hospital off Rogers, a major thoroughfare in Fort Smith, we noticed that this Residence Inn was right across the street. We inquired at the hotel where upon finding our loved one was in ICU, we were afforded a unit which was very convenient to the hospital.
It was so comforting to be somewhere that didn't feel like the average hotel. We had to stay 2 and a half weeks which is longer than I normally stay in hotel.
The Residence Inn has a complimentary full hot breakfast every. Three nights a week there is a complimentary evening meal which is light in nature. The lobby is comfortable and roomy if one should want to hang out there and watch the large flat screen television which is visible from any angle in the room. There are several types of seating depending on what one's preference might be: bar type stools and table, regular dining room tables in front by television, and also dining area away from the noise which is more secluded. There is an area outside around a fire pit with comfortable seating which we really enjoyed after being in the hospital most of day, it was nice to be outside and have some fresh air.
The most important thing to note was the considerate and friendly attention we enjoyed from April who was at the front desk when we inquired about lodging. When she heard of our circumstances, she showed true interest and compassion as to why we needed lodging. Her manager, Greg, was also available, and would chat when we encountered him in passing. There is a reasonable priced laundry on second floor which we used and found very satisfactory. We took advantage of the hot breakfasts and other offerings almost every morning and found it to be quite good. There is a good assortment of snacks and frozen dinners if you don't want to eat out. If you do want to eat out, you can't beat the location of this hotel which is right across from hospital, walking distance to most any kind of restaurant you might like, and a stone's throw from the regional airport(which I flew in to and departed from.
On the day of our departure, we truly felt that we were leaving friends as April and Greg inquired often how our family member was doing and how we were doing also.
I didn't even mention the rooms yet but must say that having a television in the bedroom and one in the front room with a door separating the two makes for much better rest when there is two people involved. The kitchen is fully stocked with pots, pans, dishes, silverware, and enough to be able to cook and make a pot of coffee. The bathroom was stocked with Paul Mitchell products which are good enough not to have to worry about buying a more upscale brand as often I find I have to do. Parking is convenient to rooms. Panera Bread is almost in same parking lot and great when you want something different or light to eat.
I would come here for a vacation or any other occasion that might require a home away from home. I don't think it is a place where one would want to entertain children as some may do. It just depends on the family and the style they normally prefer. I was totally thrilled by my stay there. Thanks to April! and Greg too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at this hotel. To start with; the location is fantastic. Centrally located and surrounded by gift shopping, food shopping & restaurants all with in walking distance. It is approx. 1 mile from the airport, on 74th St. w/ an entrance right next to Panera Bread
( try the black cherry Smoothie).
It is a very safe area to walk or run in and right behind it is a huge (Mercy) Fitness Center. The hospital is across the street so the environment is clean and safe. The staff was more than hospitable with outstanding personality's and accommodating to all of our requests or needs.Upon arrival we were so welcomed by Paul, who was especially helpful in providing me w/ some toiletry items as mine were shipped to a different airport location. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. We had a two bedroom, two bathroom suite /w kitchen, living Rm & dinning Rm table. There were 4 of us and we were set right up for our stay. If you like breakfast w/out leaving the hotel, they have gravy, biscuits, waffles, potatoes, fruit and cereal just to mention a few. We will definitely stay here again on our next return to Fort Smith. After observing the surrounding hotels; the Residence Inn exceeded our expectations. Great job staff!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

My son and I stayed here recently because it was the only place in Fort Smith that I could use my Marriott points. The hotel itself is nice and clean. The rooms were great and beds comfortable. Breakfast was also good here, as well as having friendly staff. What took this review from a 4 or 5 star to a 3 was the loud & drunk long term guests. I checked in around 2:30 and the pool was already full of drunk guests. From the looks of it, they had been there quite a while. They were floating in the pool with their beer cans and just being loud. Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, I decided to wait it out, and figured we'd try to swim after dinner. 6pm rolls around and they are still there! We gave it some more time and finally gave in, because my son wanted to swim. We were there about 15 minutes and the cussing, drinking, and making out in the pool was just too much. It was obvious they were not leaving anytime soon, so I was forced to complain to the front desk. 30 minutes later they were gone and the children in the hotel could finally use the pool.

It should never have gotten that far out of hand, ever! This isn't Club Med! The front desk isn't that far from the pool area, and I know they had to have known what was going on there. It seemed as if this was normal for that to be going on. Needless to say, I'll find a more family friendly hotel next time I'm in the Fort Smith area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DeletingAccount123
Bloomsburg PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed three days for family wedding. Easy check-in provided by gentleman named Paul who was very pleasant and helpful. Each time I came in contact he asked if everything was ok and if there was anything we needed. He was also the same gentleman who supervised the breakfast - which was also great. I have stayed at other chains which provide breakfast, and ths was by far the best. Also pool area very nice. Good location regarding restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Check in was quick and easy with very friendly staff. We were allowed a later checkout to give us more time to visit nearby Fort Smith National Park. The kids had a hard time sleeping on the fold out sofa bed due to it being so hard. The bed my wife and I shared wasn't much better but we managed. We got a quiet night's sleep which was most important. They had scrambled eggs, sausage patties, French toast, fruit, juices, and coffee for breakfast. It wasn't a gourmet breakfast but the kids liked it and it was free . There are also plenty of restaurants in walking distance or only a few minutes by car. They give you complimentary access to Mercy Fitness gym next door but I didn't have time to check it out.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
vte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I've stayed in this hotel several times over the past 5 years. Recently stayed again. Clean, efficient etc. Will stay again probably. However I noticed the swimming pool was occasionally full of locals ... childrens' groups like boys' club or local baseball team or something. Didn't bother me that much because I had no time for swimming, but if I had wanted to swim, I probably wouldn't have because the pool was so full. But not with guests. Also one night adult swimmers were playing vollyball or football in the pool until about 11:30PM making lots of noise. My room happened to be near the pool and I had an early wake-up the following day, so this was a bit frustrating as I hesitated to complain. I believe the staff don't enforce the pool rules. Locals also use the hotel basketball courts (why basketball courts?). In any case ... I'll probably stay here agin because of location ... although Homewood suites, Hampton Inn and others in the area would be a lot more quiet and relaxing.

Room Tip: If you like peace and quite ... avoid the rooms near the pool and basketball courts. Breakfast is fi...