“Prime Beef”

Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Doe's Eat Place is the premier place for Steaks and has one of the largest selections of wine in the area. Doe's is located in the historic Joseph Knoble's Brewery which is on the national historic registry and was built in 1848.
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This is the best restaurant in Fort Smith for thick, aged steaks. Huge portions. Prepared when you order.

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

First I do have to say it's possibly the best T-bone steak ice ever had. It's truly amazing in size and taste.

The issue was with the noise
The place is actually beautiful from architectural point of view. But I have never been in a louder place in my life. The restaurant area In the main floor and in the lower floor had private parties. It was horribly loud.

They should have ear plugs available.

I must say the hostess did try to accommodate me but unless the bar area is empty you WILL NOT ENJOY. The meal if they are at least at half capacity it is too loud.

The waiters are all trying hard.

I had to change seating 2 times for how loud and unpleasant it was.

I would call ahead and ask of there are private parties and avoid that day.

1  Thank Jaime U
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have eaten at Doe's in Fort Smith AR on several ocassions. It has been my "go to " place the last five or six years when entertaining out of town clients or family. I ate there on Monday 7/29/13 and I am sad to say it was my last visit. The waitress was a conescending snob. The T Bone was on special so we all chose that. They were out of T Bones (probably should have taken down the big "special" sign that was in the entrance) so we moved on to a couple other items. It took over 25 minutes for our salads to arrive and in that time the waitress completely ignored us. We knew it would take a while for the steaks as it was outlined on the menu the time we could expect to wait based on how we wanted it cooked. When our steaks finally arrived 3 out of 4 of them were cooked wrong 2 had to go back one person decided to just "live with it" after the second trip to the kitchen one of them was still wrong. The one that was cooked correctly (hard to screw up rare) was so salty I could barely eat it. Three of us had the red potatoes with our meals and out of the 3, 2 of us had a potato which was rotten in the center we placed on on the edge of the table so the waitress could plainly see it but she never even mentioned it. When the check came it was $170.00 not at all a shock as I expected something in that neighborhood, and I am not naive to the cost of eating at Doe's because as stated I have been there many times. I did however, notice that a couple of the steaks that were on the menu were $37 each and I was sure they were that price, but on my check they were $40 so I went to the hostess stand to inquire and they said you must have gotten an old menu and they showed me the menu with it priced at $40 so I said they should double check the menus because I was quite sure there was one that said differently. The girl there was very kind and professional and said "let me check right now" and went through the stack and found not one but 2 menus with the other pricing and said I am so sorry let me get the manager for you. The manager came to my table and asked how was everything tonight to which I replied "absolutely horrible" I told him the service was terrible and he asked what specifically was bad about the service. I mentioned the time it took to get our salads and he asked how we had our steaks cooked and I asked what difference that made he said we serve salads 10 minutes before steaks come out so she was right then asked what else I tried to mention the steaks but byu now he had lost interest so I went right to the check. Now if I was concerned about $6 I certainly would not have gone to Doe's because it is pricey but it was a matter of principal to me. He said we are sorry that you had a bad experience so we will offer you a $75 gift card for your next visit I told himthat was not necessarybecause I would NEVER be back. I asked him to just fix the bill and run my card so I could go (mind you I did not ask for a discount or free meals or anything of the sort just that he adjust the bill to what the menu said which by the way is the law) he said "well we cant find the menu you saw so I cant do anything there" I said "the girl at the counter just showed me 2 of them" he replied "well tenderloin prices went up so there is nothing we can do about that" he did acknowledge that rotten potatoes was unacceptable and told me there was nothing more he could do I asked him to run my card so that I could go he continued to argue with me as though I was wrong to expect a decent meal without rotten food for $170 and insisted that I accept a gift card and return, I finally had to say please run my card right now so I can leave! Never never never again wil I go to this place and I will repost this review to every public website that will let me. Next Time Longhorn 1/3 the price twice the service and the food is just as good or in this case much better. I am still perplexed as to why there was resources for a $75 gift card but they could not take $6 charge that was THEIR MISTAKE off the check, but I assure you I will not forget it.

11  Thank john v
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is our favorite place EVER to eat steaks. The steaks are large enough to share (as in pounds), great fries, baked potatoes, good salads. The historical brewery is all stone inside and out and the upstairs bar is unique. We like to share a large filet and order extra sides as senior citizens. The staff is friendly, the fun place to eat is the bar or main entrance dining room. The lower cellar type room reverberates sound and it is difficult to hear your conversations. Also, the stairs and rough stone floors are somewhat challenging, especially if you enjoy one of their fabulous martinis. Try Doe's. Can't imagine Anyone not loving the food and atmosphere. Their fried shrimp is also a good choice. Tamales with chili and chees on the side are very good (even warmed over).

Reviewed 25 April 2013

Don't pay any attention to where it's located in Fort Smith. Doe's Eat Place is in a beautiful old building which provides a special ambience as you enter and are greeted by very attentive and knowledgeable people. Ten of us sat upstairs, which seems to be the quieter area in the restaurant, and enjoyed an excellent meal. They have a good selection of beers, although none on tap, and a decent wine list. But, they are all about steaks and they are excellent at preparing and serving a variety of steaks. They are huge, so go hungry and you will leaved satisfied. We had tamales as a starter which were also good. As far as the vegetable side dishes go the sautéed mushrooms are good, and the French fries are the real fresh cut deal. Really a great place to eat in Fort Smith if you are a big steak lover.