“A charming, old-style motel”

The Inn at the Beeches
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Last week while traveling on business, I had the pleasure of staying at Beeches. This was a delight to my "old" soul. Having stayed at the run-of-the-mill hotel across town many times, I was delighted with this change of pace. The outdoor pool was especially cool and refreshing, not over-chlorinated, and wonderfully out doors! Breakfast was also superior to the help-yourself sort offered by the chain hotels, and reasonably priced. We kept thinking, "You get what you pay for." Definitely breakfast with a waitress and real china was a bargain at about $5 a plate. Just being able to open the windows at night was wonderful. One day there was a bag-piper walking the lawn across from our room, part of an al fresco dinner offered by the wonderful restaurant on the premises. And you won't find this kind of restaurant near most chain hotels. Having your car parked right outside your door is another plus not afforded by most new inns and motels.

Understandably, an inn that is this old has its issues. But I'll take charm and character over newness anytime. We will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: The larger double rooms in the front are much more pleasant than the single rooms at the back.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I had to travel to Rome for work, week after week. The company told me to stay here. After 12 weeks, I said, enough is enough, I don't care what the company says, I will go outside of Rome. On Monday upon check in, I had to always check if the showere was clean. Multiple times there was mold on the curtain and on the tile. I am surprised that just becasue of this, they are not shut down for health codes. So many people have allergies to mold. I would have to be moved or clean the shower myself, with lots of bleach and ammonia.

Multiple times, the room had a big stainint he carpet that grossed me out and I woudl have to be moved. I woudl not have my feet touch these carpets for fear of catching something.

Becareful if you come during catapiller time. They are all over the place and are congregating aroudn your door, since this is more of a motel, where your rooms entrance/exit is right outside. I truly never felt real secure here either.

I stayed 11 weeks too many and would not want anyone else to endure this place. Even my team, who lives in the area, said don't stay there.

Go to the Wingate if you want to stay in Rome. It was the best clsoe by. Or go to Utica, or go to Syracuse, even though it is a drive there are so many better options.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here any way. The better rooms are closest to the lobby.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank trlloyd
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We went to Rome to visit my family for Christmas and ended up staying at the Inn when we found out there wasn't enough room at Moms. The staff was very friendly and wicked helpful from check in to check out. Breakfast was great and so convenient right around the corner from our room. Try the waffle!!!!!!!!!!!! The bed was big and comfy we could have used a few more pillows but never bothered to ask. I am sure if we had extra pillows would have arrived in a few minutes. The bathroom was clean and had plenty of fresh towels replenished every day. The heater was great I brought terrible footwear for snowy upstate NY and had soggy feet each day so I warmed my toes up next to it while watching tv and drying out my socks, lol.

We enjoyed our stay so much we stayed again in April when we had another family shindig!

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others, if you want more space ask for a big room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OSPICC
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This place has lovely grounds next to their restaurant and conference center. Has a large pond that Canadian geese love. It was charming. Had a small swingset the kids loved. Rooms are small but quaint. Evening turndown service and fridge/microwave. We felt at home and were here 5 days. Free onsite laundry. Breakfast is not included but offered at the onsite restaurant and very reasonable. Helpful staff. Just outside of main part of Rome. I'd go back.

Room Tip: They had little cottages available that I would love to try next time.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

The conference center is nice enough and has old-time charm. I was disappointed with the food, which was not as fantastic as my colleague had told me it would be-- but I chalk that up to different tastes. The rooms are a drive away and are acceptable. They are pretty small but ok if you just need a place to crash for the night.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Other than being convenient like any road side motel, for the price, the rooms were insanely small and not well kept or maintained. Everything was dated and old. Would not waste money here again when going to Rome, better more modern and clean places for the same $$$.

Breakfast at the little restaurant was very good, but the wait staff and others around us were busy bodies and quizzed us about our stay......while some might consider this home town friendly, I found it extremely annoying.

First time there was the last.

Room Tip: Only stayed in one room, but based on the age of the place, they are all the same, dated and worn.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 2003Ferrari
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I recently attended a conference here. As noted by others the property is very large. The lodging -reminiscent of a 60's era motel- was clean, and well maintained. The front office staff was very efficient and helpfull. All the rooms had front, and back doors where the parking was. Nothing fancy but servicable and confortable. No WIFI in the rooms but free cable connections. WIFI in the common areas. The conference area is almost 1/4 mile away up the hill. Again, it is old but quite nice. The welcoming buffet and other meals were well done. The staff got everything right without being intrusive.The meeting rooms were efficient. The bar was well stocked and the bartender knew her business. At $100 for the night, I've spent more, and gotten less more often than I want to remember. The group that I was with has been to 4 star places arround New York state, and gotten worse service. And as we were leaving we were saying to each other that we should come back to The Beeches and save a whole lot of money.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Homewood Suites By Hilton New Hartford Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
#5 of 13 in Utica

Been to The Inn at the Beeches? Share your experiences!