“Could of Been Better”

The Inn at the Beeches
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Attended a Wedding. Food was salty. Whatever seasoning they put on their potatoes & fish was extremely salty. Food came to the table warm...NOT HOt. Staff tooking drinks off the table before we were finished drinking them, was pretty rude. If you want NON-Smoking room, better make sure you get it. There smoking rooms still smell like smoke, even though they tell you they don't.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2008

I would like to express my opinion about the tragic thunder and lightening storm that occurred during 2 weddings at the Beeches recently. I was at one of the weddings. It was amazing how the trees ripped out of t ground and no one was hurt. The power went out in the middle of the events and the staff immediattley lit thousands of candles until further lighting could get on the premises. Somehow they managed to still get the food out in the candlelit rooms still hot and tastey. The parking lot had trees fallen all over where no one could get in or out. It didn't take long for the owners to get chain saws working to clear the way even with power lines down. After the clearing, the fire department decided to evacuate the building one party at a time. The upstairs party had a band verses the dj downstairs. When the power went out, the band still could strum the guitar and play some horns which obviously upset the party downstairs as the dj couldn't perform. Unfortunately this disturbed some people downstairs and decided to blame others that the party upstairs were still having a good time until they were evacuated themselves. It of course took some time as there was only one exit on the premises cleared. One owner was directing traffic, another cutting trees to clear way, another trying to light up the place and staff members doing all they could to keep things in order. I would say under such drastic circumstances, the staff and owners of the Beeches did a wonderful job. From what I understand, they never got power back until mid afternoon the next day. Crews such as nimo, fire and police had worked nonstop all night long to get things in order. It is to bad that such a storm took place during weddings but thank God no one got hurt. Sarah

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank sass8
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I was a wedding guest at the Beeches in Rome NY on July 26th 2008 and was just appalled at the lies and treatment to the guests, the wedding party, not to mention the bride and groom who had the misfortune to book their wedding downstairs in stead of upstairs. Her wedding wasdestroyed not only by a thunder storm which is governed by nature, but by the vile and evil nature of man at his lowest ebb. The lies just multiplied by management, staff and all parties connected with this place. They initially told us they had to evacuate the builing, when in reality they knew it was only the downstairs, for they had already taken all the generators to supply the wedding upstairs exclusivley. The police were called under the lie they needed assistance to evacualte the building, when in reality they were called to vacate the downsttairs wedding party with no compensation for the thousands of dollars this family paid to this establishmment prior to the promised gallor affair. The five hundred dollar wedding cake still sits in their refrigator and paid for by the bride et al. Trees demolised the cars of the guests that were parked in their parking lot from the storm, rendering the guests at the mercy of the very people that put them into the parking lot, via the police. The police, like storm troopers finally admitted, the restaurant did not have enough power to supply both parties so they opted to give it to the party that paid the most. The police unfortunately became this establishments personal staff, and body guards to remove a problem management created, at the tax payers expense, and many of these tax payers were at this wedding. Not some visitors from another country, but Americans that pay for that Police department and the many amenites of businesses in the area such as the Beeches. Note (This is a cry for all citizens not to allow such atrocities, by establishments that think they own the law by the wallet, and can bully the people by departments which were initially created to protect the haves from the have nots. We all pay taxes especially at this place just look at the bill, therefore we are entitled to be protected by virtue of law. We did not break the law this establishment stole our money, bullied us and then cried wolf, only first. Beware, this can happen to you!).
On a personal note, my daughter was injured trying to feel herself out of the darkened bathroom and into the hallway which was just as dark. She was knocked down by a member of the staff who was carring a candle up to the other wedding, and who just kept going and left my daughter to fend for herself. I will be sending her to the family doctor on Monday and you will be hearing from my attorney for endangering the welfare of patrons, by your staff at your establishment.
There is no excuse for this vile behavior, this is the expertise of this business, running and catering to at the best of times is a very nerve wracking and stressful day. This bride was just abused by the staff, especially when she went to them for advice to try and retrieve some part of this special day. I never in all my life witnessed such horrible, nonprofessional, abusive behavior from any establishment, let alone a five star rating restaurant. I intent to make this event known to as many people as I can, and if you think the internet is my only venue, you are sadly mistaken. I believe in word of mouth, and honesty is best policy, in other words the Golden Rule, endorsed by Charity and the Love of God, something this establishment has certainly compromised for the want of Mammon.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank jgaye33
Reviewed 9 July 2008

We were going to stay at the Red Roof Inn in Utica, but changed our mind at the last minute and were lucky enough to get a room at Beeches. The room was a little small and there were a couple of small stains on the carpet, but it was otherwise clean, comfortable, quiet and everyone was very friendly and accommodating. We had a problem with a floor lamp which I thought was a burned out bulb, so I got a bulb from the office and replaced the old one. It still didn't work so I called the front desk and within minutes someone showed up to fix the lamp. He couldn't fix it , so he left and returned a few minutes later with one of the owners. The lamp couldn't be fixed so it was replaced with another one that did work. Great service.
The complex has two restaurants, one for breakfast and the other for lunch and dinner. Both restaurants served good portions at good prices and the food was excellent.
Apparently, most of the business here is from weddings; there were two in two days while we were there. The grounds are nice and there is plenty of room to roam. Also, Turning Stone Casino is only ten minutes away. I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus. Since I didn't lose too much I guess it was a plus.
I'd like to thank the staff for contributing to a wonderful stay. We look forward to staying here again on our next trip to Rome.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2008

I would like to thank the staff for an pleasant stay and for their great hospitality. My room was very clean and comfortable. I went to The Beeches restaurant (on the grounds) several times and their food never disappointed. Breakfast in the motel area was very good with an adequate menu.
The have a very large beautiful property with a pond that is located just minutes from downtown Rome.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Hugo_Ben
Reviewed 29 December 2007

We love this little motel. The rooms are very attractive and very clean. Our room had a coffeemaker, microwave & fridge. We got there late and when we got to our room the bed was turned down with chocolates and there was a small basket with apples and water. Highly recommend this friendly little place. They also have a great little restaurant right in the motel for breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I stayed at the Inn at the Beeches as a woman travelling alone.

I admit I was a little unsettled at staying at a non-chain hotel, but I had stayed at the only chain in town previously and was very disappointed.

My stay at The Inn at the Beeches was absolutely wonderful.

The owner offered me hot chocolate, cookies, apples, and Godiva (!) chocolates. All complimentary.

The owner was very visible, working on the property or just visiting in the very welcoming lobby.

All the employees were friendly and helpful.

The room was clean and comfortable.

And on top of all that, the price was about $20 cheaper than the "other" hotel.

Stayed: November 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Vernon Downs Hotel
Vernon Downs Hotel
#3 of 3 in Vernon
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford

Been to The Inn at the Beeches? Share your experiences!