“Not a 5-star resort, but still the best place to stay in Rome”

The Inn at the Beeches
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Redford, MI
“Not a 5-star resort, but still the best place to stay in Rome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

My wife and I were looking for a place to stay in Rome, New York for a visit to see family and friends. We spent most of our visit at The Ramada Inn Oriskany, but we did get to spend a few days at the Inn at the Beeches (formerly the Paul Revere Motel), and we were very happy with our stay.

The Inn at the Beeches is northwest of the downtown area in a very picturesque wooded setting. The hotel is your typical one-story building where you pull your car in front of the door to your room. The lobby is tastefully decorated and inviting, and the staff are very courteous, friendly, and helpful. The rooms are best described as "rustic." The decor is somewhat dated but not worn with age. The only criticism I have of our room is that it could have used a fresh coat of paint. Other than that, it was very nice. Our room had a microwave oven (great for reheating leftovers from The Savoy) and a mini-refrigerator.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant. The food was pretty basic, but the service was good. If breakfast is an important meal to you, I recommend going into town and eating at Denny's (the Denny's in Rome is the best I've ever visited). We did not have a chance to have any other meals at The Beeches, but the property is owned by the same family that owns The Savoy in downtown Rome. I've heard mixed reviews about The Savoy, but every time I have eaten there the food and service have been EXCELLENT.

We did get an unexpected bonus during our stay. When we checked out, the nice lady at the front desk asked us if we had any discounts before she gave us the bill. I pulled out my military ID, my government ID, and my AAA membership card and asked "Do you take any of these?" She gave us a 20% discount on the bill!

The main reason I give the Inn at the Beeches four stars is because there are no other amenities like a pool, hot tub, tennis court, etc. that you would expect from one of the "higher end" chains. However, the Inn at the Beeches is still the best place to stay in Rome. We have stayed in the chain motels downtown and have found them to be marginal at best (especially the service -- the owners act like they couldn't care less about you) and frequented by transients that are notorious for breaking into cars and hotel rooms when you're not there. We also stayed at a mom-and-pop place over by the Erie Canal Historical Village that was rustic to the point of musty and moth-eaten. The Inn at the Beeches may not be shiny and new, but it is clean, well-kept, and comfortable.

I saw another review where the reviewer indicated you can get nicer accommodations in Utica. This is true, but then you have to deal with commuting 30-45 minutes each way and the extra money you spend on gas and fees for driving the New York Tollway. If you're coming to Rome to spend your time in and around Rome, The Inn at the Beeches is your best bet.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

Though a bit remote from the city of Rome (on a countryside estate), I had a pleasant enough room at a very reasonable price. It was clean, fair-sized and comfortable, with colonial-style furniture. I was, though, surprised by the "give" in the wooden floor under the carpet; odd for such a new-ish building. I was pleased to find The Inn at the Beeches in the AAA Guide while driving late into the evening, and happy to learn (via cell phone) that they had a room for me. However, I didn't sample the dining room breakfast, nor visit the conference center.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank DoeHEAD
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Attended a Wedding. Food was salty. Whatever seasoning they put on their potatoes & fish was extremely salty. Food came to the table warm...NOT HOt. Staff tooking drinks off the table before we were finished drinking them, was pretty rude. If you want NON-Smoking room, better make sure you get it. There smoking rooms still smell like smoke, even though they tell you they don't.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
utica,ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2008

I would like to express my opinion about the tragic thunder and lightening storm that occurred during 2 weddings at the Beeches recently. I was at one of the weddings. It was amazing how the trees ripped out of t ground and no one was hurt. The power went out in the middle of the events and the staff immediattley lit thousands of candles until further lighting could get on the premises. Somehow they managed to still get the food out in the candlelit rooms still hot and tastey. The parking lot had trees fallen all over where no one could get in or out. It didn't take long for the owners to get chain saws working to clear the way even with power lines down. After the clearing, the fire department decided to evacuate the building one party at a time. The upstairs party had a band verses the dj downstairs. When the power went out, the band still could strum the guitar and play some horns which obviously upset the party downstairs as the dj couldn't perform. Unfortunately this disturbed some people downstairs and decided to blame others that the party upstairs were still having a good time until they were evacuated themselves. It of course took some time as there was only one exit on the premises cleared. One owner was directing traffic, another cutting trees to clear way, another trying to light up the place and staff members doing all they could to keep things in order. I would say under such drastic circumstances, the staff and owners of the Beeches did a wonderful job. From what I understand, they never got power back until mid afternoon the next day. Crews such as nimo, fire and police had worked nonstop all night long to get things in order. It is to bad that such a storm took place during weddings but thank God no one got hurt. Sarah

• Liked — service, food, scenery
  • Disliked — storm
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank sass8
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

I was a wedding guest at the Beeches in Rome NY on July 26th 2008 and was just appalled at the lies and treatment to the guests, the wedding party, not to mention the bride and groom who had the misfortune to book their wedding downstairs in stead of upstairs. Her wedding wasdestroyed not only by a thunder storm which is governed by nature, but by the vile and evil nature of man at his lowest ebb. The lies just multiplied by management, staff and all parties connected with this place. They initially told us they had to evacuate the builing, when in reality they knew it was only the downstairs, for they had already taken all the generators to supply the wedding upstairs exclusivley. The police were called under the lie they needed assistance to evacualte the building, when in reality they were called to vacate the downsttairs wedding party with no compensation for the thousands of dollars this family paid to this establishmment prior to the promised gallor affair. The five hundred dollar wedding cake still sits in their refrigator and paid for by the bride et al. Trees demolised the cars of the guests that were parked in their parking lot from the storm, rendering the guests at the mercy of the very people that put them into the parking lot, via the police. The police, like storm troopers finally admitted, the restaurant did not have enough power to supply both parties so they opted to give it to the party that paid the most. The police unfortunately became this establishments personal staff, and body guards to remove a problem management created, at the tax payers expense, and many of these tax payers were at this wedding. Not some visitors from another country, but Americans that pay for that Police department and the many amenites of businesses in the area such as the Beeches. Note (This is a cry for all citizens not to allow such atrocities, by establishments that think they own the law by the wallet, and can bully the people by departments which were initially created to protect the haves from the have nots. We all pay taxes especially at this place just look at the bill, therefore we are entitled to be protected by virtue of law. We did not break the law this establishment stole our money, bullied us and then cried wolf, only first. Beware, this can happen to you!).
On a personal note, my daughter was injured trying to feel herself out of the darkened bathroom and into the hallway which was just as dark. She was knocked down by a member of the staff who was carring a candle up to the other wedding, and who just kept going and left my daughter to fend for herself. I will be sending her to the family doctor on Monday and you will be hearing from my attorney for endangering the welfare of patrons, by your staff at your establishment.
There is no excuse for this vile behavior, this is the expertise of this business, running and catering to at the best of times is a very nerve wracking and stressful day. This bride was just abused by the staff, especially when she went to them for advice to try and retrieve some part of this special day. I never in all my life witnessed such horrible, nonprofessional, abusive behavior from any establishment, let alone a five star rating restaurant. I intent to make this event known to as many people as I can, and if you think the internet is my only venue, you are sadly mistaken. I believe in word of mouth, and honesty is best policy, in other words the Golden Rule, endorsed by Charity and the Love of God, something this establishment has certainly compromised for the want of Mammon.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank jgaye33
upstate NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

We were going to stay at the Red Roof Inn in Utica, but changed our mind at the last minute and were lucky enough to get a room at Beeches. The room was a little small and there were a couple of small stains on the carpet, but it was otherwise clean, comfortable, quiet and everyone was very friendly and accommodating. We had a problem with a floor lamp which I thought was a burned out bulb, so I got a bulb from the office and replaced the old one. It still didn't work so I called the front desk and within minutes someone showed up to fix the lamp. He couldn't fix it , so he left and returned a few minutes later with one of the owners. The lamp couldn't be fixed so it was replaced with another one that did work. Great service.
The complex has two restaurants, one for breakfast and the other for lunch and dinner. Both restaurants served good portions at good prices and the food was excellent.
Apparently, most of the business here is from weddings; there were two in two days while we were there. The grounds are nice and there is plenty of room to roam. Also, Turning Stone Casino is only ten minutes away. I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus. Since I didn't lose too much I guess it was a plus.
I'd like to thank the staff for contributing to a wonderful stay. We look forward to staying here again on our next trip to Rome.

• Liked — Peaceful, off the beaten track
  • Disliked — Rooms a tad small
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
LI,NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2008

I would like to thank the staff for an pleasant stay and for their great hospitality. My room was very clean and comfortable. I went to The Beeches restaurant (on the grounds) several times and their food never disappointed. Breakfast in the motel area was very good with an adequate menu.
The have a very large beautiful property with a pond that is located just minutes from downtown Rome.

• Liked — Cleanliness, hospitality, food.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hugo_Ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Hampton Inn Rome
Hampton Inn Rome
#1 of 7 in Rome
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre
The Hotel at Turning Stone Resort
BEST WESTERN Gateway Adirondack Inn

Been to The Inn at the Beeches? Share your experiences!