“Well appointed rm, accessible/safe parking, friendly/professional staff, excellent breakfast @ onsite restaurant”

The Inn at the Beeches
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Our stay was over the 2010 Xmas holiday weekend. Pretty quiet/uncrowded overall. The staff/service was excellent. Very friendly/helpfull. The room was great! Maybe a little small, but well furnished: chair & desk w/internet access, additional large, upholstered/comfy armchair for reading/lounging, mini-fridge and small microwave both very convenient, large tv w/cable connection, nice bedding/pillows and upgraded bathroom. Wonderful breakfast @ onsite restaurant. Great location, just outside of town. Loved our first-time stay @ "The Beeches"!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 September 2010

The people and the surroundings make this place a gem in the rough. I've spent 3 years out of the last four and a half staying here. The staff is absolutely wonderful. Wouldn't stay anywhere else even in Utica.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank romingpeter
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We booked through Travelocity and got a good deal on our hotel. When we pulled in, we were impressed by the main building/conference centre, but after driving around back saw that we were staying in a more modest motel-style setting. The receptionist was very friendly and efficient. Our room, though dated, was fine for our needs and clean- but definitely not fancy.
We explored the towns of Rome and Utica, only to find that there was really nothing to do. And I mean nothing. We thought we would explore some other places on our way to our destination of Cooperstown, but if you are planning a similar trip you are MUCH better off to stay in Cooperstown, as there are actually functioning shops, cafes and activities.
We had breakfast at the Beeches breakfast room, which was adequate and a good value. We also enjoyed eating dinner at Michaelina's (on-site). We had the salad with prime rib, which was also an excellent value, especially since we each got a complimentary glass of wine as hotel guests.
If you're going to stay in Rome, this is probably your best bet- but the town itself is pretty sad and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2010

From start to finish The Beeches gave great service and ran a smooth operation. Our wedding guests couldn't have been happier. And the scenic surroundings are a perfect place to celebrate your nuptials. If you want a perfect all-in-one site to celebrate your wedding and to have your guests stay overnight and be safe, choose The Beeches in Rome, NY.

Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My husband and I just returned from our wedding reception at The Inn at teh Beeches...I cannot tell you how amazing everyone was there. Orrie, Dawn and the staff were so accomodating and fantastic to work with. We had a very unique reception...1 and a 1/2 cocktail hour in a tent with an ice sculpture, then into the the back room behing the bar for stations, then back into tent for a venetian hour....I cannot give them enough accolades. The evening was perfect, the food was amazing and the price was reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 17 May 2010

My wife and I were looking for a place to stay in Rome, New York for a visit to see family and friends. We spent most of our visit at The Ramada Inn Oriskany, but we did get to spend a few days at the Inn at the Beeches (formerly the Paul Revere Motel), and we were very happy with our stay.

The Inn at the Beeches is northwest of the downtown area in a very picturesque wooded setting. The hotel is your typical one-story building where you pull your car in front of the door to your room. The lobby is tastefully decorated and inviting, and the staff are very courteous, friendly, and helpful. The rooms are best described as "rustic." The decor is somewhat dated but not worn with age. The only criticism I have of our room is that it could have used a fresh coat of paint. Other than that, it was very nice. Our room had a microwave oven (great for reheating leftovers from The Savoy) and a mini-refrigerator.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant. The food was pretty basic, but the service was good. If breakfast is an important meal to you, I recommend going into town and eating at Denny's (the Denny's in Rome is the best I've ever visited). We did not have a chance to have any other meals at The Beeches, but the property is owned by the same family that owns The Savoy in downtown Rome. I've heard mixed reviews about The Savoy, but every time I have eaten there the food and service have been EXCELLENT.

We did get an unexpected bonus during our stay. When we checked out, the nice lady at the front desk asked us if we had any discounts before she gave us the bill. I pulled out my military ID, my government ID, and my AAA membership card and asked "Do you take any of these?" She gave us a 20% discount on the bill!

The main reason I give the Inn at the Beeches four stars is because there are no other amenities like a pool, hot tub, tennis court, etc. that you would expect from one of the "higher end" chains. However, the Inn at the Beeches is still the best place to stay in Rome. We have stayed in the chain motels downtown and have found them to be marginal at best (especially the service -- the owners act like they couldn't care less about you) and frequented by transients that are notorious for breaking into cars and hotel rooms when you're not there. We also stayed at a mom-and-pop place over by the Erie Canal Historical Village that was rustic to the point of musty and moth-eaten. The Inn at the Beeches may not be shiny and new, but it is clean, well-kept, and comfortable.

I saw another review where the reviewer indicated you can get nicer accommodations in Utica. This is true, but then you have to deal with commuting 30-45 minutes each way and the extra money you spend on gas and fees for driving the New York Tollway. If you're coming to Rome to spend your time in and around Rome, The Inn at the Beeches is your best bet.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Though a bit remote from the city of Rome (on a countryside estate), I had a pleasant enough room at a very reasonable price. It was clean, fair-sized and comfortable, with colonial-style furniture. I was, though, surprised by the "give" in the wooden floor under the carpet; odd for such a new-ish building. I was pleased to find The Inn at the Beeches in the AAA Guide while driving late into the evening, and happy to learn (via cell phone) that they had a room for me. However, I didn't sample the dining room breakfast, nor visit the conference center.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank DoeHEAD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Red Roof Inn Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
#4 of 13 in Utica
Hampton Inn & Suites New Hartford

Been to The Inn at the Beeches? Share your experiences!