“Well Run Historic Theater with Fine Offerings”
Review of Capitol Theatre

Capitol Theatre
Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Rome
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Having always been a fan of this wonderful theater, I make a special effort to attend some of their silent and early sound film showings----especially CAPITOLFEST every August. Rare archival films , some of them never shown since their original releases, are all shown in 35 mm on the "big" screen. Any silent movies have live accompaniment on the restored 1928 organ---with several talented organists taking turns. The films are well chosen both for their rarity, and entertainment value. And there is a nice mix of genres---comedies, romantic, dramas, pre-code, thrillers, etc. It is worth the trip from the Buffalo area to go to this, and at times, to attend their other special film showings. A lot of thought goes into all their programming--from movies to live plays-musicals, music concerts, etc. Admission prices are reasonable. The theater is run by knowledgeable, friendly , and enthusiastic folks. I would be there more if it were not for the distance.

Kylie P, Director of Development at Capitol Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! We hope to see you at this year's Capitolfest, August 8-10, where we will be featuring the films of William Powell, among other great silent and early talkie gems!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I highly recommend stopping by the Capitol Theatre if you're in the area. In addition to the amazing Capitolfest film festival every August they also have other films and events throughout the year. Between the beautiful restoration work that has been done and the incredible 1928 Moller Organ there is a lot to see and hear.

3  Thank Russ A

Thanks so much! We hope to see you at some of our upcoming programs!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have been taking my children here since they were small - they love the black and white monster movies for the "Summer Drive-in" and the Halloween showings. We've done the tour as well as the Cartoon Madness We do the special events too. I usually go w/friends to the Summer Stage productions too. The Capital adds so much to our city and it will always hold great memories for me and my children.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Love the historic Capitol Theatre....the olden day charm. I can see well, enjoy the shows that I have seen and enjoy an inexpensive treat. Great family experience for a great price!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Capitol Theater is a fantastic place to spend a weekend! I recently attended their Capitolfest film festival and had a tremendously great time enjoying all the movies from early silents right through the pre-code era. This venue has an AMAZING Moller Theater organ with all the bells and whistles (literally!!) and it sounds terrific when accompanying silent films or just being played for fun during the intermissions. The staff and volunteers are top notch and very helpful when us out-of-towners are searching for a place to dine or have a cocktail at the end of the night. I will be back!

1  Thank Louie D

Been to Capitol Theatre? Share your experiences!