“OK for one night”

Relax Inn
Relax Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed here for one night as we wanted to visit Fort Stanwick the next morning. Our room was barely acceptable. It could have been cleaned better. There was no clock in the room. Would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel for perhaps 5 years, attending an annual event. The location is excellent for attending that event.

Over that time, they have added hair dryers, refrigerators and microwave ovens. A year ago, I might have rated it as average.

This year was notably different. The first day, we did not request a wake-up call -- but we got one at 8:30. The next two days, we requested 7:00 wakeup calls; instead, we got 8:30 wakeup calls.

The first morning, when I went to use the coffee maker, it had obviously not been cleaned--there was dried on coffee in the bottom. In the past, we have always had decaf coffee left regularly; this time we had to ask for it.

The first day, our room was not serviced. We were given clean towels at the office. The next morning, we had an overflowed toilet, which was attended to promptly. The person cleaning up also gave us clean towels and said the area would be more thoroughly scrubbed during the regular servicing. I asked that the window-sills be dusted, as there was a forest of cobwebs between the window and the sill.

When we returned at noon, the sills had been dusted. The room was serviced later in the day, and it was also serviced the last day. However, no one dusted anything else, including the headboard of the bed and the top of the black refrigerator.

The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were very poor, having little stuffing in them. The linens were clean, but some of them were badly stained, and one hand towel had a worn spot that was about to become a hole.

I cannot speak about the breakfast, as our diet dictates that we buy and eat our own stuff in our room. In the past it has consisted of coffee and packaged pastries offered in the small lobby.

The staff we encountered were always very pleasant ("I can't imagine why the wakeup call didn't go through..."), but there is clearly little effective supervision.

Our experience this year was so disappointing that we wonder whether the hotel has changed
owners or managers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed 7 August 2013

There was a time when a hotel like this one would have been inviting, even charming.
Unfortunately, all the reviews are correct. This place is a dump.
There are some serious issues with housekeeping and cleanliness.
Why should we have to ask for clean sheets at check-in or clean towels for the bathroom?
Would gladly have stayed if management was attentive, but they seem to only respond to big problems and requests.
With the air base gone, there are fewer and fewer places to stay in the Rome-Utica area, but you need to go somewhere else if possible.

Room Tip: Not possible. We tried.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The location of this place is terrible, cross the intersection at your own risk. The main lobby is smaller than my linen closet at home and the staff are very rude. The room had stains on the rugs and sheets, someone else's toe nail clippings on the floor, and BED BUGS. We only stayed for 3 hours before discovering them. And when we approached the front desk about it, they said that since no one else complained that night- they wouldn't believe us. Even after seeing them! Their maintenance guy (who stunk of beer!!! And was FILTHY) said to us that they had the bed bugs in the past and renovated. So it had to be a beetle on the bed. When I informed him he was wrong, he told us that WE were the ones who brought them into the room. I will NEVER use this hotel again. If the ratings had a scale of 0-5 I would rate this place a huge 0!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Carmakiller
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This place is horrible and that doesn't even describe it! If just the site of the dented steel entry doors to each exterior facing room to the check-in desk with piles of assumingly dirty comforters heaped up in the visible back room won't turn you away, the rooms them self will give you the chills like something out of a horror movie or a crime scene. From the smell of must to the dead bugs on the window sill to the lovely view of what looked to be an abandonded overgrown train track out the rear windows. My family was only planning on staying one night and we figured for the price how bad could it be? We only lasted about 1 minute as I watched a bum ride by the rear window on a beat up bike and we demanded a refund, left and drove 20 miles away to stay at the Hampton Inn/Suites in New Hartford for about $20 more and had a great, clean, stay there.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This has to be one of the worst nights I've had! We were in town to visit the family in Oriskany, had booked for two nights. First...it had a no smoking sign on the door...previous visitors obviously smoked. The heater worked but was so noisy I couldn't stay asleep, it rattled badly! The room was ok as far as cleanliness and the bed was comfortable that's about the best I can say about the accomodations! We cancelled our second night and left, never to go there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2012

As some of the other reviews have alluded, I should have known better as soon as I pulled into the parking lot. However, I went against my better judgment and stayed...only to be woken up at midnight by the night manager, asking me how I got into the room. Long story short, the manager didn't understand that I said I was leaving early in the morning on the 14th, which is a simple misunderstanding. But, it is thoroughly unacceptable to be woken up in the middle of the night and ACCUSED of attempting to cheat them out of another night. On top of that, what is someone who is travelling by herself supposed to think when someone starts pounding on her door? I was on the phone, preparing to call the cops, when this idiot starting shouting that I shouldn't be in the room. What a terrible place, ran by equally terrible and inept people. I highly recommend to anyone who is looking to visit Rome that you find another establishment to stay at...one where they don't attempt to break into your room in the middle of the night.

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
#4 of 13 in Utica
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Verona
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona

Been to Relax Inn? Share your experiences!