“We liked Fort Union.”

Fort Union Trading Post
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Williston
More attraction details
Owner description: The Grandest Fort on the Upper Missouri River Between 1828 and 1867, Fort Union was the most important fur trade post on the Upper Missouri River. Here, the Assiniboine and six other Northern Plains Indian Tribes exchanged buffalo robes and smaller furs for goods from around the world, including cloth, guns, blankets, and beads. A bastion of peaceful coexistence, the post annually traded over 25,000 buffalo robes and $100,000 in merchandise.
Aiken, South Carolina
113 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“We liked Fort Union.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

It was out of the way, but near Fort Buford and The Confluence Center. We visited this site first and liked it better than the other two. The parking lot and picnic area are actually in WY so we can say we ate lunch in WY. With the oil traffic in the Williston area I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this area if I had it to do again, but we did enjoy it once we were there. The interpreters in their costumes would be good for children to see. The history of this fur trading post was interesting and the interpreters did a good job of telling about it.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank molly30087

Modesto, California
252 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 532 helpful votes
“Beautiful Reconstructed Fort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Visited here last month while vacationing in North Dakota. I love visiting historical places and learning about the areas I visit. This is a beautifully reconstructed fort which details the fur trade on the upper Missouri River from 1828-1867. I learned that this was considered the most important trading post on the upper Missouri River during this time period. There is a visitor center at the Bourgeois House which also includes a museum. I enjoyed seeing the exhibits and also the number of different furs that could be handled. A book store, gift shop is also inside the Bourgeois house. Inside the trade house a volunteer provided information on how items were traded and there were examples of traded items. This is definitely a must see when traveling in this part of North Dakota. The fort is well maintained and a great learning experience for all. There was no cost for visiting the fort.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank MSWMom50
Williston, North Dakota
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“very informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

we walked around and got to take our time reading the info there. It was very nice.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank cindy k
Silverdale, Washington
499 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 269 helpful votes
“Awesome history!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

I actually visited in Aug 2010, and it wasn't my first visit. This fort was used as a trading post after the Lewis and Clark expedition came through the area. Inside the main house there is a museum that explains the history of the fur trade in the area. At the main entrance to the fort, there is an old trade/storage room where a costumed interpretor tells you more history on how they kept records of trade items. There is an observation post you can go into for a nice view of the Missouri River. There are also two short hiking trails.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank AF_Hiker
Agoura Hills, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

I had expected a typical western plains fort, but this trading post suppported by John Jacob Astor for his fur trade is out of this world – I thought the post at Fort Niagara in New York was pretty elegant, but this has it beat hands down. Although it had (and has) a stockade with two blockhouses, it was a trading post, not a military fort. I was astonished to discover that there was no fee for exploring the fort and surrounding land; and the rangers on duty were some of the nicest and most eager to please that I have encountered. Upon walking through the main gate, I stopped in awe at the sight of the magnificent red-roofed Bourgeois (Superintendant's) House. There at the gate is the old trade house, where a ranger gives you an interesting history. The museum and gift shop are in the Bourgeois House. All in all, it was a most memorable visit. Outside are many Indian tipis, and just a short way down the road is old Fort Buford, established in 1866 and worth a visit - It was there that Sitting Bull surrendered five years after the Little Bighorn battle.

Visited July 2011