“Wonderful food!”

Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Williston
Williston, North Dakota
“Wonderful food!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Since the change from Airport Inn to Grand Williston, I have had a chance to attend a few events and also have had the Sunday Breakfast Buffet. I must say there is a huge improvement in the food served by the hotel. The buffet was great--although crowded in the café, but still worth it. I have attended a Chef's Table meal which was wonderful--a dining experience you will not find anywhere else in Williston, and have attended a couple events where appetizers have been served and they have been excellent--different choices than the "same old, same old." I appreciate their efforts in taking their food service to a higher level.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Jeni W, Director of Sales at Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you so much for posting your review Debbie! Chef Aaron has really helped elevate the food service at the property to a new level and we are so glad you are enjoying the options available. We are looking forward to being able to do some updating in the restaurant in the near future as well to make more space, but in the meantime we hope to see you at Brunch or another Chef's Table in the near future!

Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center
(701) 774-0241

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel is a dump. The sign out front still says Airport International Hotel (they've owned it awhile and STILL haven't changed the sign, which makes it hard to find). The carpet in the halls is wrinkled and bumpy, and the carpet in the rooms is threadbare, stained, and filthy. The sink valance is falling down, and the walls are bare. For this, I was charged $195 for one night. I've stayed in Super 8's that were better (and considerably cheaper). The new management should not have even offered rooms at this hotel until they accomplished all the updates. All they've done now is ruin their reputation. I would never stay here again. I might eat here, though. I had a rib eye steak in the dining room that was terrific.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Nina B
Jeni W, Director of Sales at Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback as we do take all guest comments very seriously at the property. Both our owners and management team are 100% committed to ensuring all of our guests enjoy their stay and I apologize that you didn't feel that our hotel was a place you would want to return. You are correct, our sign does still say Airport International Inn, and one of the biggest reasons that we have not updated it yet is because our Owners are going to be making updates to the property and that will be one of them. Unfortunately, some of these things take more time than we originally anticipate.
I do hope that you return to the restaurant, our new Head Chef, Aaron has done some amazing things on the culinary end and we are excited to continue to see improvements in that area as well as in the rest of the hotel.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you next time you are on property. I would be more than happy to speak with you about your concerns as well as update you on our progress.

Thank you so much and I hope we see you in restaurant again soon,

Grand Williston Hotel &Conference Center
p: 701.774.0241

Travellers are raving about these Williston hotels

Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This hotel is old and outdated. Need Internet capability in your room DO NOT STAY HERE. No hard wired internet and in order to use internet you have to go to the lobby or restaurant. Upon complaining of the internet issue, their fix is to reset the router and it doesn't work. We saw several guests complaining of internet connection issues while staying here.

There is no elevator, lot of luggage or issues climbing stairs - steer clear! Our bathroom has a fan just no switch to turn it on. Sink is cracked and broken. Window is filthy and rotted wood from water damage. Furniture in our room looks like it came from Goodwill - chipped and broken and drawers were filthy. When we told the girl at the front desk our in-room phone did not work and we needed a wake up call her response was, "a wake up call won't do you any good if your phone don't work!". No offer to fix the phone. There are no pictures in the rooms. The baseboards in our room are mismatched in size and baseboards behind the bed and on the bed wall are missing altogether. The air conditioning and heating unit dates back to 1970's and you cannot control the temperature in your room - it's either on or off.

The hallway carpets are filthy, old and torn and the east stairwell smells like urine. Parking lot had trash all around and the trash cans are overflowing. Lights in the parking lot were not working last night (10/24/2013) and I feel it is a matter of security for not only the guests walking in at night but also for the security of vehicles in the parking lot.

Desk clerk "Vernice" was too busy reading and clipping coupons out of the Sunday newspaper to even acknowledge I was standing at the front desk and needed assistance.

The restaurant is supposed to be open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 pm to 10 pm. We arrived at 1:40 pm and Wesley, our waiter, came up to our table and announced, "I just want you to know you are going to be our last customer today!" How rude! Like I really care I am his last customer. We were not greeted pleasantly nor welcomed to the restaurant. The following day we came down for dinner and the waitress serviced a table that sat down long after us, when I called her attention to the fact we had not been waited on she responded with, "I will be with you after I set this table up." Instead of stopping set up of a table for a group of ten that was arriving later, she ignored us and waited on us 10 minutes later. Customer service among wait staff is terrible. We have started eating at Subway or microwaving things in our room to avoid the restaurant downstairs.

On Sunday they host a buffet breakfast and as we were eating a waitress was saying loudly, "we are out of here at 2 pm" and then at 1:45 pm approached tables telling people if they wanted something from the buffet they better get it because they were taking it down. Pardon me but I though you served until 2 pm! Maybe hours should be changed to 1 pm so the waitress who was impatient with customers can go home by 2 pm because it made us feel unwelcomed to be in the restaurant. Hurry up and get out is they way we felt.

Every morning we have come down to the lobby there have been men sleeping on the couches in the lobby. One gentleman had his shoes and socks off and was curled up on the loveseat sleeping away.

Lobby was not dusted and had about 1/8 inch of dust on all the tables and TV stand. The furniture in the lobby is scratched, marred, and outdated.

There is no continental breakfast nor is there even a free cup of coffee offered to guests. There is also no workout room available. They offer a laundry room; however, it has never been cleaned. I had to clean the tables before I could fold clothes and one of the dryers had oil and grease from rig clothes. I had to clean the dryer on my hands and knees before I could use it. Electrical panel in laundry room has no inspection sticker on it.

Impossible to get sleep when they have craft shows and gun shows in the big meeting room that is directly connected to the rooms!

All in all, we will never stay at this hotel again. If I could rate this hotel no stars, I would!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Val R
Hi Val,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I want to take a moment to let you know that we take all comments and feedback from our guests very seriously and we are working diligently to improve the property on a daily basis. We are very focused on customer service training in all departments and our management team is very upset that you did not have a wonderful experience here. We were acquired by new ownership and a new management company not long ago and they are committed to creating a comfortable and hospitable environment for all of our guests.
We have also added new wi-fi routers as we are very aware that this has been an issue and are confident that this will help resolve the internet problem.
I do ask that if there is absolutely anything we can do to help turn your experience with us into a better one, that you please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly. I would love the opportunity to invite you back and show you that hopefully the issues have been addressed and that we are committed to a higher level of customer service and guest satisfaction than you received during your visit.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do and again, we truly appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback and apologize for the problems you encountered while on property.

Grand Williston Hotel &Conference Center
p: 701.774.0241
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 2 October 2013

First off, read the responses by the management. Every comment says the same thing. Come back and see them AFTER the updates.... really??? how horrible is that when the manager cannot come up with anything better than that to EVERY SINGLE COMMENT!! That speaks volumes. The response we received from her when we asked to be moved because a rave (very loud music, smoke show, etc.) was being held right on the other side of the room, she smirked and chuckled with the desk clerk (pictures...yes). The desk clerk gave us a discount for breakfast but was not willing to move us. Yep, a RAVE held until midnight. it was so loud that thing were shaking in the rooms and the "smoke" from the show was coming in under the doors. The rooms were filthy as well as old. The carpet tack in my room was showing and not covered and convenient to step on as well as rip your bags. We were told we got special rates for the group. Those "special rates" are also showing for everyone else on this website. We asked for the owners phone number but was not able to receive it and only received the email address for the "smirking" manager. That is okay because I will research the company and locate the information myself and contact them. Was asked to leave the room before check out time because they needed to clean for the "next" guest. Strong smell of pot smoke coming from the rooms so heavy that it was extremely strong in the hallways. This is a small example of the information and pictures that will be sent to the company heads to show how their establishment is being run by the "manager" with the smirk. I caution everyone to steer clear of anything to do with this hotel. You will be disappointed and the prices are outrageous for the quality charged. Sorry but there is nothing grand at all about it.

Room Tip: Stay away if you want to sleep or expect a clean room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Tamie J
Jeni W, Public Relations Manager at Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Hi Tamie,

I want to take a moment to thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. I know that I spoke with you personally over the last week since your concerns were not taken care of in a proper manner up front and I hope that I have resolved your issue. We have gone through quite a few changes at the property level recently and our number one focus is customer service. As you have mentioned in your review, you did not receive the exemplary service we strive for and I again would like to apologize for that. We will continue to make this a focus and hope that no one has these problems in the future. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist with if you visit our property in future as it is my goal to ensure that everyone has a pleasant stay with us while visiting Williston.
I would like you to know that we have also made a decision within our Executive Team that we will not be hosting events such as the Rave that was here during your stay as this obviously has caused more of a disturbance to our regular guests than it is worth.
We are continually making improvements on customer service and are learning from our mistakes.
Again, I appreciate your feedback and we have taken all of your thoughts into consideration in order to improve for the future.

Thank you and we hope to see you again.

With Sincerity,

jeni@grandwillistonhotel.com
(701) 774-0241
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Nothing like on the website. The name on the sign outside the building is not even "Grand Williston", which made it very difficult to find. The place is a mess. Full of stains, and it stinks. Pieces are missing off the furniture.I would compare it to a truck stop/ bar. I understand that the hotel is undergoing changes, but until these are complete, it is dishonest to advertise the place as "grand" or "family friendly".

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Random17484048
Sarah P, General Manager at Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you very much for your response. We take all responses seriously and personally check into each one. I apologize your stay with us was not what you expected. We are under renovation and we have made some improvements to the property. We are making more in the near future. Please come back and see us again and see what a great job we can do.

Blessings,
Honolulu
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Ended up here thanks to a flight cancellation. All the newer hotels were booked. Bedding and sheets were clean but the building components from ceiling tiles to doors to sinks to carpet as worn out, totally.
$200 is an outrageous price for the room I stayed in. Only in a boomtown could they get paid that much.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank CrysTiffsMom
Sarah P, General Manager at Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on Tripadvisor. They are much appreciated. We are aware that we need carpet, drapes, furniture, sinks and so on. We are under new ownership and I am very pleased to tell you, all of those things are on order and will be here in the hotel very soon. Please come back and see us again and see a great new hotel.

Blessings,
General Manager.
Gillette, Wyoming
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This place has great burgers. The nightly specials are wonderful also. They salad bar which is hard to find now days. The bar is pleasant and the staff and blackjack dealer are a lot of fun on quiet nights. Bar service can get sluggish when the bar fills up.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Sarah P, General Manager at Grand Williston Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for your recent comments. They are very much appreciated. They will be passed on to the staff of the hotel. We have a terrific Chef here at the hotel and we run a wide variety of nightly specials, so be sure to come back and see us again. We are very excited here at the Grand Williston with all the improvements that have been made. There are many more to come.