“Awful service for my wedding!”

Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Vancouver
Vancouver, Washington
“Awful service for my wedding!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Giving this dump 1 star is 1 star too many. Where do I start? For some reason I chose this red lion hotel as the place to have my wedding reception, that was my mistake. The events coordinator Carol was the one who was supposed to put the event together. She showed me the banquet room we were renting 3 times, and showing me how it would be set up for our reception. All of these times I had people with me to confirm all of the details. So I have several meetings with carol and every single time she is completely unprepared. She could not ever answer any of my or my mothers questions regarding prices, set up times etc. Highly unprofessional! that should have been a red flag. So after being told eventually that we could come in at least the night before to decorate, the coordinator cancels that and says we cant come set up until the day of, no big deal. We show up to decorate and the room is 1/4 of the size she told me we would have ( the banquet room has folding walls), and the set up makes no sense! 100sq feet for 100 people??? I don't know how this woman is in charge of planning an event. So after telling them this isn't what we talked about she says this is what I rented and was in my contract, which was not what we agreed on when she showed us the room. Our bridal party table was literally on the dance floor. Do these people lack common sense? Do they think 100 people will fit in such a small room and then try to convinced me that I signed up for that?? They refused to move anything. They refused to open the other partition walls to make the room bigger, which we were told we would have. The catering coordinator Kim was so unhelpful and rude! We even offered to move the tables around if they wouldn't, after all we were paying for the room why couldn't we have our table not on the dance floor? After two hours of wasted time on my wedding day we left after Kim got into a screaming match with my bridal party and refused to do anything to fix the situation. After calling The hotel manager and complaining, the catering manager Kim called me about 20 mins later and totally recanted everything she said. THANKS FOR WASTING 2 HOURS I DIDN'T HAVE ON MY WEDDING DAY!!! Do not do business here, they are highly unprofessional, rude, not to mention the service sucks. The hotel room we stayed in didn't even have a functioning toilet, and the room had an overall odor. There were room service trays sitting on the floor in the hallways for over 6 hours without being picked up, just gross. Whatever you do avoid this place at all costs. The prices are so high in general. Factor in the quality of this place aesthetically, their awful staff, and the stench, take your money elsewhere. I wont be making this mistake ever again.

Room Tip: dont even think about doing business here!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank katei c
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Hello,

I'm glad we had a chance to talk this afternoon. I really appreciate your willingness to share your experience with me. I'm pleased that we have been able to address some of the issues and come to a reasonable resolution. Please contact me directly so that I can set up a reservation for you at your convience. Thank you again for your communication.

360.750.4909

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a night in hopes of having a somewhat romantic night away. First off. The rooms are way overpriced. The first room we were in had a weird smell and food in trudge from the last person to stay there. We changed rooms and it was better. The trudge in the new room wasn't even plugged in though. And the socket was missing its cover. Also around the a.c. unit was duct tape. Classy. And after tossing and turning all night and waking up to sore neck I'm pretty upset.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank sixgun91
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear sixgun91,

I'm disappointed to hear that your stay with us was such a poor experience. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you, if possible. I would like to gather some information about your reservation and room number. I find it apalling that we would have duct tape on any visable piece of equipment in a guest room! I hope that you will contact me so that we can discuss some of the issues you mentioned. We appreciate you taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback. I am confident that we can provide some reasonable solutions to the problems you experienced. Thank you again for your time!

360.750.4909

Travellers are raving about these Vancouver hotels

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

The hotel is nothing to speak of, and the customer service just as mediocre. For a hotel stay, you're better off at the Hilton up the street. But - BUT - the restaurant is definitely worth a visit, enough to bump my rating from 2 to 4. The prices are far lower than typical hotel restaurants but the food came out quick and perfect. It was quiet, I had a nice spot by the river where I could watch the smoke slowly trailing up from the building that had burned down across the river the night before, and for a mere $8 I got Texas (French) Toast in vanilla bean and powdered sugar, three strips of bacon, scrambled eggs, and coffee. (The Flapjack Platter!) The servers leave you alone unless you flag them over, which probably annoys some patrons who like to be pampered on but peace was precisely what I wanted, and when they did come to me they were friendly without being overbearing.

Room Tip: Forget the room. Go stay at the Hilton but come here for breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TeddyLaCroix
Henderson, Nv
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

The hotel is in need of renovation, getting a good nights sleep is almost impossible. The first night of our four night stay we were able to get about 2 hours. The first part of the evening we heard planes, airport about 10 miles away, ships on the Columbia River, toot, toot, and the local trains who just love to sit still on a bridge and blow their horn for 20 seconds or more at about 15 minute intervals between midnight and 5 am. The room was very small and had a musty odor. We were moved to another room were we could not hear the ships or planes, but the trains, God help you. The breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired. Service was bad as you had to ask for coffee and then again for a refill.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank USNRetired1980
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

in need of renovation! such a great view and location and size of property. got checked in quite fast with no troubles. got a room right ontop of the front desk, so i asked for a different room with a better view because the first room had like a 5 by 1 feet window that overlooked the roof of something. the second room was much much better viewing the west side and had a great view of the train bridge in the distance over the river. room was pretty standard for an inn. the pool was great tempreature to cool off in the hot weather we had. and the bar/restaurant was a great old ship theme which was pretty cool if they could get enough money to renovate everything and keep the ship theme bar it would be a great 4 star hotel. and the happy hour options were rediciuosly good priced.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Areff247
Pacific Northwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

[Tripadvisor needs to add a review marker of "good" between "average" and "very good."]

My previous reviews suggest that I am a defender of the Red Lion properties in general. And I tend to agree with NWBallardTraveler and martini98 on most points. But I find some of the other reviews to be laughable in their criticisms.

Tim1125 needs to clarify his point: is it that his child's honeymoon was better served at a Motel 6 because it cost less or because--purportedly--the rooms at the Motel 6 were bigger? The former makes sense; the latter is a stretch that is hard to fathom. Perhaps, with a few more reviews under his belt, he will learn how to avoid hyperbole when making a claim about a business. Vancouver isn't Hawaii . . . in 2007 or in 2012 (You see? You should check the narrative that a writer creates to see how well it holds up, my own included).

On the other hand, seattletraveler7 is right on one point (which is echoed by Marcus W and Bekula38): the price to quality ratio can be out of sync if you book at close to full price. The property is old and shows signs of that age in some areas. That said, you can book at a lower price via online outlets. But the reviewer needs to stop with assumptions. The property across the river (not the Red Lion that is operating to the left of the bridge) that recently burned down was not, at the time of the fire or in any of the past few years, owned by Red Lion. A quick check of the internet will show that the two Oregon-side properties have juggled ownership over the years. It is also the case that some Red Lion properties are franchises and others are owned by the company. No need to slur a company to make a point . . . especially when the point is already well taken. Never stay at ANY Red Lion properties? Really? That is quite a wide brush.

My next comment relates to DarinPK (one review): don't review in anger. It does you no good and generally hurts, not helps, people when they are making a decision. Case in point: if not Red Lion, where? The Hilton? Fine. A great choice. But you didn't even offer that sort of suggestion. Beyond that, where else at this price in this sort of location in this city? Crickets. I would go further. It isn't needed though. The review reeks of a bad time and a problem interacting with other people. The hotel, dated and catering to a variety of customers given its location and size, seems to be less of an issue than Darin's POV. You really trade rudeness with rudeness? It is surprising that three people found your review helpful.

The elephant in the room is this: the hotel _will_ be torn down when the new bridge is finally approved and the necessary blah blah blahs (look it up if you want) have been completed. When will that be? Between 2013-2015. Major upgrades were made to the property in 2006. Additional changes have been made since then. But don't expect a company owned property to put a lot of effort into additional upgrades given that the hotel has a termination date (or at least a range that is based on when Red Lion will vacate the premises).

The Vancouver Red Lion is, if you will, locked in amber. It suffers by comparison to its franchised companion across the river (at a diagonal and still standing, not directly and now smoldering). But it has its charms. Attentive staff. A nautical bar (the tackiness of which is worth a look). A great view of the river (and the bridge and train). Easy access to I-5. Decent prices if you catch a deal.

I am going to miss this hotel when it eventually is torn down. The Hilton is better but has no comparable character. The Portland version is cleaner and newer and nicer overall . . . but it is a bit sterile. You want "nice" in Vancouver? Stay at the Hilton. You want cleaner and above-average? Drive across the bridge. But if you want quirky and comfortable and reasonably priced (if you get non-standard rates), stay here.

. . . and be aware of people that have nothing good (or bad) to say in their reviews. They have an axe to grind or an idol to caress.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river on the second floor. Be aware that these rooms are generally larger...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank ScottCanning
RLH Vancouver Y, Director Of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you for your insightful response! We appreciate you taking the time to read our reviews and post your reflection of our property. We value your loyalty and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay
Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

I booked this hotel for my son and his new wife's honeymoon. They were very disappointed. the room they got was very small. They went to a motel 6 and said it was much nicer then here. I will not waste my money here ever again, what a bad start for a new life...so disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't book here for a honeymoon!
Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tlm1125
RLH Vancouver Y, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Tim1125-
Thank you for your review! I apologize that the room you stayed in was not what you had expected. We actually have a wide variety fo room types available ranging in size and price, from a Suite to a single queen some of which have views of the Columbia River. Although you do not intend to stay with us again I would like to invite you back if you are in the area. Please contact me personally and I would be pleased to give you a tour of the rooms. I am certain that we could find a larger room that would be in the same price range as the single queen where you stayed. Please do not hesitate to stop by and see what else we have to offer the next time you visit. It would be my pleasure to meet you for a chance to have you back as our guest!

Red Lion Hotel at the Quay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vancouver
Hilton Vancouver Washington
Comfort Inn & Suites Vancouver
Homewood Suites by Hilton Vancouver-Portland
Red Lion Hotel on the River
Oxford Suites Portland - Jantzen Beach
Heathman Lodge
Heathman Lodge
#2 of 29 in Vancouver

Been to Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay? Share your experiences!